Sox interested in Mike Myers; Marte being shopped

SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Who said this?

There is no way they're going to trade Marte and Sweeney for one year of Juan Pierre.  No chance whatsoever.

Marte straight up I can see.  Marte plus a prospect of some sort for Pierre and something else.  There are all kinds of ways to structure it.

It all comes down to Ozzie Guillen wanting a new #2 hitter.  He wants to move Iguchi down.  Brian Anderson is not a #2 hitter.  Owens?  Maybe.

Woa, woa, woa...

Jim, are you telling me Ozzie has said he wants a new #2 hitter? :lol:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Who said this?

There is no way they're going to trade Marte and Sweeney for one year of Juan Pierre.  No chance whatsoever.

It all comes down to Ozzie Guillen wanting a new #2 hitter.  He wants to move Iguchi down.  Brian Anderson is not a #2 hitter.  Owens?  Maybe.

Jim, I saw earlier in the thread a suggestion of Marte + Sweeney for Pierre.

Nomahhhhh!

But I know you're also (somewhat) on board with that idea, so we're on the same page there.

But he can't hit homers, he sucks

No.

But, what correlates better to scoring runs? Batting average, or SLG%? It's SLG% -- and OBP, for that matter (not sure which correlates better, but I'm confident in saying SLG% and OBP correlate better to scoring runs than BA does). Pierre's OBP is very batting average heavy. So -- if he has a year in which he doesn't hit for a BA above .300 -- he ends up with a line like last year -- .276/.326/.354.

Oh -- but I forgot about all the havoc he'll cause on the basepaths...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)

Nomahhhhh!

But I know you're also (somewhat) on board with that idea, so we're on the same page there.

No.

But, what correlates better to scoring runs?  Batting average, or SLG%?  It's SLG% -- and OBP, for that matter (not sure which correlates better, but I'm confident in saying SLG% and OBP correlate better to scoring runs than BA does).  Pierre's OBP is very batting average heavy.  So -- if he has a year in which he doesn't hit for a BA above .300 -- he ends up with a line like last year -- .276/.326/.354. 

Nomar isn't a #2 hitter in the mold of what Ozzie wants. Nomar would be a duplicate of Iguchi in that you're somewhat restricting him by putting him in the 2 hole. I like Nomar alot though.

Garciaparra could fit too.

The whole point is, if Konerko bolts, they will fill in with other very good pieces to compensate. They won a World Series, they want to win another, and there are opportunities on the marketplace if they get creative. There are always opportunities and these guys are always thinking ahead.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
Garciaparra could fit too.

The whole point is, if Konerko bolts, they will fill in with other very good pieces to compensate.  They won a World Series, they want to win another, and there are opportunities on the marketplace if they get creative.  There are always opportunities and these guys are always thinking ahead.

I really hope the whole PK situation sorts itself out before Monday. That way if he bolts Kenny has the whole winter meetings to find us a replacement.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
And thats all there is to it. I don't care if you want to call me a blind fan, or a homer fan, or whatever. After last off-season, and the work Kenny, Rick, Jerry, EVERYONE did to acquire the right pieces to win the World Series, WHATEVER moves the organization makes, I will support, because I have put my trust into them. They are going to do everything they think is right to make this team a Champion again. Everything.

This is 100 percent how I feel. I will not complain about 1 thing the sox do this offseason, Kenny and the organization have earned that right for atleast this offseason.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
..and Damaso has a neck injury that hampered his pitching abilities. :rolly

That is a difference. Podsednik did have an injury and he was saying how it was affecting his running. Marte on the other hand seems to be on the shy side and i wouldn't be suprised if he never really mentioned that it is still bothering him. It has been alluded to before...

I have just speculated that could have been marte's problem, but podsednik's injury was a fact and should have stopped running.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)

Nomahhhhh!

No.

But, what correlates better to scoring runs?  Batting average, or SLG%?  It's SLG% -- and OBP, for that matter (not sure which correlates better, but I'm confident in saying SLG% and OBP correlate better to scoring runs than BA does).  Pierre's OBP is very batting average heavy.  So -- if he has a year in which he doesn't hit for a BA above .300 -- he ends up with a line like last year -- .276/.326/.354. 

Oh but I forgot, this is the formula the Sox used to win thn the World Series when the high SLG lineup of Mags, Thomas, Lee, Valentin etc. couldn't.

Stats can show the run production and predict wins but the style we used last year always does better than the predictions. The Twins beat us when the run production predictions said we should have beat them and we beat EVERYBODY last year when the run production stats said we shouldn't have made the playoffs.

Stats are fun for discussion but pitching and defense are the main components of winning. (sorry, end of rant)

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
Oh but I forgot, this is the formula the Sox used to win thn the World Series when the high SLG lineup of Mags, Thomas, Lee, Valentin etc. couldn't.

Stats can show the run production and predict wins but the style we used last year always does better than the predictions. The Twins beat us when the run production predictions said we should have beat them and we beat EVERYBODY last year when the run production stats said we shouldn't have made the playoffs.

Stats are fun for discussion but pitching and defense are the main components of winning. (sorry, end of rant)

OK, Pierre doesn't pitch, and plays mediocre at best defense.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
That is a difference. Podsednik did have an injury and he was saying how it was affecting his running. Marte on the other hand seems to be on the shy side and i wouldn't be suprised if he never really mentioned that it is still bothering him. It has been alluded to before...

I have just speculated that could have been marte's problem, but podsednik's injury was a fact and should have stopped running.

That's why he got his power burst in the playoffs. Why run when you can jog?

Im sick when people say we didnt win with Clee, Maggz, Thomas......thats because our pitching sucked back than... our closer was Koch blowing everything and we never had a 5th starter and Garland was mediocre at best.

You throw in the pitching staff for the 2004, 2003, 2002 teams they make the playoffs and possibly win the WS too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Im sick when people say we didnt win with Clee, Maggz, Thomas......thats because our pitching sucked back than... our closer was Koch blowing everything and we never had a 5th starter and Garland was mediocre at best.

You throw in the pitching staff for the 2004, 2003, 2002 teams they make the playoffs and possibly win the WS too.

2003 we had the pitching staff to win it all even with the 5th starter void. The offense minus Carl Everett choked it up big time.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:30 AM)
2003 we had the pitching staff to win it all even with the 5th starter void.  The offense minus Carl Everett choked it up big time.

Not really that was Buehrle's 1 bad season, Garland wasnt really all that good 4.51 era, Colon was decent for a #2 but with the season he had it would prob put him as the 4th or 5th starter on last season's team....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Not really that was Buehrle's 1 bad season, Garland wasnt really all that good 4.51 era, Colon was decent for a #2 but with the season he had it would prob put him as the 4th or 5th starter on last season's team....

Buehrle, Garland, and Colon were all very good down the stretch that year and the offense just went to sleep in september. Also, the only reason that team didn't run away with that division is because the offense couldnt hit worth a nickle the first two months of the season.

Where in the hell did that come from??

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:59 AM)

It's true, too.

In 2003, the pitching staff was nowhere near as good as the '05 staff. Buehrle had (arguably) his worst season, Loaiza was awesome, and Colon was like '05 Freddy Garcia. Garland was average, and any other starter we threw out that year sucked.

The bullpen was decent, but concentrated in two (okay -- three) arms -- Wunsch, Gordon, and Marte. Wunsch is a LOOGY, so he didn't have a huge impact. Marte and Gordon were good, but I'd take the depth of the '05 bullpen over the dominance of two pitchers of the '03 pen anyday.

I think I'll always look back on 2003 and shake my head. If only we had gotten into the playoffs...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I bet he gets 2/$5M with a 3rd year option, small buyout

The marketability alone is worth 5 million

I've got to be the first person to realize Mike Myers shares the same name as horror icon Michael Myers, right? Or how both are similiar because they are murder on lefties?

Seriously though, if Williams is considering Myers he needs to trade Marte immediately--and just as quickly pick up Mike. Teams aren't exactly wading out recent market trends. He'll be gone by next week if we're left waiting for Konerko to decide his destination.