If you were the Colts...

Should Tony Dungy rest his starters if the Colts clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tony Dungy rest his starters if the Colts clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know why this is honestly being debated in the media, as something controversial. The regular season really doesn't mean anything to me, and I just hope the Colts do what they have to, to put themselves in the best position to win in the playoffs.

I have to show you this little question from an "ask the expert" Q&A in the IndyStar. I find this guy to be quite f***tarded...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...TS0304/51007008

Question: You said you’d rather take a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl compared to a 16-0 season. On the surface, it sounds like a no-brainer. But I thought about it a little more and I’m not so sure that’s what I would want. An undefeated regular season in this day would be a truly great accomplishment. Most people say the regular season doesn’t matter and no one remembers how you did and for the most part that’s true. But everyone knows what year it was that the last team went undefeated. However, I doubt many people remember who won the Super Bowl in 1973 or even 1993. The goal definitely should be to win a Super Bowl, but I don’t believe at the expense of risking a season that people would remember for a very, very long time. (Curtis from Fishers, Ind.)

Answer: We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. There’s no question people remember the 1972 Miami Dolphins. And people would remember that team even if it had finished the regular season 14-0 and lost its first playoff game. But the image would be different. Maybe they would be viewed as a team that went undefeated, then gagged in the postseason. I’ll stick with what I said. Hey, if they go unbeaten, great. But every goal – team and individual – is secondary to winning the Super Bowl.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
leave em in

then maybe Manning will get injured and won't be able to play against the Bears in the Super Bowl.

From the point of view of Indy, what do they have to gain from this?

Maybe they could make some history, but I think Indy would have more to lose.

Players could get injured, etc.

I understand why it's being debated...the Colts have a chance to do something that has happened exactly 1 time in NFL History. That's a chance that doesn't come around every day. I don't know what I'd do if I were in the Colts' situation. I mean, obviously Manning shouldnt' take a snap against Arizona...the big question is how much you try to win that Chargers game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
From the point of view of Indy, what do they have to gain from this? 

A place in history. Personally, I would go for 16-0 and the superbowl. Prove you're the best team in NFL history and win it with style (ala 85' Bears).

But I do understand the risks that are being taken keeping starters in to assure a win after homefield advantage is decided.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
A place in history.  Personally, I would go for 16-0 and the superbowl. Prove you're the best team in NFL history and win it with style (ala 85' Bears).

But I do understand the risks that are being taken keeping starters in to assure a win after homefield advantage is decided.

I feel the Colts would be remembered, no matter how they finished it. Some reason, deserved or not, Indy's always gotten a lot of media attention.

A Colts Super Bowl win would get a billion more times play in the media, than the Sox who won it after not doing so for 88 years.

I voted no. I wouldn't completely bench the starters and have them play a significant part of the remaining games after homefield is clinched.

Now, history is nice, but the reason I would do it is you don't want them coming in flat to their playoff games.

Say they clinch it with 2 games left in the season, then you rest them for the final two games and have the bye week for the first week of playoffs. Then you're asking the starters to come back after 3 weeks of downtime against a very good team who has played 1 playoff game already and might have had to fight tooth and nail in the regular season to get in... IMO that's a recipe for disaster, espically if it's the Patriots, then I believe mind games start creeping in.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I voted no.  I wouldn't completely bench the starters and have them play a significant part of the remaining games after homefield is clinched. 

Now, history is nice, but the reason I would do it is you don't want them coming in flat to their playoff games. 

Say they clinch it with 2 games left in the season, then you rest them for the final two games and have the bye week for the first week of playoffs.  Then you're asking the starters to come back after 3 weeks of downtime against a very good team who has played 1 playoff game already and might have had to fight tooth and nail in the regular season to get in... IMO that's a recipe for disaster, espically if it's the Patriots, then I believe mind games start creeping in.

They'd still play, but I'd see it treated more like the middle of the preseason. You want them to go through the motions, but at the same time, it's more important that nobody gets hurt.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)

It worked for Philly last year.

If there's any team which I would not expect to "Come in flat" it's a team led by Peyton Manning.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Garland wasn't that flat in the playoffs for us either (Thanks Jon!)

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
It worked for Philly last year.

If there's any team which I would not expect to "Come in flat" it's a team led by Peyton Manning.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and Garland wasn't that flat in the playoffs for us either (Thanks Jon!)

I find the end of the season for the Colts to mirror the preseason a lot. The Colts didn't win a game in the preseason, and that's equated to a 11-0 record at the end of November.

The Colts don't have much of a problem turning it on.

Yeah the 98 Broncos, the 04 Eagles, these teams easily turned it on. The Colts will do the same. My opinion is that its hard to say but its Tony Dungy's team. He knows his team better than anyone on a message board or an analyst at espn or SI. His decision will be one I won't second-guess.

I'm going to be in the minority here. The Colts have a chance to make history. There have been something like 39 super bowl winners, and only one undefeated team, and that wasn't even in a 16 game schedule.

With that said, the Colts could play their starters until halftime against the Titans and the Cardinals and still win. Peyton doesn't get touched very often anyways, so there's not much to worry about outside of Edgerrin.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Go for the undefeateed season.

Rembember people, they have the bye week after Week 17 so it's not like their players won't be getting rest.

I dont think the issue is rest, the issue is injuries. Keep them sharp, have them play a half, and then take out Manning and Edge (at least) to insure that you are healthy enough to chase a SUper Bowl.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Rest them.  As cool as it would be to go undefeated..winning the superbowl is the only thing that matters.  One injury during a meaningless game and all the sudden there goes your shot at winning it all.

Why does it not surprise me you are saying this? :P

Someone on defense getting hurt, maybe...or perhaps someone taking a cheap shot at Peyton would be a huge blow. But Edge, while awesome, is not a necessity to win with Peyton behind center. And they have quite a bit of depth as far as receivers and ends go...Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Clark...I figure they could afford to lose one and they'd still end up fine in the long run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2249945

Dungy uncertain whether he'll rest Colts starters

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tony Dungy treats the mounting questions like he's a politician.

Everyone wants to know how the Indianapolis Colts cope with the pressure of staying perfect one more week. Dungy usually responds with a tactful touch.

But there is one question that makes the Colts' coach groan: Will he continue playing starters if the Colts clinch the AFC South title, a first-round bye and home-field advantage this weekend?

"I don't think too far ahead, but I do everything I can to win," he said with a chuckle. "If we're fortunate enough to win, I'll do what I do every week. I'll ask for some wisdom from the Lord and pray that they don't get hurt."

Playing it safe might be the only remaining obstacle between the Colts and a perfect season.

At 12-0, they've already secured a playoff spot. A win at Jacksonville on Sunday would give them the division title, a first-round bye and home-field advantage for the playoffs, making their game in Seattle on Dec. 24 their final one on the road.

So far the Colts have been fortunate. With a month left in the regular season, the only significant injuries have been to their safeties, though two of their top three seem to be healthy each week.

With two-time MVP Peyton Manning, two-time rushing champ Edgerrin James and record-setting receiver Marvin Harrison again playing at Pro Bowl levels and others like receiver Reggie Wayne and tight ends Dallas Clark and Bryan Fletcher continuing to emerge, the Colts' offense seems virtually unstoppable. They lead the NFL in scoring and are averaging more than 35 points over the past nine games.

The defense has been impressive, too. The Colts have allowed the second-fewest points in the NFL (162) and lead the league in sacks (39).

But as well as they have played, those who know the league best understand the Colts must stay injury-free to make a Super Bowl run.

"If they continue to stay healthy, with what they do on offense and with the speed they have on defense, they're going to have a chance," Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher said after his team lost 35-3 in Indianapolis on Sunday.

What's Dungy to do?

If he tries to go for the perfect record and a player like Manning or defensive end Dwight Freeney gets hurt, he'll forever be second-guessed. But the same thing could happen if he decides against a chance at an undefeated season: a mark held by the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

It's a tough call, especially since Manning, James, Harrison and Wayne recoil at the thought of missing practice time, let alone sitting out games.

"Those guys want to play, and they want to play all the time," Dungy said. "We don't let them vote, but we will take into consideration how they feel."

Dungy has said he will do what he's done in the past.

A year ago, with the Colts locked into a No. 3 seed and a likely first-round playoff game against Denver, Dungy played Manning and James for one series in the last regular-season game and benched most of his starters for the second half.

In that case, the Colts didn't have a bye.

Sitting out starters for the final two or three games of the season, with a likely bye, poses another risk: his top players could come into the playoffs rusty after not seeing significant action for nearly a month. That's what happened to the Denver Broncos almost a decade ago when they lost in the divisional round to Jacksonville after earning the AFC's top seed.

"There's not that many guys who have been in this situation," Dungy said. "The one guy I know is Mike Shanahan, and I don't think he'll tell me at this point. I think you have to analyze the situation and do what's best for your team."

Shanahan's Broncos (9-3) are tied with Cincinnati and Jacksonville for the second-best record in the AFC.

With records, potential performance bonuses and history all at stake, Dungy would rather wait to make up his mind.

Then, he'll have to make that delicate decision.

"To be honest, I don't know how I'll handle it," he said. "You never really know 'til you get there."

I have a thought.

Would the Colts consider playing their starters until they build up a lead, let the starters rest while they still have the lead, and if the game were to get close, to then put the starters back in?

Would they be rusty if having to go in late in a game? Would other coaches take offense to that? Would they even consider it?

It's not like the Colts are playing pushovers the last 3 weeks - in fact, it's quite the opposite. Aside from I believe Arizona, they play 3 playoff teams, though Jacksonville is without Leftwich.

I would not go overboard holding out players in a planned sense. If a game dictates taking them out of a game, then I'd do it. But players play. That is what they do. As someone has already said, injuries are random. A player can get injured in practice (and sometimes they do), but teams don't stop practicing.

I would look for opportunities to get them out of a game, but in no way would I send them out to go through the motions. That is an easier way to get hurt. If they are on the field, they need to go at it 100%!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they should have prepared for playing the Chargers instead of holding press conferences about if Dungy will be resting his players or not. As soon as this became an issue you knew they would lose.

Now we get to see Nick Buonocoti and the rest of that Dolphins team celebrate with champange on ESPN...Oh joy :angry: