Now I'm mad

Listen, I feel the Eagles were in their right to deactivate and suspend Owens who was a horrible guy for the front office and McNabb to have to deal with. That being said, Dre Bly is getting a pass because the media hates Joey Harrington. What he said was terrible. I like Dre as a player a lot but what he said was not something you can defend. The kicker is the reaction. Over 50 percent of espn.commers feel Bly should NOT be suspended or even fined for his comments!!!!Take the words he used. Now I know that TO was suspended for the summation of his insubordination but if you look at the two incidents-what Bly said was truly worse. Since Harringotn is in limbo there-management is going to ignore it. Matt Millen is a joke for letting Bly get away with this and the sports fans in this country are a joke for thinking this is no big deal.

There's a bit of a difference here.

McNabb-Owens) history of tension, McNabb consistently put up great numbers and led the team to NFC championships, team was in great shape at the time.

Harrington-Bly) no history of tension(atleast in the media), Harrington never had lived up to his draft position, Garcia always had put up better numbers than Joey, team has no hope of the playoffs. I seriously doubt Dre was the only Lion to feel the way he felt, he was just the only one to say something.

I will admit, neither one should have opened their mouth. But it was nice to see Dre apologized to the team already. Still a very stupid decision.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Listen, I feel the Eagles were in their right to deactivate and suspend Owens who was a horrible guy for the front office and McNabb to have to deal with. That being said, Dre Bly is getting a pass because the media hates Joey Harrington. What he said was terrible.  I like Dre as a player a lot but what he said was not something you can defend. The kicker is the reaction. Over 50 percent of espn.commers feel Bly should NOT be suspended or even fined for his comments!!!!Take the words he used. Now I know that TO was suspended for the summation of his insubordination but if you look at the two incidents-what Bly said was truly worse. Since Harringotn is in limbo there-management is going to ignore it. Matt Millen is a joke for letting Bly get away with this and the sports fans in this country are a joke for thinking this is no big deal.

Don't think it's a good comparison at all. Bly and Garcia both made comments that certainly probably deserve fines, but the Eagles had a list of things that TO had done, not just talking bad about McNabb.

I know the day SportsCenter had the mediator's decision, there was about 10 things that they knew about....

I did not say that Bly should be suspended for the season or anything. Personally, I'd sit his ass on the bench this Sunday and not pay him and tell him he can come back the next week. I have NEVER read a story questioning Harrington's work ethic or character. He's obviously struggled.

Would Owens have been suspended for his remarks on McNabb if he hadn't made a mess of things with his contract dispute, previous public statements about the team, his behavior in training camp which earned him a week's suspension, or his fight in the locker room with Hugh Douglas?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
I'd need to find out a few more details about Joey Harrington's practice habits before coming to any conclusions.  Maybe "Dre" is speaking on behalf of the team.  Also, what has Bly done in the past to piss anyone off?

hell, he's playing with a club for a hand, and played well vs. the Falcons on Thursday. and I don't recall him having a history of saying anything like this.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Would Owens have been suspended for his remarks on McNabb if he hadn't made a mess of things with his contract dispute, previous public statements about the team, his behavior in training camp which earned him a week's suspension, or his fight in the locker room with Hugh Douglas?

Certainly not. The crime wasn't punished, the criminal was-so to speak. If a guy had done that as his first transgression-say Torry Holt had said it-there would be no suspension. However, another guy probably would have apologized to his teammate. Bly and Owens both apologized to their teams but did NOT apologize to McNabb or Harrington.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Listen, I feel the Eagles were in their right to deactivate and suspend Owens who was a horrible guy for the front office and McNabb to have to deal with. That being said, Dre Bly is getting a pass because the media hates Joey Harrington. What he said was terrible.  I like Dre as a player a lot but what he said was not something you can defend. The kicker is the reaction. Over 50 percent of espn.commers feel Bly should NOT be suspended or even fined for his comments!!!!Take the words he used. Now I know that TO was suspended for the summation of his insubordination but if you look at the two incidents-what Bly said was truly worse. Since Harringotn is in limbo there-management is going to ignore it. Matt Millen is a joke for letting Bly get away with this and the sports fans in this country are a joke for thinking this is no big deal.

I agree. T.O. never actually said McNabb sucks. He just said Favre was better. I don't care if it is your 3rd string QB you don't pull that kind of s***. Also I don't think all of this mess is Harrington's fault. He was actually pretty decent since he returned. The draft class over the past few years (exception of Roy Williams) sucked so far. I am not counting Mike Williams because he needs more time to develop.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I'd need to find out a few more details about Joey Harrington's practice habits before coming to any conclusions.  Maybe "Dre" is speaking on behalf of the team.  Also, what has Bly done in the past to piss anyone off?

Doesn't matter. You don't go rip a guy in public like that. Also Harrington has never had a question of work ethic or anything like that, he just hasn't had a good year.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
besides in college?  no.

Nope he hasn't. His td-int was rpetty good last year but he has not had a good year. That said, he has been a model citizen and a decent teammate and didn't deserve to be ripped apart from Bly-both in the lockerroom four weeks ago and then again int he media this week. It was just as bush league when Owens did it, or when Garland called out Konerko in the lockerroom(just to relate it to the Sox).

Here's a couple of nice quotes about the situation...

"The circumstances were unique. That doesn't excuse what he did. He's a very emotional guy in a game of emotional people. He got carried away because of the circumstances. We've been disappointing as a team, then the firing of Steve. He got carried away, and that's what he said. As far as I'm concerned, it's over."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From MotorCitySports.com,

"Dre Bly should be applauded for articulating the sentiment that all Lions fans, and probably most players, have. Sick of losing, sick of being embarassed, particularly after the horrific display before a national audience on Thanksgiving Day, Bly has called for the organization to make itself accountable. Sure, the players are the ones who actually play the game, who blow the tackles, and who drop the passes. However, Dre Bly, like anyone who has developed a long-term association with the Lions’ organization, has reached his breaking point with the ingrained culture of futility that has defined the Lions for over four decades. Bly is assuming the role of a true team leader and is demanding a change.

One has to wonder what would have happened if Barry Sanders, one of the few truly great players to ever wear a Lions uniform, would have chosen to present the Lions with a similar ultimatum after experiencing years of frustration, rather than to simply walk away from the team and from the game with his back turned in 1999. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emkow's Soap Box: Get off Bly's back

I find it odd that the majority of football fans, who like tough leaders in their players, are being so sensitive when it comes to Dre Bly's comments about Joey Harrington. Stop ripping on Bly, and start paying attention to his message!

Why are those fans afraid of being offended? Should the offending party, in this case Bly, be more mindful of their beliefs? This traditionally un-P.C. crowd seems to want more political correctness.

What Bly said about Joey Harrington and the Lions' young players offends died-in-wool traditionalists who have this puritanical vision of what football should be. He wasn't being sensitive to Harrington, or to traditionalists. So what?

Those same traditionalists believe in blood, guts, mud, leather helmets, stern coaches who wear fedoras, and giving your life to a team. They want vocal team leaders willing to sacrifice personal friendships in order to make the team a winner. They want a QB getting in the face of a WR who ran the wrong route. That's a real leader.

Look at all the man-love for Brett Favre and any fullback or linebacker who lets blood drip down their face during a game.

Bly has been the consumate team player since the moment he arrived. He's been the one player who hounds free agents to move their families to Detroit, and the only player to show up at their press conferences when they do. He hounds coaches with ideas on how to improve the team, and on game day he produces like there's no tomorrow. He's been a starter in the Pro Bowl for two consecutive years, and he's likely headed for another.

He is the greatest champion for this organization, the face of the franchise. He's also just 28 years old, and in his prime. Don't forget that he's already got his Super Bowl ring from St. Louis. He knows what winning looks like, and in his opinion, Harrington isn't it. And it's not like Bly hasn't given him a chance. He’s played with him for almost three seasons.

What Bly did was stand up for the organization, and for you, even in the face of heavy criticism that he had to know was coming. He stated his beliefs in what the organization must do in order to stop losing. He's standing alone out on a limb, taking the heat for an idea that he likely shares with other teammates.

Stop talking about cutting him, or hoping he's traded away so that Harrington can light him up in a future game. Have some respect for what he's trying to do. This isn't Terrell Owens slamming one of the NFL's great young QBs, just a year after demanding to play with him. This is an under-appreciated superstar standing up for what he believes is right. The rigid fans don't even necessarily disagree with his remarks. They just don't like how he made them -- on national television.

Bly deserves praise for his guts and leadership, even if you don't agree with his message. These puritanical Lions fans need to get off their high-horses and start appreciating the fact that you have one of the NFL's premier young players at one of the most difficult positions on the field leading your team.

Don't bow to the political correctness you claim to despise because he offended you. Look at what he's trying to accomplish with his words. He's really saying: Win now.