throwing a name out here

Jimbo's Drinker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Wilkerson. I think he's a good player. How good is he defensively in CF.

I'm assuming thats what your thinking? I don't see why he'd be a really good #2 hitter though. Its not like he's a great average hitter (although maybe he handles the bat better). He is a good OBP guy.

However, while he has a great eye, he also will strike out 150 times, plus I don't think the Sox want to go that way defensively. They would be much better off defensiely with Pods in left and Anderson in CF.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I like Wilkerson.  I think he's a good player.  Would the plan be to move him to left and let Pods play CF? 

I'm assuming thats what your thinking? I don't see why he'd be a really good #2 hitter though.  Its not like he's a great average hitter (although maybe he handles the bat better).  He is a good OBP guy and despite coming off a down year.

One major problem, while he has a great eye, he also will strike out 150 times, plus I don't think the Sox want to go that way defensively.  They would be much better off defensiely with Pods in left and Anderson in CF.

my understanding is that he's a good defensive CF, so Pods would stay put. my worry is that he's never really hit for average and strikes out a lot.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
currently, they have no left-handed relievers on their roster, so I'd think they'd go for it.

Good point, but the Sox would be down to Cotts if Marte was dealt. I'm not a minor-league guru, so I have no idea if any lefty relievers ( or starters like Cotts was ) are ready to contribute soon. Any lefty arms growin' on the farm?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Good point, but the Sox would be down to Cotts if Marte was dealt. I'm not a minor-league guru, so I have no idea if any lefty relievers ( or starters like Cotts was ) are ready to contribute soon. Any lefty arms growin' on the farm?

We have some, but none are ready to contribute at the major league level next year. If they were to deal Marte, they would need to sign a lefty or trade for a lefty reliever.

He would be a whole lot better than Pierre. I doubt the Nats will trade him but I know him and Frank Robinson had kind of a falling out.

His defense in CF is above average to anyone wondering. He would fit very nicely in the 2 hole being a high OBP guy. In a down year with injuries he was still above average.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)

Munoz is probably better against lefties because of that big Curveball he has

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Munoz is probably better against lefties because of that big Curveball he has

I thought the problem with Munoz is that he has control issues. He really has been in the distance lately though, I doubt he he pitches for us again. Same with Diaz (although he is not a lefty.)

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
He would be a whole lot better than Pierre.  I doubt the Nats will trade him but I know him and Frank Robinson had kind of a falling out.

His defense in CF is above average to anyone wondering.  He would fit very nicely in the 2 hole being a high OBP guy.  In a down year with injuries he was still above average.

He is one of my favorite players in the league. I said before last year that i think he will bust out soon and i still think it will happen, but the chances are not as likely if he stays in such a s*** offensive park. I think once he get out of rfk he will put up some big offensive numbers. The year he gets traded he will asplode in my opinion. Just wish we could get our hands on him some how.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Probably not Marte straight up, but I doubt it would take Anderson. At least we wouldn't do it anyway.

I would, but I'm not the Sox.

Wilkerson > Anderson

But Wilkerson/Pauly/Thome are all likely to be lower avg/high K/High OBP guys. I can't see us acquiring him because of his average.. Ozzie also wouldn't view him as a #2 hitter.

I love his versatility though. He'd be a great pickup.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
He is one of my favorite players in the league. I said before last year that i think he will bust out soon and i still think it will happen, but the chances are not as likely if he stays in such a s*** offensive park. I think once he get out of rfk he will put up some big offensive numbers. The year he gets traded he will asplode in my opinion. Just wish we could get our hands on him some how.

It's not just RFK either. He gets a little break in Philly, but the NL East isn't good for your slugging percentage. Shea and Dolphin stadiums are cavernous and Turner most would call a pitchers park as well.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Wilkerson would be an ok pick-up.  But, he wouldn't bat two like some people have said.  He strikes out way too much.

he also gets on base and uses the entire field. so if he were to raise the average, the strikeouts wouldn't be as bad.