Ozzie made HOF list of 29

wilmot825

A guy that could have played for anybody. No doubt about it. HOF'er? Maybe as a manager in 30 years if we can win some more rings. I don't know if we will but I think Ozzie will win at least one more in his career be it here or elsewhere. Its an honor of sorts to be on that list. There is a former Sox player on that list that deserves to be in though......

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
There is a former Sox player on that list that deserves to be in though......

Agreed.

He is in the 500 homer club if he would have been able to stay relatively healthy for a few more years. In 12 years, the guy amassed career totals of a .295 average, 381 homers, 1239 RBI, 974 runs, to go along with .369/.564/.933 splits.

Tack 4-5 more years onto his career, and he's looking at probably atleast 500, and perhaps 600 homers. He was easily a top 5 hitter in the game during his time. I just get the feeling on and off field issues will keep him away, along with an injury shortened career. I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
He has as good a shot at the HOF as Pete Rose.

He was a great player and is a damn good manager and person, but he just isn't HOF caliber sadly.

Rose only needs one vote, Seligs. If the gambling ban were lifted and he appeared on the ballot his credentials are inargueable.

That said, for over 80 years the punishment for gambling on baseball has been banning -its written on the clubhouse wall- and Rose did the crime so he has no one to blame but himself.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)
Rose only needs one vote, Seligs.  If the gambling ban were lifted and he appeared on the ballot his credentials are inargueable. 

That said, for over 80 years the punishment for gambling on baseball has been banning -its written on the clubhouse wall- and Rose did the crime so he has no one to blame but himself.

Correct ... but with a great big HOWEVER .... This is Rose's final year of 'eligibility' under the HOF rules. After this year, he has to answer to what was put in place to replace the veterans committee. I think he'd have an easier time getting in via the sports writers than all the living HOF'ers.

Ozzie Guillen needs a couple more rings as a manger and about a 10 year tenure in order to qualify himself for the HOF. His numbers as a player don't do it. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very good.

And Pete Rose's name should not appear in the HOF until after Shoeless Joe's name gets put in there.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
Agreed.

He is in the 500 homer club if he would have been able to stay relatively healthy for a few more years.  In 12 years, the guy amassed career totals of a .295 average,  381 homers, 1239 RBI, 974 runs, to go along with .369/.564/.933 splits.

Tack 4-5 more years onto his career, and he's looking at probably atleast 500, and perhaps 600 homers.  He was easily a top 5 hitter in the game during his time.  I just get the feeling on and off field issues will keep him away, along with an injury shortened career.  I hope I'm wrong.

I've fought this fight on here. I even appealed to Rob Neyer hoping a stat-guy would back me up but even he didn't agree. I don't know. I know he was one of the most feared hitters of the last 20 years. I don't care if he broke the clubhouse thermostat or not. He was just a force of destruction at the plate. As far as longevity, compare him to someone like Ralph Kiner. He's in the Hall and they are an extremely similar Offensive Comp.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Correct ... but with a great big HOWEVER .... This is Rose's final year of 'eligibility' under the HOF rules.  After this year, he has to answer to what was put in place to replace the veterans committee.  I think he'd have an easier time getting in via the sports writers than all the living HOF'ers.

Exactly.

Sure, if this were a few years ago and Selig allowed him to be eligible, then he'd be in without a doubt, but this is his last year. He's not getting in unless the veterans committee changes its mind :P

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I've fought this fight on here. I even appealed to Rob Neyer hoping a stat-guy would back me up but even he didn't agree. I don't know. I know he was one of the most feared hitters of the last 20 years. I don't care if he broke the clubhouse thermostat or not. He was just a force of destruction at the plate. As far as longevity, compare him to someone like Ralph Kiner. He's in the Hall and they are an extremely similar Offensive Comp.

I'd agree 100%. A top 3 (feared) hitter in the majors for a span of about 7-8 years or so, including an OPS over .922 or better in 6 of 7 years, along with an OPS of atleast 1.033 in 4 of 5 years in the middle of those 7. Hell, the year inbetween all those years where he wasn't putting up huge numbers, he still hit 30 homers and drove in 116 runs - and that was viewed as a bad/down year.

You'll get absolutely no argument from me on this except one for him being a HoFer.