Thank You Frank Thomas.

greasywheels121

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
If Frank is healthy next year it would not surprise me to see him with beter numbers than Konerko or Thome

On the other hand, I think the "If" in that sentence is far, far bigger than the if you would get on what either Konerko or Thome will put up. It would surprise me a lot if Frank was able to play even half a season.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I know someone who has it on authority (I haven't brought up the subject in over a year though) that Kenny can't stand Frank. Not sure if anything changed there

That authority is 100% correct. Kenny tried to trade Frank.. Jerry slapped his hand. From what I know Kenny and Frank have never been "friends".

Jerry and Frank have been extremely close his entire career, and got even closer when Frank's agent was killed - Jerry set him up with Arn - and even closer still when Frank's father passed away.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
That authority is 100% correct. Kenny tried to trade Frank.. Jerry slapped his hand. From what I know Kenny and Frank have never been "friends".

Jerry and Frank have been extremely close his entire career, and got even closer when Frank's agent was killed - Jerry set him up with Arn - and even closer still when Frank's father passed away.

I read they were good friends and that was when Kenny was running the Minors. I think Frank even recomended Kenny for the job.

Well I haven't given up hope yet. Shapiro passed on Thome because he wasn't convinced that he could play a full season. He felt the risk was too great to move Hafner from DH. Cleveland was Thome's first choice.

So there is concern there. I think the White Sox will try to retain Thomas as insurance against a Thome injury. I don't know if this is a role Thomas is willing to play. That would mean Thomas would start the season in AAA & with a successful rehab would become a PH bench player for the White Sox.

Thomas would essentially be trading a chance to get to 500 HR's for the chance of being able to "play" in a World Series (assuming the White Sox get there again). For what he's accomplished to date I think a major hit in a WS game would carry greater weight than 500 HR in terms of solidifying his place in the HOF.

I won't give up hope until he signs with another team.

I'm sure this organization would love to keep Frank if he didn't cost us a roster spot and a chunk of our limited payroll. The man is probably the longest-tenured baseball player in Chicago right now and puts butts in the seats.

My only regret is that Frank could not have been a bigger part of the 2005 championship season. Here's to Frank having a productive last few years of his career and hopefully we'll see him in a Sox hat at Cooperstown sometime next decade.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
If Frank is healthy next year it would not surprise me to see him with beter numbers than Konerko or Thome

frank will never be healthy again. He may be able to tolerate the pain enough to play (at least a little) but he will never be "healthy."

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
I think he has a season of 130 or more games left in him. I really do

I would love to see it. He was one of the greatest hitters the game has ever seen IMHO. However, I think he will fall into the category of "what would he have done if his career wasn't shortened by injuries" when we bring up his name in 20 years.

that injury will be too difficult to come back from, especially consideringhe came back too soon from the first one and it didn't heal well.

Edited by ptatc

Some of you have said this already, but I think our doctors realize he's physically a long shot at best to come back.

That said, now that we've won a World Series I wouldn't mind seeing him sign with the Cubs. The Cubs will never win a Series so they are no threat to our title, and it'd be great to see Frank whack a lot of homers in the small Wrigley.

My guess though is he's done.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Some of you have said this already, but I think our doctors realize he's physically a long shot at best to come back.

That said, now that we've won a World Series I wouldn't mind seeing him sign with the Cubs. The Cubs will never win a Series so they are no threat to our title, and it'd be great to see Frank whack a lot of homers in the small Wrigley.

:bang

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)

Frank wouldn't be hitting a lot of HR'S for the Flubs riding the bench.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
And what I am telling you... is that where Frank is concerned Kenny has nothing to do with it.

Frank deals with Jerry.

IIRC, when Frank signed his one year deal prior to 2003 with 3 mutual options attached, KW was in the Dominican Republic at the time, and that it was a Reinsdorf-Tellum-Thomas negotiation.

I've always banked on that if Frank could play again, JR would bring him back like Steff said. Listening to Hahn and Williams the last few days, I've had it the back of my mind that it's not over until JR says it is. We'll see what happens, but I'm betting that the next time Thomas puts on a big league uniform, it's be a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
Steff, from what i have heard Reinsdorf is a very loyal guy.  He showed it with Konerko by letting Kenny pay big bucks to keep him.  Is he loyal enough to re-sign Frank even if there is a doubt in his mind about his health.  Like maybe an incentive laden deal.

Considering that it'll probably be a few hours before she makes an appearance, from everything I've heard Steff say I'd guess the answer to your question would be yes. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it. Right Steff? ;)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
Steff, from what i have heard Reinsdorf is a very loyal guy.  He showed it with Konerko by letting Kenny pay big bucks to keep him.  Is he loyal enough to re-sign Frank even if there is a doubt in his mind about his health.  Like maybe an incentive laden deal.

Forgive me.. kindof.. but I think I've said exactly that several times already.

And, again, I don't know where you heard Frank and Kenny are "friends".. but aside from professional courtesy, they are not. "Friends" don't try to trade you away when they think their boss isn't looking... "friends" don't talk s*** about you to the media... and "friends" don't disclose personal rifts. Kenny has been nothing but UNPROFESSIONAL where Frank is concerned.. and was called on it a few years ago at Soxfest - :nono - and admitted as much.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
Considering that it'll probably be a few hours before she makes an appearance, from everything I've heard Steff say I'd guess the answer to your question would be yes.  Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it.  Right Steff? ;)

Apparently my posts are written in some foreign language... :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
Forgive me.. kindof.. but I think I've said exactly that several times already.

And, again, I don't know where you heard Frank and Kenny are "friends".. but aside from professional courtesy, they are not. "Friends" don't try to trade you away when they think their boss isn't looking... "friends" don't talk s*** about you to the media... and "friends" don't disclose personal rifts. Kenny has been nothing but UNPROFESSIONAL where Frank is concerned.. and was called on it a few years ago at Soxfest -  :nono  - and admitted as much.

Exactly. Despite perhaps an improved relationship between the two this past season, KW has been waiting for this day for several years. Fortunately for him, the circumstances made what has happened a no-brainer or this could have been real ugly, way uglier than the Ordonez departure if JR allowed it to happen. The White Sox could not possibly depend on Frank ever being healthy again.

I'd love to have him back still but there's no way. Whereever he signs, it's going to have to be an incentive-based deal. It doesn't make much sense to agree to such a deal if you're going in knowing you're a backup. With only a game or two a week available even if he remains healthy, that just wouldn't work.