Yankees & Phillies

nitetrain8601

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I still say the Yanks are going to set their sites on AROW...

By the end of the off season he will be in pinstripes...

And who's going to be in CF for the Phillies then? Bubba f***in' Crosby?

Rowand will be a Phillie next year, period. No way Philadelphia moves a player they traded Jim Thome and a ton of cash for.

I say to look out for Torii Hunter. Dunno why.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
And who's going to be in CF for the Phillies then?  Bubba f***in' Crosby?

Rowand will be a Phillie next year, period.  No way Philadelphia moves a player they traded Jim Thome and a ton of cash for. 

I say to look out for Torii Hunter.  Dunno why.

and you would be likely correct. Unless they lock themselves into a Pierre or Damon-they will be gunning for Hunter soon enough. Even if they get Abreu, they could let Sheff walk after this year and move ABreu back to right and get HUnter next year

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
and you would be likely correct. Unless they lock themselves into a Pierre or Damon-they will be gunning for Hunter soon enough. Even if they get Abreu, they could let Sheff walk after this year and move ABreu back to right and get HUnter next year

Is Hunter a FA Next year?

I don't know why, but if I'm the Twins, and I've lost to the Yankees in the playoffs several times, and I want to win a world series someday, I'd just be a bit hesitant about making a big trade to help the Yankees improve even if it cleared up cash.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
And who's going to be in CF for the Phillies then?  Bubba f***in' Crosby?

Rowand will be a Phillie next year, period.  No way Philadelphia moves a player they traded Jim Thome and a ton of cash for. 

I say to look out for Torii Hunter.  Dunno why.

Jason Michaels.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Is Hunter a FA Next year?

I don't know why, but if I'm the Twins, and I've lost to the Yankees in the playoffs several times, and I want to win a world series someday, I'd just be a bit hesitant about making a big trade to help the Yankees improve even if it cleared up cash.

Hunter wants out of Minnesota. He already put his house on the market, I dont think he likes the managements commitment to winning vs payroll. The team didnt look so hot without him last year, and now they are losing another piece in Jacque Jones. I could understand why he is frustrated and wants out.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Who Bourn or Golson? Not sure how much they plan on counting on those guys at this point. I thought Hunter is a FA after next year but what the F do I know?

Hunter makes $10.75 mill in '06, and has a $2 mill buyout or $12 mill option for '07.

So you are pretty much right on the money.

And now this on Abreu;

An executive from a National League team told the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes that Bobby Abreu could be on his way to the Orioles.

Erik Bedard has been the rumored name in any Abreu deal involving the Orioles. Philadelphia would want more, but Bedard, who is four years away from free agency, is certainly valuable enough to serve as the centerpiece of a trade. Dec. 3 - 3:26 am et

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:39 AM)
I think coming up with a trade that the Sox could have made for Abreu is pretty much a trick proposition.   I dont think the Phils would be entertaining this offer at all without getting Jim Thome moved first.

The Sox could get Abreu...it would cost Brian Anderson or Chris Young, Jon Garland or Jose Contreras, and a pitching prospect or two. Of course the Phils (with that offer) would be sending cash back.

No I'm not suggesting doing it either, just saying what I think it would cost (ie a lot).

I don't know if the Sox could work the deal without giving the Phils a starting pitcher. The only way I could see that happening is if the Sox took Abreu's entire contract and gave up Bmac and Chris Young and sold the Phils on using the cash from Abreu's contract (which they don't have to pick up any portion of) to sign a FA starter like AJ Burnett.

Once again, not a trade I'd make if I were the Sox, but I think it would be a smart deal for the Phils.

The Sox aren't going to get Abreu, they are done offensively (unless they find a good option for the 2 hole and CF) but if I were the Phils I'd look at a team that was willing to offer some damn good prospects and take on Abreu's contract.

Hell, maybe the Dodgers or Angels become sleepers in this whole situation. Both could take on the contract and offer some damn good (near major league ready prospects), which allows the Phils to nab a starter via FA or elsewhere (I don't know if the Phils will risk doing that since there is no guarantee they will get there player via FA).

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
Why is it that Baltimore can't seem to remember that pitching is a part of the game?  This is the same franchise that had Palmer, McNally, Cuellar, etc.  :headshake

The Orioles are a mess. Abreu is obviously a great player but Erik Bedard is by far their best starting pitcher and they want to get rid of him? Right.

Did they get Benson? The O's are fools. They constantly blow money on a good offense while watching there pitching staff continue to fail. They have some good young pitchers, surround them with 1 or two good veterans and see what the team can do.

I guarantee you they will at least play good baseball and win 50 percent of there games. If everyone clicks with a good offense and a good pitching staff theyd' have a shot (although the Yanks and Sox would have to take a step or two back).