Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
And given that the Angels still need a bat, I'd say "Until" is actually the correct word now.  They'll find a way to get that done.

And then Thome/Konerko will have to compete with Vlad the Impaler/Manny.

eh... konerko is an average hitter at best outside of us cellular field.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some nice quotes from Paulie's Conference call:

Speaking in terms of the Jim Thome trade:

"This is the greatest move the White Sox can make to bring me back"

"Jim Thome is..  you know.. I don't have many heroes, he is one of them

as far as guys I look up to and have looked up to since I been in the big leagues"

He is.... if you are a 1B if you came into the league in the last 10 years, Jim Thome is who you want to be like, so that is the best thing in my mind that the Sox did as a recruiting tool.

I just had a vision .. a dream really. Is our new CFer going to be Ichiro?

Think about. The White Sox have never been at a stronger position to trade then now. Ichiro has already expressed misgivings about Seattle. He is not bigger than the Seattle M's. Figuratively speaking the park is bigger than Ichiro.

I'm just throwing that out there because I really think the sky is the limit right now for filling that hole. The gate revenue has picked up, the luxury boxes are sold out, the new Comcast deal is expected to deliver their best broadcast revenue to date, & inventory can't keep up with demand on merchandise. All of it speaks volumes of a mid-revenue team in big-revenue market about to make that leap forward.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
I think I'd bat Dye in the #3 spot , Thome 4th, Konerko 5...(R-L-R)

I want Konerko's OBP before Thome comes up, and I want 1 of them coming up in the first inning, such that even if there's 2 outs, we can still pull off the "Walk, boom, 2 run lead".

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
eh... konerko is an average hitter at best outside of us cellular field.

Last year he still put up 17 home runs and an .863 OPS outside of the Cell (and that's not counting the fact that he hit 3 postseason home runs on the road), so he's a better hitter at the Cell, but last year he was still pretty darn deadly on the road. 52 RBI at Home, 48 away for PK too.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
I just had a vision .. a dream really.  Is our new CFer going to be Ichiro?

While I want BA in CF next year myself for the defense and occasional power, I'd sacrifice that for Ichiro. That said, I can't see that happening for several reasons; 1. Seattle doesn't want to trade Ichiro - they make a ton just from having him on their team from the Japanese fans (same Reason Matsui is making PK Money in NY). Secondly, Ichiro has never been willing to switch to CF in Seattle, which is why he's still playing RF despite the fact he'd be their best defensive center fielder.

Safeco's CF is huge! Much more ground to cover than the Cell. I don't think that would be a factor. Seattle will make more money with a competitve team than it will with Ichiro on a loser.

The White Sox can give them a package with El Duque, & young talent that can help fill out their rotation & OFers that are ready to start. I'm not saying it will happen but the cards KW has to deal with & the expected revenue of the team make it well within the realm of capability.

I'm still guessing it will be Pierre filling that hole primarily because he & Ozzie were close on that championship 2003 Marlin's team.

I think it would be best to ignore Pierre's 2005 Marlins numbers. One thing we've learned since the Cell became one of the best hitter's parks in the majors is that nearly everybody that comes here hits better. There were a lot of ??? about Pods coming off a lack luster 2004 & he experienced borderline all-star caliber numbers.

So it's best for established guys to look at their career numbers when they come to the White Sox.

Juan Pierre: (v L: 808AB, 307A, 352O, 347S; v R:2603, 304A, 355O, 384S)

You have to believe Ozzie had him in mind when he made that annoucement. He said he wants to both take the pressure off Pods (another SB threat) & give Iguchi more opportunities to hit (#6).

With the Marlins in firesale mode this seems like a sure bet.

For sake of argument let's imagine #1 Pods, #2 Pierre.

The best #3 is the guy who has the best RON #'s:

Kong (.279A, .352O, .475S, .827 OPS)

Thom(.278A, .412O, .537S, .950 OPS)

JDye (.270A, .339O, .446S, .785 OPS)

Again look at career #'s when it comes to the Cell.

If Thome has a strong ST he should be the #3.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I just had a vision .. a dream really.  Is our new CFer going to be Ichiro?

Think about.  The White Sox have never been at a stronger position to trade then now.  Ichiro has already expressed misgivings about Seattle.  He is not bigger than the Seattle M's.  Figuratively speaking the park is bigger than Ichiro. 

I'm just throwing that out there because I really think the sky is the limit right now for filling that hole.  The gate revenue has picked up, the luxury boxes are sold out,  the new Comcast deal is expected to deliver their best broadcast revenue to date, & inventory can't keep up with demand on merchandise.  All of it speaks volumes of a mid-revenue team in big-revenue market about to make that leap forward.

Isn't Seattles ownership Japanese? No way in hell do they deal Ichiro. But its a good dream.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Well, PK's OBP last year = .375, although that was the best of his career.

and I will admit that it's the one area of the game that Pauly is likely to improve on for the duration of his contract.

strike zone judgement is the one area that older players seem to hold onto longer (often even improving later) than their other skills.

For sake of argument let's imagine #1 Pods, #2 Pierre.

The best #3 is the guy who has the best RON #'s:

Kong (.279A, .352O, .475S, .827 OPS)

Thom(.278A, .412O, .537S, .950  OPS)

JDye (.270A, .339O, .446S, .785 OPS)

Again look at career #'s when it comes to the Cell. 

If Thome has a strong ST he should be the #3.

That's as strong a 3-4-5 as there is. A projected 110 HR's !!!

Add in 20 from Crede, 20 from Iguchi, 18 from AJ, 16 from Uribe = 184 HR's !!!

Pierre won't hit HR's but something needs to be said about his 48T's in 3411AB's.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I think it would be best to ignore Pierre's 2005 Marlins numbers.  One thing we've learned since the Cell became one of the best hitter's parks in the majors is that nearly everybody that comes here hits better.  There were a lot of ??? about Pods coming off a lack luster 2004 & he experienced borderline all-star caliber numbers. 

So it's best for established guys to look at their career numbers when they come to the White Sox.

Juan Pierre: (v L: 808AB, 307A, 352O, 347S;  v R:2603, 304A, 355O, 384S)

You have to believe Ozzie had him in mind when he made that annoucement.  He said he wants to both take the pressure off Pods (another SB threat) & give Iguchi more opportunities to hit (#6).

With the Marlins in firesale mode this seems like a sure bet.

Don't see the Pierre thing happening either. Pods and Pierre sounds good ( love the alliteration) but hate the D and lack of arm strength. Gotta keep the pitchers happy and keep the defensivemindedness intact.

I haven't seen enough of his play to judge his defense. He seemed a major plus in the championship run out there in 2003.

Here's what the ESPN scouts say:

His defense remains a huge plus at spacious Pro Player Stadium. His range allowed the Marlins to get by with Miguel Cabrera and Jeff Conine flanking him for the first four months. Pierre's arm probably precludes him from Gold Glove consideration, but he never gives up on balls in the gap and makes his share of highlight catches. His resemblance to a young Mickey Rivers remains eerie.

No one is a better judge in the White Sox organization right now when it comes to his defense than Ozzie because he's seen him play day to day.

Ozzie has said nothing but good things when it comes to Juan's defense & that goes back to 2003.