Does anyone here own a bar?

Steve Bartman's my idol

do it man, ill move to wherever it is.... and ill work there in exchange for bottles upon bottles of makers mark

ive only met one bar owner and they loved running the place... was a sports pub.... guy loved sports and all day for work he got to watch sports and talk to other people about sports

do it man, ill move to wherever it is.... and ill work there in exchange for bottles upon bottles of makers mark

ive only met one bar owner and they loved running the place... was a sports pub.... guy loved sports and all day for work he got to watch sports and talk to other people about sports

You're hired.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
We considered it.

And un-considered it when we saw all that was involved.

Good to have a s***load of capital up front.. a very well detailed insurance policy... and a lot of free time (that nixed it for us).

Good luck.

All true. Be prepared to work for 18 hours a day for at least 2 years, unless you go in with a friend who you trust with your life. Cleaning the joint to save cash, either after close or in the morning (after 5 hours of sleep), working open to close some days, dealing with every piddling city inspector (each of whom tells you different things), dram shop laws, ugh. I love the restaurant biz, but I don't know if I'd like to be on the ownership end.

And I hope you like Mac and Cheese and Ramen Noodles, because if you're using your own money to finance it, you won't be able to afford much else.

Of course, if you can make it, and, again, find someone who you can trust to run the place, after the first couple of years, you might, just might, be on easy street.

Too much to put in at the start, in Chicago too many hoops to jump through to get licensed, past inspection, etc etc.

There are many headaches involved, and most investments will not survive and you will lose money in the process, especially in chicago.

There is a reason why many of the bars around here are owned by a small sample size of people. Its a difficult business, and unless you have worked in a bar for the last 15 years, it would be difficult for oyu to run it.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
All true.  Be prepared to work for 18 hours a day for at least 2 years, unless you go in with a friend who you trust with your life.  Cleaning the joint to save cash, either after close or in the morning (after 5 hours of sleep), working open to close some days, dealing with every piddling city inspector (each of whom tells you different things), dram shop laws, ugh.  I love the restaurant biz, but I don't know if I'd like to be on the ownership end.

And I hope you like Mac and Cheese and Ramen Noodles, because if you're using your own money to finance it, you won't be able to afford much else.

Of course, if you can make it, and, again, find someone who you can trust to run the place, after the first couple of years, you might, just might, be on easy street.

Wow.. you seriously just about said verbatim what 3 different attny's told us when we were this/close to buying one.

The start up is brutal. Seriously, think long and hard about it. It's more then just a career change. And first you really should look into the insurance risks. Even if we had the time some of them just weren't worth it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Wow.. you seriously just about said verbatim what 3 different attny's told us when we were this/close to buying one.

The start up is brutal. Seriously, think long and hard about it. It's more then just a career change. And first you really should look into the insurance risks. Even if we had the time some of them just weren't worth it.

Smart lawyers.

One of my favorite corner bars in Chicago is Salukis. I've only been in there once and the past two times I have been there, I couldn't find it. Actually, last summer I finally saw it, but it was too late. Still couldn't tell you where it is, but it is all about Southern Illinois.

Nice comfy place!