The Bad Music Thread

Soxy

i don't think i'd realized it before but when i saw that ebay commercial i came to the conclusion that i really like the monkees song daydream believer.

i also don't mind kelly clarkson, although i admit when i put the music to the artist i was ashamed.

me: wow, that was a great song.

friend: really? that was kelly clarkson. the no-talent from american idol.

me: really?

friend: yup.

me: ok. i'm really gay.

Hmm, The Darkness really rocks as a RnR band, but thier lead singers voice is just too much sometimes.

I get alot of razz about being a Blink 182 fan, but those guys are hilarious, and so is their music. Especially their live cd, there are 20 tracks at the end of them talking to the audience. Priceless immaturity.

Liz Phair(not live!)

LOL, Gin Blossoms.

Kim Fowley created some really great bad records. Outrageous is a GREAT bad album and includes "Animal Man", "Chinese Water Torture", "Inner Space Discovery", "Up: Up/Caught in the Middle/Down" and my favorite "Barefoot Country Boy". All of Kim's albums are bad but this is the best/worst. The backing musicians included a couple members of Three Dog Night (before they made it big) and Mars Bonfire who penned "Born To Be Wild".

Another album worth checking out was Fowley's earlier Love Is Alive And Well, a flower power relic. One track called "Super Flower" is merely Fowley "interviewing" a group of Sunset Strip teenieboppers. It's hilarious. Best song is "Reincarnation" which shoulda been a garage rock hit.

Yet another Fowley album worth checking out is International Heroes from Fowley's glam rock phase. The cover is a shot of Fowley looking really scary wearing lipstick.

Internatiional Heroes

Lyrics:

(kim fowley/kerry scott)

Bobby and Sue still go to school

Falling asleep and it ain't too cool

Tom and jane stuck in the rain

At every concert when the bus leaves early

We're just wasting time

Wondering what we'll find when it's all over

I think I'll cut my hair off and start brand new again

Why bother being different? we're all the same

Hey friend it's gotta end

I don't care what you wear, it's what you are that makes you a star

International heroes, you got the teenage blues

Change has gotta come soon or else we're gonna lose

The noise I hear year after year ain't done nothin' but become unclear

Hey everybody, what have we got? old clothes and records starting to rot

Don't throw them away

Open yourselves to the sounds of the future

Change has gotta come soon or else we're gonna lose... lose... lose... lose

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
I have all the Weird Al Yankovic CDs and have seen him in concert twice.  :ph34r:

I don't have them all, but I have the Box Set. I've only seen him once. (My wife and I used the "Dollar Dance" money from our wedding to buy the tickets. :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
That's not bad!!!! :chair

Really? He's always seem to have a bit of a cult following and a lot of the people I know have at least heard some of his music but aren't really into it enough to buy a CD.

Also, my wife also got to meet him and get an autograph on one of my cds. :D

I've never understood the "guilty pleasure" thing. If you like something, why should you ever have to feel "guilty" about it? If it's good to you, then that is all that is needed. Stuff like The Monkees is great music. They were HUGE for a reason, because they turned out great Pop tunes. I should have it in my "best songs" list, but "Pleasent Valley Sunday" is pure brilliance, easily one of the greatest songs ever.

Bands like Journey had talent. The songs have aged poorly (almost as poorly as Styx), but there is a ton of talent there, so there is nothing to be ashamed of.

You want "bad music"? I've got a ton. It's truely BAD music. Poorly played, poorly written, just downright BAD. THAT stuff I love. A band called "Luv Junkiez" I have a demo of, easily the worst band I have ever heard!

Scott Stapp, he's one that can go into the truely BAD stuff. The music behind him might be decent, but his vocals are just plain terrible. Too forced. But I have been enjoying what I have heard from that solo CD, just because it makes me laugh pretty damn hard. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I've never understood the "guilty pleasure" thing. If you like something, why should you ever have to feel "guilty" about it? If it's good to you, then that is all that is needed. Stuff like The Monkees is great music. They were HUGE for a reason, because they turned out great Pop tunes. I should have it in my "best songs" list, but "Pleasent Valley Sunday" is pure brilliance, easily one of the greatest songs ever.

Bands like Journey had talent. The songs have aged poorly (almost as poorly as Styx), but there is a ton of talent there, so there is nothing to be ashamed of.

You want "bad music"? I've got a ton. It's truely BAD music. Poorly played, poorly written, just downright BAD. THAT stuff I love. A band called "Luv Junkiez" I have a demo of, easily the worst band I have ever heard!

Scott Stapp, he's one that can go into the truely BAD stuff. The music behind him might be decent, but his vocals are just plain terrible. Too forced. But I have been enjoying what I have heard from that solo CD, just because it makes me laugh pretty damn hard.  :D

even god hates scott stapp.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)

Scott Stapp, he's one that can go into the truely BAD stuff. The music behind him might be decent, but his vocals are just plain terrible. Too forced. But I have been enjoying what I have heard from that solo CD, just because it makes me laugh pretty damn hard.  :D

Kid, please tell me that you're familiar with The Godz ("Contact High" on ESP lable)? If not, you have to check out this album. There have been a couple of other bands called The Godz but these guys were the first. I'm quite sure none of them really knew how to play an instrument. This album is a classic.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Really? He's always seem to have a bit of a cult following and a lot of the people I know have at least heard some of his music but aren't really into it enough to buy a CD.

Also, my wife also got to meet him and get an autograph on one of my cds.  :D

I guess I should give the disclaimer that I had a radio show with a very good friend that was called the Weird Al Wanna-Be's. We played plenty of Al, Beatles, and anything else we deemed worthy.

I would say my big guilty pleasure (and, this is a weird category, but bear with me) I love drag queen music--like the music you see at drag shows:

Cher, Britney, Pat Benatar, Carly Simon all that fast shake your booty music. It's just so peppy it really makes me work a lot faster.

QUOTE(juddling @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
My friends in college used to kid me about this all the time but i was and still am a big Huey Lewis and the News fan and Rick Springfield fan.  I've got all the albums and seem both in  concert a few times each.

I've never understood why Huey Lewis and the News often get a bad rap. All they did was churn out some really big hits in the early 80's when for my taste there was a lot of bad music.

Just for the record, Huey Lewis was born on the same day (July 5, 1950) as myself. Yeah, I know...... :chair

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Kid, please tell me that you're familiar with The Godz ("Contact High" on ESP lable)? If not, you have to check out this album. There have been a couple of other bands called The Godz but these guys were the first. I'm quite sure none of them really knew how to play an instrument. This album is a classic.

I know the name, and which band you are talking about, but I have never heard that album! I will be tracking it down for sure now! Thanks for the tip!!!

Worst album of all time:

KISS - The Elder!!! Even they write it off to lots of drugs, and so does producer Bob Ezrin. It is so bad, it's the best!

cool link:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
:o  :o  :o  :o Wow BigEd!!!

http://www.espdisk.com/esp1037.html

Pretty bad from what I can hear!!! Even the reviews on Amazon complain about people saying these guys couldn't play! Thank you for this one! :D

Hey, thanks for the link. It was cool to hear again. I sold that record on eBay several years ago to a guy who worked for a company that was planning to reissue the album on cd. He wanted a nice copy for duplicating the original record jacket. Though it hurts now that I sold most of my records it's kinda cool to know that they're all over the world being enjoyed by people who really love 'em as much as I did or in that particular case was certainly put to good use. I sold a copy of Bubble Puppy's "Hot Smoke and Sasafrass (cool link: http://www.paperrad.org/animations/bubble.html ) to a guy from Bubble Puppy's daughter.

Anyway, just remembered possibly the worst record of all-time: "Paralyzed" by The Legendary Stardust Cowboy (a must-own!).

Edited by BigEdWalsh