Official: Konerko Signs With White Sox

knightni

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
1994: Thomas .353 38HR  101 RBI Franco: .319 20 HR 98 RBI in stirke shortened year

1998: Thomas .265 29 HR 109 RBI Belle .328 49 HR 152 RBI 

2000: Thomas .328 43 HR 143 RBI Ordonez .315 32 HR 126 RBI

If you project those 1994 numbers, those 2 are both close to 150 rbi. Frank would be at about 50 homers, Franco probably 28. So productivity-wise Thomas/Franco is #1.

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

PAULIE!! PAULIE!!!

We beat the Angels once again!! I love it.

This also proves what a class act, Paulie is. Anaheim offers a similar deal and chooses to come back.

This is going to be the best lefty-righty combo in Sox history.

So what does Kenny do now? Get a backup infielder? Boy, he'll have a stressful rest of the offseason

Good, now this team has absolutely NO need to trade for Juan Pierre. The offense is already vastly improved over last season, basically taking out Jurassic and Rowand, two of our worst run producers, and replacing them with Thome and Brian Anderson.

Now anderson has no pressure on him and he can have a splits of 265/350/705 and if he plays good defense he's golden.

If you want to argue about Pierre, please feel free, but I already answered alot I feel on the "Juan Pierre Dossier" thread, I know many here are in agreement that BA should be the CF next year. The Konerko signing only cements that in my mind, because now Thome is def the almost full time DH.

Guch is fine in the number 2 spot, I don't know what all the fuss is. He's not going to magically hit 30 bombs if he moves down to 6 or 7.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
This makes the Thome trade that much better! A righty-lefty-righty power trio of Pauly, Thome and Dye make our offense scary! Last season it wasn't so scary. Does Ozzie still want a speedy #2 guy or do you guys think we will stick with gooch there?

I'm pretty sure Ozzie still wants one. But it's nice to know we can leave Gooch right there if needed. I really don't think Kenny is done yet.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
Good, now this team has absolutely NO need to trade for Juan Pierre.  The offense is already vastly improved over last season, basically taking out Jurassic and Rowand, two of our worst run producers, and replacing them with Thome and Brian Anderson. 

Now anderson has no pressure on him and he can have a splits of 265/350/705 and if he plays good defense he's golden.

If you want to argue about Pierre, please feel free, but I already answered alot I feel on the "Juan Pierre Dossier" thread, I know many here are in agreement that BA should be the CF next year.  The Konerko signing only cements that in my mind, because now Thome is def the almost full time DH. 

Guch is fine in the number 2 spot, I don't know what all the fuss is.  He's not going to magically hit 30 bombs if he moves down to 6 or 7.

30? Probably not. 20 is defintely possible, and he would be able to focus more on driving guys in. He could easily drive in 90 runs if he was moved down in the order.

Thought this would be a nice place to say, early last season, did you ever, in a million years, think you'd be thrilled with the thought of re-signing Konerko in the off-season?

I know there were many--perhaps a majority--(present company included) that were counting down the days to rid ourselves of Konerko's contract and inability to do the little things...you know, the things that ultimately won us a World Series.

What a difference a year makes.

I'm so damn happy to have you back, Paulie.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
Last I read, his back was making it harder and harder to pitch with any regularity.  And with his age, and given the nature of lower back issues, I think it's likely.  It has NOT been confirmed or reported, this is my own opinion, given his condition.

Sorry, if some people have replied but I haven't read the entire thread yet.

The surgery for his back will not require him to miss a year. The typical rehab is 3-6 months. I do not know if he has had surgery. Someone (i think Steff) said he was definitely going to have it. I haven't heard that personally but the rehab isn't long compared to others.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Yea, he could hit 20 homers, but I'm hoping he does that in the 2 hole, and just stops bunting pods and uribe over so damn much, and stops giving away outs.  Especially when the Sox are behind by more than 2 runs.

That's the enitre job of a 2 hitter. To get the leadoff man into scoring position/3rd base.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Sorry, if some people have replied but I haven't read the entire thread yet.

The surgery for his back will not require him to miss a year. The typical rehab is 3-6 months. I do not know if he has had surgery. Someone (i think Steff) said he was definitely going to have it. I haven't heard that personally but the rehab isn't long compared to others.

3-4 months is what I heard. As of Friday 11/18 he had not yet had it. I'll see if I can get an update.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Yea, he could hit 20 homers, but I'm hoping he does that in the 2 hole, and just stops bunting pods and uribe over so damn much, and stops giving away outs.  Especially when the Sox are behind by more than 2 runs.

Umm...those are some of the reasons why we won it all. The ability to execute and score against the tough pitchers. Obviously power was still there and the pitching was awesome, but Ozzie ball helped.