Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
until ramirez is traded, i'd go with ramirez and ortiz.  not that it matters.

And given that the Angels still need a bat, I'd say "Until" is actually the correct word now. They'll find a way to get that done.

And then Thome/Konerko will have to compete with Vlad the Impaler/Manny.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
It's pretty close.  It depends on where Ramirez ends up.  If he stays in Boston,  then you have to go with him and Ortiz.  If he goes to the Angels,  i'd probably go with he and Vlad,  barely.

Don't forget that we spent last year watching PK crush the ball withotu good protection in the order and with a nasty slump in May.

You put Thome behind PK and PK may challenge for the MVP next year. Ditto if you reverse the names.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Interesting quote out of the TSN version of the story...

I wonder who the 6 teams are?

Cubs, Red Sox, Twins, Indians, Yankees, Royals

Funny one - ESPN already has an updated Poll out here:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation...g?event_id=1893

One of the questions:

2) Can the White Sox repeat as World Series champs with their current roster?

71.4% Yes

28.6% No

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
You were joking on the teams, right?

D-Backs would be there, and the Angels, definitely.  Maybe the Cubs.

Yeah, I just made up the list really quick. Why would he have a no trade clause for the Angels when he just went there for a possibe contract. I was just thinking of teams that he would refuse to go to.

BTW,

When is the banner going to be cupdated to add Kong back on there with the Thomenator?

Edited by WinninUgly

i just woke up now and i turned on the TV to espn and the bottom line said:

"signs 5 year deal."

I WAS HORRIFIED

i was sure that the angles signed him.

scared the crap out of me but when my google news site pulled up and it said Chicago White Sox sign...

I WAS STOKED!

YES!

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Yeah, I just made up the list really quick.  Why would he have a no trade clause for the Angels when he just went there for a possibe contract.  I was just thinking of teams that he would refuse to go to.

I think the no-trade clause specifies the 6 teams the Sox CAN trade him to without approval.

Now I understand your list. :D

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I think the no-trade clause specifies the 6 teams the Sox CAN trade him to without approval.

Now I understand your list.  :D

Oh wait, I was the one who misread it. He has just six teams he WON'T go to - you were right.

Huh. Seems like the list would be the reverse, having only certain teams he would want to go to.

Just came home from school and seeing this news made me jump up and down.

For me, Paulie coming back to the White Sox is bigger than the Thome trade. Konerko made the right decision of sticking here with us. Hopefully he can end his career here.

Thanks #14! :cheers

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Oh wait, I was the one who misread it.  He has just six teams he WON'T go to - you were right.

Huh.  Seems like the list would be the reverse, having only certain teams he would want to go to.

I was thinking it was 6 teams he doesn't want to go to without his approval. I figured he wouldn't go to the Sawks or the Yanks, since they are East coast and the media is pretty ridiculous, then the Twins and Indians because of the rivalry thing, and the Royals because they are just flat our horrible. Then the Cubs because it would be an odd move from a fan standpoint. Now he probably just went with 6 East coast teams, but those were mine.

This is great news. I don't think they need to make any more major moves -- this team is good enough to repeat. We don't need Juan Pierre. His offense isn't enough to overcome his defensive flaws, especially considering how much more money he'd cost over Brian Anderson.

Re: the batting order -- I think Thome should definitely hit 3rd, with Paulie remaining in the cleanup spot. Thome is an on-base machine (career .408 OBP), thus his productivity would maximized higher in the order.

And don't worry about Thome's lack of speed -- he's scored over 100 runs seven times in his career. Remember that Konerko -- despite being the slowest guy on the team -- led the Sox in runs scored (98) in 2005, largely because he led the team in OBP (.375). Speed is useless if you can't get on base consistently.

Here's my lineup:

1. Podsednik LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Pierzynski C

7. Crede 3B

8. Anderson CF

9. Uribe SS

Can't wait for the 2006 season!

They aren't done yet. Ozzie still wants his new #2 hitter.

1. Podsednik LF

2. ???????

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Iguchi 2B

7. Pierzynski C

8. Crede 3B

9. Uribe SS

Some might say the deal is too much .. too many years but I believe the CWS did the right thing. $60M/5yr in exchange for a limited no-trade. CWS can trade Kong to 1 of 6 teams in any year of the contract. If fortunes go south the franchise can quickly get out of the contract as there will be no loss of suitors for Kong.

The two offers from the Angel's (60/5) & O's (65/5 + 6th yr option) both contained full no-trade clauses.

Ozzie wants another SB threat to fill that #2 hole. That's their focus now. I think we can expect KW to deliver.

QUOTE(LoFiStew @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
This is great news. I don't think they need to make any more major moves -- this team is good enough to repeat. We don't need Juan Pierre. His offense isn't enough to overcome his defensive flaws, especially considering how much more money he'd cost over Brian Anderson.

Re: the batting order -- I think Thome should definitely hit 3rd, with Paulie remaining in the cleanup spot. Thome is an on-base machine (career .408 OBP), thus his productivity would maximized higher in the order.

And don't worry about Thome's lack of speed -- he's scored over 100 runs seven times in his career. Remember that Konerko -- despite being the slowest guy on the team -- led the Sox in runs scored (98) in 2005, largely because he led the team in OBP (.375). Speed is useless if you can't get on base consistently.

Here's my lineup:

1. Podsednik LF

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Pierzynski C

7. Crede 3B

8. Anderson CF

9. Uribe SS

Can't wait for the 2006 season!

It's either gonna be Dye-Thome-Konerko or Konerko-Thome-Dye. Going R-L-R with your biggest boppers makes the most sense to give the opposing manager matchup problems.

They aren't done yet.  Ozzie still wants his new #2 hitter.

1. Podsednik LF

2. ???????

3. Thome DH

4. Konerko 1B

5. Dye RF

6. Iguchi 2B

7. Pierzynski C

8. Crede 3B

9. Uribe SS

Some might say the deal is too much .. too many years but I believe the CWS did the right thing.  $60M/5yr in exchange for a limited no-trade.  CWS can trade Kong to 1 of 6 teams in any year of the contract.  If fortunes go south the franchise can quickly get out of the contract as there will be no loss of suitors for Kong.

The two offers from the Angel's (60/5) & O's (65/5 + 6th yr option) both contained full no-trade clauses. 

Ozzie wants another SB threat to fill that #2 hole.  That's their focus now.  I think we can expect KW to deliver.

I think I'd bat Dye in the #3 spot , Thome 4th, Konerko 5...(R-L-R)

This further solidifies it's Ozzie's team. Consider the chronology of events:

Before the paper had been picked up off the streets in the S Loop Ozzie announces he wants a new #2 hitter.

Now he certainly is advocating a trade of his team MVP Iguchi so that clearly was a signal he wants Iguchi moving to #6 in the lineup. Well AJP, Uribe, & Crede aren't going any where so that was a clear indication Rowand's the odd man out in the lineup.

So the trade for Thome free's up #6 for Iguchi & replaces the Everett+Thomas combo in the middle (3-5). Ozzie wanted Kong all along & when you consider that the Mets decision to sign Pedro last yr amounted to a jump of $20M in revenue (see the Yahoo front page article) keeping Kong was a no-brainer. The decision not only keeps you strong but sells the team & the gate.

So now the White Sox have a hole at #2.

With the talent the White Sox have to deal with .. anything is possible to fill that hole. SB talent is the hardest thing to predict in the ML's because of the difference in talent level. Smarter more experienced pitchers & strong arm catchers make a world of difference. So this is talent you are more apt to trade for then develop yourself.

Basically look over the top SB leaders in 2005 & start mashing trade scenarios.