Sox interested in Mike Myers; Marte being shopped

SSH2005

George Offman of the Score is reporting that the Sox are shopping Damaso Marte and are interested in lefty Mike Myers. I guess some of us were right about Myers. I wonder if a trade of Marte and prospects for Pierre is coming. :huh:

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Offman of the Score is reporting that the Sox are shopping Damaso Marte and are interested in lefty Mike Myers.  I guess some of us were right about Myers.  I wonder if a trade of Marte and prospects for Pierre is coming.  :huh:

Myers was great in Austin Powers, but, can he pitch?

;)

I guess the Rangers and Diamondbacks would also be very interested in Marte considering their bullpens sucked last season. This would make some sense with the rumor that the Sox fallback plan on Konerko leaving could be Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock.

I'm all for shopping Marte around, but is Myers much better?  His career statistics are less than inspiring...

Mike Myers

Look at his splits against lefties. Myers owns lefties but righties kill him. Ozzie would only use him against lefties.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
I guess the Rangers and Diamondbacks would also be very interested in Marte considering their bullpens sucked last season.  This would make some sense with the rumor that the Sox fallback plan on Konerko leaving could be Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock.

Look at his splits against lefties.  Myers owns lefties but righties kill him.  Ozzie would only use him against lefties.

We hope.

I guess the Rangers and Diamondbacks would also be very interested in Marte considering their bullpens sucked last season.  This would make some sense with the rumor that the Sox fallback plan on Konerko leaving could be Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock.

Look at his splits against lefties.  Myers owns lefties but righties kill him.  Ozzie would only use him against lefties.

Marte for Blalock??? I'm in!!!

Too bad Texas isn't that stupid...maybe if Bush still owned the team.

whereas Marte sucks against lefties lately.

Plus this should be in trade winds forum.

Next, im not crazy about trading even MORE prospects.

Sorry, I thought I was posting it in the Trade Winds forum.

Marte by himself isn't going to get a Pierre, Glaus, or Blalock unfortunately. Prospects would have to be included.

Moved. :)

And all I can say is stay the hell away from Blalock. He seems to be very overrated by some around these parts. He put up a .750 OPS in the best hitters park in the AL...which is bad in itself...but he was also out OPSed by Gary Matthews Jr and Rod Barajas.

Glaus is a guy I like a lot, simply because he is a "stat geek's" best friend, but he is probably the worst candiate to acquire right now. He's injury prone as hell, he strikes out a ton, and he has a horrendous contract. The risk far outweighs the reward with him.

I think the option may be Pierre...or it may be someone else entirely who we don't even consider an option at this point. It's basically wait and see at this point. I will say I'm going to be a little unhappy if it is Glaus or Blalock though.

For as much as I cursed at Damaso Marte this year... I will stand up and say I would still rather keep him over Mike Myers.

I think the point of signing Myers would be to allow us to trade Marte in a package for a #2 hitter or a 1B/DH. That's why this move would make sense.

Edited by SSH2005

Give it up for Soxtalk! :notworthy :cheers

We were all over this one weeks ago.

I've been researching Myers moreso than any other player this off-season. Since we came up with this "crazy plan," I swear I must have checked, re-checked, and checked his stats about a hundred times.

I'm all in favor of the move. Bring the Arlington Heights boy home and use him nearly exclusively against lefties.

Before I go any further, let's all give Neal Cotts a big round of applause for making this all possible. Without his emergence last year at this team's premier left arm out of the bullpen, Kenny would not make possible the trade of a lefty with GREAT stuff and met potential that simply shot himself in the foot and bought his own ticket out of town.

The signing of Mike Myers--who, for those of you that aren't aware, is a 3/4s-submarine pitcher...very entertaining to watch--makes possible the trade of Marte, someone who clearly isn't one of "Ozzie's boys" and seemed to talk himself right out the clubhouse door. I'm all for this one. All in. Marte still has tremendous trade value--yup, tremendous...these sorts of left-handers don't grow on trees, despite his recent struggles spanning nearly one and a half seasons--and should net quite a lot in return.

Just throwing out this one:

Seeing as I'm not one for Pierre on this team, how about a Marte trade for some primere left-handed minor-league talent to help replace the gaping hole left by the departure of Haigwood and Gonzalez? Although I'd love to see some kind of MLB talent netted with his departure, it simply might not be in the cards. Does he have MLB value? Absolutely. Would it be as high as the value he could net if traded for minor leaguers? :D

/Myers mugshot avatar

Edited by AddisonStSox