ARod or Jeter in Center Field

IlliniKrush

So i'm watching the show "1st and 10" and they reported a rumor that Torre is considering putting Jeter or ARod in center field to fill that void. They didn't make this up, but i can't remember where they said they heard this from. Probably some NY paper or something. Anyway, this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
So i'm watching the show "1st and 10" and they reported a rumor that Torre is considering putting Jeter or ARod in center field to fill that void. They didn't make this up, but i can't remember where they said they heard this from. Probably some NY paper or something. Anyway, this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.

It was reported on ESPN radio this morning as well. Ridiculous? Not really. Ever hear of Robin Yount?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5119376

Cashman denies Jeter, A-Rod rumors

Story Tools: Print Email XML

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 hour ago

The Yankees are not considering moving shortstop Derek Jeter or third baseman Alex Rodriguez to center field, general manager Brian Cashman told FOXSports.com Tuesday.

Yankees manager Joe Torre indicated that the team was considering the idea in a story by Reuters on Monday, saying, "We've thought about it. We just haven't made a commitment to that. We haven't broached it with the shortstops."

Yankees GM Brian Cashman the idea of moving Alex Rodriguez (foreground) or Derek Jeter to center field, "hasn't been discussed, hasn't been considered, hasn't come up in our organization meetings." (Al Bello / Getty Images)

To which Cashman responded, "Not true at all."

Cashman said the idea of moving Jeter or Rodriguez to center, "hasn't been discussed, hasn't been considered, hasn't come up in our organization meetings."

Cashman said he called Torre seeking clarification Tuesday morning, and Torre told him that his remarks were misinterpreted.

Torre told Cashman that he was merely asked if Jeter and Rodriguez could handle a move to center. His answer was yes in both cases, and he also said that both players would "do anything" to help the team win. But in the same interview, Cashman said, Torre joked that closer Mariano Rivera — an enthusiastic shagger of flyballs during batting practice — probably would be the Yankees' best center fielder.

If Jeter moved to center, it would open up shortstop for Rodriguez.

"That's happened before, hasn't it?" Reuters quoted Torre as saying, referring to the move of a power-hitting infielder to the outfield. "Bobby Murcer, Mickey Mantle. Hank Aaron came up as a second baseman. Robin Yount went to center field. It certainly is a consideration."