Updated Payroll

BlackBetsy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
All these luxury seats we're selling out certainly doesn't hurt our chances of getting there iether.

I wonder just how many of those seats were bought by brokers or investors looking to capitalize on another World Series or or increased interest in the Sox. My bet is over 50%.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
In 2003 i think we started at $58 mil then added due to the everett and alomar trades.

2003 was more like $51 million. The Everett and Alomar trades didn't add payroll, we got money from their respective teams inexchange for prospects esentially.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
I wonder just how many of those seats were bought by brokers or investors  looking to capitalize on another World Series or or increased interest in the Sox. My bet is over 50%.

Since at season end they were only 1/4 sold for '06.. you'd be a bit off.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I think your are missing Viscaino on there, remember there is not enough room for Marte, Viscaino, and McCarthy in the pen.  THat is unless we decide to have 7 releivers which is not normal.  Thome is to make 12.5 mil this year and the sox got 22 mil to pay for his 3 years of service.  So thats 7.33 mil per year to pay his contract so for 2006 we pay 12.5-7.33 = 5.17 for Thome, in 07 and 08 we pay 6.67 mil per year for him.

There's nothing all "That" abnormal about having a 12 man pitching staff. Teams do it all the time. We did it for parts of the year last year.

That said...we shouldn't do it...since our starters have a nasty habit of eating up a ton of innings (our bullpen received like the 2nd fewest innings in baseball last year).

BMac will be starting next season, also. If anyone goes to the Bullpen, it's El Duque...whether BMac gets the job in ST or gets it when El Duque first goes on the DL is the only question.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
I think your are missing Viscaino on there, remember there is not enough room for Marte, Viscaino, and McCarthy in the pen.  THat is unless we decide to have 7 releivers which is not normal.  Thome is to make 12.5 mil this year and the sox got 22 mil to pay for his 3 years of service.  So thats 7.33 mil per year to pay his contract so for 2006 we pay 12.5-7.33 = 5.17 for Thome, in 07 and 08 we pay 6.67 mil per year for him.

Damn. Good pick up. I will correct. You are right, that means that someone is the odd man out in the bullpen.

Hopefully this thing shows up. I added 2006 to a chart I made last year to show how dramatically the White Sox had changed the structure of the team over the off season. In 2004 the pitchers accounted for only 1/3 of the payroll but in 2005 they got about half of it. That percentage holds true for 2006 with about 51% of money on the mound. So the balance of the team -after the Konerko signing and switching out Thome for Everett and Thomas- remains true to the winning formula of 2005. Pitch well and execute.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Hopefully this thing shows up.  I added 2006 to a chart I made last year to show how dramatically the White Sox had changed the structure of the team over the off season.  In 2004 the pitchers accounted for only 1/3 of the payroll but in 2005 they got about half of it.  That percentage holds true for 2006 with about 51% of money on the mound.  So the balance of the team -after the Konerko signing and switching out Thome for Everett and Thomas- remains true to the winning formula of 2005.  Pitch well and execute.

Interesting graphs, but everything I read had the 2005 payroll at about 75 mil. I am not sure what is missing though...

Interesting graphs, but everything I read had the 2005 payroll at about 75 mil.  I am not sure what is missing though...

It was $75 million.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa....aspx?year=2005

Rick Hahn was on the Score and said that the 2006 payroll could be in the upper $80 millions.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
It was $75 million.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa....aspx?year=2005

Rick Hahn was on the Score and said that the 2006 payroll could be in the upper $80 millions.

That's nothing... I have been saying that for months :P

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...49entry925849

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
The upper $80 millions isn't $90 to $100 million though.  It could just mean $87-$88 million.

The Sox also said they would barely go over their $63 million figure of 04 for the 05 season... The Sox are notorious for not putting all their cards on the table, and you all know this... Plus from what I understand we are already sitting at about $87-88 million if you factor in respectable raises to AJ, Crede, and Jon...But, nice try at nitpicking.

The Sox also said they would barely go over their $63 million figure of 04 for the 05 season... The Sox are notorious for not putting all their cards on the table, and you all know this...  Plus from what I understand we are already sitting at about $87-88 million if you factor in respectable raises to AJ, Crede, and Jon...But, nice try at nitpicking.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to nitpick. I just remember a few weeks ago when some people thought that the 2006 payroll would be $95 million. I don't see that happening. I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Iguchi is clearly missing from the 2005 version...he made a lot more than what is shown at 2nd base.

I didn't update the '05 numbers from when I originally made the chart about this tme a year ago so no Iguchi and some of the other player salarys were different than we estimated at the time. It was based on a thread just like Black Betsy's. I'm sure the same will happen this year, but the story is the relative balance between the pitching and the hitters.

Here's the '05 data

Salary Players

$26.65 Buerhle,Garcia,Garland,Hernandez,Contreras

$3.25 Pierzynski, Davis

$8.75 Kornerko

$0.83 Harris, Valdez

$0.50 Crede

$2.15 Uribe

$4.55 Posdednik,Everett

$2.00 Rowand, Perez

$4.00 Dye

$8.33 Thomas,Gload