Sox interested in Mike Myers; Marte being shopped

SSH2005

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Why do we need another leadoff hitter?

Why not have another speedy leadoff type who can help you manufacture runs when your sluggers get shut down. Scott was the only one who could literally manufacture a run by himself last year, wouldn't it be nice to have another guy who could do that in a close game? Remember the team went absolutely down the tubes last year when scotty went out and I know it wasn't all because of him but a big part of it was because of him. Add Pierre and all the sudden this team can manufacture and slug away with the best of them. That would be a pretty damn versatile offense.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Why not have another speedy leadoff type who can help you manufacture runs when your sluggers get shut down.  Scott was the only one who could literally manufacture a run by himself last year, wouldn't it be nice to have another guy who could do that in a close game?  Remember the team went absolutely down the tubes last year when scotty went out and I know it wasn't all because of him but a big part of it was because of him.  Add Pierre and all the sudden this team can manufacture and slug away with the best of them.  That would be a pretty damn versatile offense.

We have been one of the top teams in the league when it comes to our runs being off of homeruns. We are a slugging team ten times more than we are a small ball team... no matter what ozzie... kenny... brooks... or anyone else wants the fans to think.

We need another high ops guy, not a guy with a .700 ops than will steal bases at a 58% clip.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Why not have another speedy leadoff type who can help you manufacture runs when your sluggers get shut down.  Scott was the only one who could literally manufacture a run by himself last year, wouldn't it be nice to have another guy who could do that in a close game?  Remember the team went absolutely down the tubes last year when scotty went out and I know it wasn't all because of him but a big part of it was because of him.  Add Pierre and all the sudden this team can manufacture and slug away with the best of them.  That would be a pretty damn versatile offense.

My major gripe with Pierre other than having zero power from the 2 hole is that he's not all that efficient at stealing bases. His percentages are pretty bad for a guy who steals that many bases.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
So you're telling me Juan Pierre will hit a walk off dinger in game 2 of the W.S. against the Mets or the Cardinals closers next year?

So you're telling me you expected Podsednik to hit a walk-off vs Houston's Lidge and hit another vs Boston?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
We have been one of the top teams in the league when it comes to our runs being off of  homeruns. We are a slugging team ten times more than we are a small ball team... no matter what ozzie... kenny... brooks... or anyone else wants the fans to think.

That's my point you whore. :) We had one guy who was the type of player ozzie wants, add another to the top of the order and the offense can score in more then one way.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
That's my point you whore. :)  We had one guy who was the type of player ozzie wants, add another to the top of the order and the offense can score in more then one way.

Wow. If we keep going, we could have Podsednikses 1-9, and then we'd be unstoppable! And unpronounceable.

Iguchi was great in the 2-spot. Pierre would almost certainly be a step down from that.

Oh, please, Cubbies, trade for him already...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Wow.  If we keep going, we could have Podsednikses 1-9, and then we'd be unstoppable!  And unpronounceable.

Iguchi was great in the 2-spot.  Pierre would almost certainly be a step down from that.

Oh, please, Cubbies, trade for him already...

*sigh* nevermind, my whole point was missed. Carry on....

Let's try this out for kicks ...

Suppose Konerko leaves. I don't want him to, but suppose he does.

Then what?

Well ... the obvious thing is they need another bat or two, and they also need some depth, and someone who can log a lot of time at 1B.

Let's further suppose there is validity to these Myers rumors and to go one step further, to these Bill Mueller rumors.

They sign both of these guys. Marte is then trade bait.

You move Marte and something else for a #2 hitter and something else back. For sake of discussion let's say that's Juan Pierre and a guy who can play 1B and maybe some other positions but has been blocked. And hit for power. Florida has such a guy in Joe Dillon. Marte and a good prospect for Pierre and a guy like Dillon seems a pretty fair exchange.

Your offseason is done.

You have 3 proven guys in the OF, great speed and lots of stolen base ability.

You have great depth in the IF with Crede, Uribe, Iguchi, Mueller, Thome, and pick-your-backup 1B.

You have depth at DH with Thome and Mueller.

That's 9 players. Add Pierzynski, Widger, Ozuna, and a backup OF, that's 13.

That, by the way, leaves you room to have a spot for Frank Thomas if he's healthy, or another bench player who can play multiple positions.

Add in your 11 pitchers = 25 players.

And what have you done in your offseason?

Well, you didn't achieve your #1 priority, which is signing Konerko.

But - you added a huge bat (Thome), got 3B insurance and depth in Mueller, added speed at the top and more stolen base ability (Pierre), kept your pitching staff largely intact, and arguably kept a spot open for your fan favorite player (Frank Thomas) if he's healthy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
*sigh* nevermind, my whole point was missed.  Carry on....

Your point is that we are a slugging team, but that's something we should change, right? Okay. Disagree. We still play in a great park for hrs, and I think a hitter like Iguchi is much more valuable on any team, in any park. Pierre and Pods are both streaky, even in terms of just getting on base -- not good for the top of the order. And anyone who says speed doesn't slump didn't see Pods in the last couple months of the season. There are much better options.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
Your point is that we are a slugging team, but that's something we should change, right?  Okay.  Disagree.  We still play in a great park for hrs, and I think a hitter like Iguchi is much more valuable on any team, in any park.  Pierre and Pods are both streaky, even in terms of just getting on base -- not good for the top of the order.  And anyone who says speed doesn't slump didn't see Pods in the last couple months of the season.  There are much better options.

But podsednik had an injury that hampered his running abilities. :rolly

How about stop f***ing running and wasting outs for your team... common sense i suppose.

Speed slumps and that's why you add more speed if possible.

Guillen said he wants to move Iguchi down to take advantage of his power.

Hahn says they want a #2 hitter.

It seems pretty cut and dried what they want to do. Whether it happens is another story. Whether it's the right thing to do is also another story. But if we're speculating it seems to make sense to try and follow their train of thought.

pierre is a downgrade of iguchi

I dont see why people want him so badly, especially in the 2-spot.

Yeah moving iguchi down to 5/6th spot would allow him to hit, but do we really need that? look what happened this year, iguchi did an Amazing job in the 2-role, and that is a HUGE reason we were where we where. If iguchi homers more often, and doesnt do his job, in the 2 role, then where do we go?

We won alot of games, becuase we led alot of them early, and often.

the 36-game or so, record we had going explains it.

Yeah moving iguchi down to 5/6th spot would allow him to hit, but do we really need that? look what happened this year, iguchi did an Amazing job in the 2-role, and that is a HUGE reason we were where we where. If iguchi homers more often, and doesnt do his job, in the 2 role, then where do we go?

I am preferring to live in what's been defined as reality. That reality is Guillen saying he wants to move Iguchi down in the order, and Rick Hahn saying they want to acquire a #2 hitter.

So to me, it's pointless to talk about Iguchi being best suited to the #2 hole. It appears they've made up their mind, they've come out and said it. Therefore, I'm speculating accordingly.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)

Once again, a lot of this is being speculated because the Sox want to move Iguchi down, they want to be able to make use of his power some more. Pierre is a great bunter and a better contact hitter then Tad so those early manufactured runs would still be able to happen quite a bit.

If Juan Pierre played to his career line next year -- .305/.355/.375 -- even with Rowand's "bad" season, I'd argue that we'd be worse off in CF next year.

Why? Mainly, defense. Pierre is nowhere near the defender that Rowand is, but he also doesn't slug as much as Rowand does, either. Pierre's 73% stealing percentage, which I doubt would get a whole lot better moving to a team that has potential cold months in April and September/October, really doesn't help the team a whole lot either. His value as a basestealer is minimal, actually.

So, we're giving up Damaso Marte and Ryan Sweeney for one year of Juan Pierre? Afterall, whoever plays there is pretty much keeping it warm for Chris Young (or, Brian Anderson).

:banghead

Maybe next year we can have a team of Scott Podsedniks. Oh, and Paul Konerko, signed for a hundred billion dollars for ten years.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
We have been one of the top teams in the league when it comes to our runs being off of  homeruns. We are a slugging team ten times more than we are a small ball team... no matter what ozzie... kenny... brooks... or anyone else wants the fans to think.

We need another high ops guy, not a guy with a .700 ops than will steal bases at a 58% clip.

I thought that's what getting Thome accomplished :huh

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
No chance whatsoever.  The White Sox are even higher on Sweeney than I am.

If a deal was made for Pierre, I could see Owens moved before the other OFer's. Esp as his defense is less than both Young's and Anderson's. Sweeney's sweet swing should be sticking around

So, we're giving up Damaso Marte and Ryan Sweeney for one year of Juan Pierre?  Afterall, whoever plays there is pretty much keeping it warm for Chris Young.

Who said this?

There is no way they're going to trade Marte and Sweeney for one year of Juan Pierre. No chance whatsoever.

Marte straight up I can see. Marte plus a prospect of some sort for Pierre and something else. There are all kinds of ways to structure it.

It all comes down to Ozzie Guillen wanting a new #2 hitter. He wants to move Iguchi down. Brian Anderson is not a #2 hitter. Owens? Maybe.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
Pierre was spectacular before that?  He got on base okay for a couple years, but nothing eye-popping, he's almost always had next to nothing in terms of pop, and his defense has long been considered just adequate.  He steals bases -- I guess.  Even there, at his best he's around 75%, so it's not that big of a help.

We powered our way through the playoffs.  Who still thinks that sb are more important than obp AND slg AND hr?

Pierre's a career .305 hitter. He can get on base vs. tough righties. The sox don't have a lot of .300 hitters

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Not everyone is thinking this would be a good move because of emotions.  Maybe some people realize that if you can get a decent and cheap replacement for Marte in Myers and package Marte in a trade for a #2 hitter, it would be worth it.

Myers will not come cheap. Have you not followed the market for relievers? It wouldn't suprise me to see Mike Remlinger given a closer's job for 7 mil a year.