White Sox Name Greg Walker Hitting Coach

Molto

SN Report: Sox Name Greg Walker Hitting Coach

By Mario Scalise

May 19, 2003

SoxNet.net

(SN Report #496) - The White Sox on Monday announced the promotion of triple-A hitting coach Greg Walker to the big league club, replacing Gary Ward, who was fired Sunday.

Ward, who was considered part of the blame to the Sox' early struggles offensively, making them 12th in the AL in both runs (173) and batting average (.249), was fired after Sunday's 3-2 loss to the Twins.

Walker, 43, was a former White Sox first baseman who had a career .260 batting average, and drove in 444 RBIs, while hitting 113 homers. Down in Charlotte, he helped the Knights to a league-leading .285 batting average this season.

Ok, I have to add this quote from this morning directly from MLB.com:

CHICAGO -- Gary Ward was relieved of his duties as hitting coach by the White Sox late Sunday night, culminating a frustrating weekend in which the team lost all three games to Minnesota at the Metrodome. The move will not be officially announced by the club until later Monday but was confirmed by White Sox general manager Kenny Williams.

Now, I ask you, what's wrong with this picture? Well, why in the heck is Kenny Williams announcing this??? I thought the dude had resigned behind the scenes and effectively was not involved in operations anymore. What is the deal. Is he back? Did he never really leave? What the heck??

Williams is the general manager. There were rumors of him resigning, but nothing has ever been made official and I don't see it happening myself at least not yet. Now I could see him and Manuel getting fired very quickly, but from what I heard on the radio, people are leery about that happening cause the Sox are too cheap to pay the money.

Guest hotsoxchick1

funny i didnt hear kenny announce it.. i saw jerry manuel annouce it in a press conference on the news today.... and kenny was no where to be found...........

funny i didnt hear kenny announce it.. i saw jerry manuel annouce it in a press conference on the news today.... and kenny was no where to be found...........

The papers and release had either quotes from Kenny, or something that said that he confirmed that Ward was canned.

Anyway, what's the latest on Kenny, Michelle?

This is a good move ... I hope.

Greg Walker had a sweet swing as I recall.

Did we go 0-3 after we hired him or is this a recent move? I was in Vegas last week and though I won money on the Sox (their win over Baltimore in Game Three of the series) won me a five -team parlay and I was psyched!

This is a good move ... I hope.

Greg Walker had a sweet swing as I recall.

Did we go 0-3 after we hired him or is this a recent move? I was in Vegas last week and though I won money on the Sox (their win over Baltimore in Game Three of the series) won me a five -team parlay and I was psyched!

This was the first game (Todays game) with him as the hitting coach. Move happened last night I think. I'm not sure cause I wasn't paying attention, was watching the Padres; I can say one thing, they are way worse then the Sox at least for now.

So do people think that Walker will turn around Harris, Crede, and the other former pupils of his?

I'm not sure if Harris can be cured but I kind of think Harris is going to put it together. He hits the ball hard a lot of the time and I could see improvement with him this previous time up. The tough thing is now he has to come back from a shoulder injury and get things figured out.

I do think Crede is going to be a stud. I figured all along he'd finish up around .260 or so and for a rookie season that isn't a bad thing. Crede will continue to grow and develop and will become one of the best third baseman in the majors.

The big question is whether he can help get Konerko and Magglio turned around. Maggs had some really good at bats yesterday and I also felt that Carlos Lee had some very impressive at bats. Thomas seems to really like the Walker hiring. Jimenez also is a Walker fan and I think the one player that won't be effected by Walker is Jose. I tend to think his swing is hopeless and his numbers will stick around what they are (They aren't horrible but for a 2 hitter I don't like them). Put him in the 6 or 7 or even 8 hole and then thats fine with me.