Report: Yankees sign Farnsworth?

redandwhite

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Farns was actually real good last year.  That is a lot of money though and I dont think NY is the place for him.

He blew the most important game of the season for the Braves in Houston.

I think he gave up like 5 runs. (actually 3 and 2 HRs)

Imagine how bad he will meltdown in the NY spotlight.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
He blew the most important game of the season for the Braves in Houston.

I think he gave up like 5 runs.

Imagine how bad he will meltdown in the NY spotlight.

Hey, some surprising guys can handle NY pretty well... who would have thought that Chacon and Small would have come out in pinstripes and performed like they did last year?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:23 PM)
Hey, some surprising guys can handle NY pretty well... who would have thought that Chacon and Small would have come out in pinstripes and performed like they did last year?

Small was lightning in a bottle or a journeyman who figured it out.

Chacon was always talented, just stuck in Colorado.

Farnsworth, is well, Farnsworth.

I will enjoy watching him meltdown in the NY spotlight.

New York is going to f***ing eat Farnsworth alive.

This is going to be a joy to watch unfold. Look for Farnsworth to get bombed in one of his early outings, get destroyed by the New York media and Yankees fan-base, and in trade rumors before the All-Star break.

Priceless Yankees signing right here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
The last 6 years...Farnsworth has gone:

Bad year

Good year

Bad year

Good year

Bad year

Good year.

ERA's those years:

I think he's pretty well set to put up a higher number next year.

If the braves were able to retain him that streak would have likely ended. But in new york i don't seem him coming close to putting up gordon's numbers ovet he past two years. But i don't think he will be as bad as all of you are thinking/hoping four. I would put him in the 3.75-4.25 era over the course of the year. He is still gonna be overpaid... and not good enough for the set-up role though.

Gotta love the cliff politte signing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
Well, that all depends on how large FA contracts translate to prospects.  That, I don't think we know.

So you suddenly think all the pitching success in atlanta will come to a hault? I surely don't. Bobby cox is not just sitting there acting pretty. I am sure he knows a thing or two about the game.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
So you suddenly think all the pitching success in atlanta will come to a hault? I surely don't. Bobby cox is not just sitting there acting pretty. I am sure he knows a thing or two about the game.

It won't ground to a hault of course...not when they have guys like Hudson and Smoltz.

However, here's the real question...last year, they were able to pick up Jorge Sosa from the D-Rays for practically nothing and turn him into a key starter. They've been doing this for years - Jaret Wright, Neagle, etc...they all improved dramatically in Atlanta, and several of them fell apart shortly after leaving.

Mazzone had a specific system for how he worked his pitchers and how he worked on their mechanics. That system is in Baltimore now.

Atlanta has a lot of pitching problems...their bullpen was atrocious last year, and Hampton is out for the full of this season. They need help with that staff. So now we get to see whether or not Cox can really work miracles with a staff on his own.