Thank You Frank Thomas.

greasywheels121

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best Sox player of my lifetime and my favorite.

Good luck, perhaps the next time we see you in a Sox jersey it will be going into the Hall of Fame.

One of the best ever, its a shame he was injured last year and could not really play in the World Series. Of all the Sox players he deserved to be there.

SB

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I doubt Kenny made any real effort to try to call Frank and work something out.  He was probably counting down the days till he could get rid of Frank.  I know this has been said in this thread but it just pisses me off.  I would be interested to see Reinsdorf's reaction to the Frank situation.

Give me a break.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I think it is way too early to be singing the swan song. So no matter how we fans want to spin it Thome is a rehabing player coming off major surgery.  That is not a sure thing.

As for Kong he did not receive a clean bill of health either.  A degenerative hip disorder is a significant risk.  I would say no less significant than Crede's back disorder. 

The general consensus with Thomas is that he came back to soon.  So we can assume I think that he is going to take more time for the bone to heal this time around.  That suggests to me the earliest he would be able to play for any team is after the all-star break. 

Adding a healthy Thomas to the bench for the 2nd half would act like a mid-season trade. 

So having Thomas as insurance for the 2nd half is a smart move for the White Sox to make.  As long as KW doesn't say anything to offend Frank I think it's in the cards.

You are off on a couple of assumptions.

1. Thome had a routine surgery which pitchers return from. A DH will have absolutely no problems returning from this.

2. A degenerative hip is potentially far worse than Crede's back. It will end his career. There is no definite time table but when his career ends it will be due to the hip. That's why the 5 year deal is a stretch.

3. Thomas will not be healthy, I've stated why many times. Do not count on Thomas being healthy. Now, if you want a DH who cannot run to play for a short period of time it may work.

You are off on a couple of assumptions.

1. Thome had a routine surgery which pitchers return from. A DH will have absolutely no problems returning from this.

2. A degenerative hip is potentially far worse than Crede's back. It will end his career. There is no definite time table but when his career ends it will be due to the hip. That's why the 5 year deal is a stretch.

3. Thomas will not be healthy, I've stated why many times. Do not count on Thomas being healthy. Now, if you want a DH who cannot run to play for a short period of time it may work.

1. Still you can't deny Thome has not been in this sit before. There's still a risk.

2. I know that can happen. I think that's what happen to Belle. But before it gets that bad in will definitely reduce his quality of play.

3. You left out PH/DH. It's his role as a PH that intrigues me the most. If you are correct in stating he won't be healthy then why would any other team take the chance? Shouldn't the White Sox offer him a reasonable deal now that will allow him to rehab at Charlotte to drive ticket sales down there? Won't other teams try to do the same? It seems to me for his years of production offering him a $1M base + incentives with the possibility he might be able to play a PH/DH role in the 2nd half is a smart move.

I'm still envisioning Pierre in CF & Ozzie using him at lead-off when he rests Pods.

That's a perfect scenario to use Thomas as a PH late in the game & then replace Pierre with Pods.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
1. Still you can't deny Thome has not been in this sit before.  There's still a risk. 

2. I know that can happen.  I think that's what happen to Belle.  But before it gets that bad in will definitely reduce his quality of play.

3. You left out PH/DH.  It's his role as a PH that intrigues me the most. If you are correct in stating he won't be healthy then why would any other team take the chance?  Shouldn't the White Sox offer him a reasonable deal now that will allow him to rehab at Charlotte to drive ticket sales down there?  Won't other teams try to do the same?  It seems to me for his years of production offering him a $1M base + incentives with the possibility he might be able to play a PH/DH role in the 2nd half is a smart move.

I'm still envisioning Pierre in CF & Ozzie using him at lead-off when he rests Pods.

That's a perfect scenario to use Thomas as a PH late in the game & then replace Pierre with Pods.

I don't think he would come back to PH. I think he'll get a better offer to DH elsewhere. The Sox have no room for an extra DH while many other teams can offer him for time for DH. I would love for him to come back in the role you stated, I just don't think it will happen.

Edited by ptatc

It will really suck if he plays for Minn. and is healthy and we have to face him 80 at bats a season.

Geez that will suck.

Thanks for the memories Frank, including this past season. No question you sparked the club a lot when you were in there!

Kenny & Ozzie are saying all the right things. I feel they talked about a reduced role with his agent but Frank isn't happy with that. Hopefully he has no hard feelings. I'm sure the White Sox let it be known to him & his agent they would love to keep him but can't offer him a starting role.

Frank's never been a bench player & when he knows he can start for a contender there's no way he would accept that role. I hope it's the O's. I would love to read about him beating up on Bos & Ny. I pray it's not the ALC. I can't bear that.

Dear Mr. Hurt,

Thank you for all the wonderful memories and for being one of the best hitters I've ever seen. May you be blessed with health but not beat up on the Sox (too much) when you play against them. Good luck Frank!

WAR 35!