throwing a name out here

Jimbo's Drinker

I've always been a big Wilkerson guy, I've taken him in the later rounds of fantasy drafts the past two year hoping he would bust out. He would be a great pickup just because of his versatility alone. He has decent speed and a pretty good arm from CF.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
I've always been a big Wilkerson guy, I've taken him in the later rounds of fantasy drafts the past two year hoping he would bust out. He would be a great pickup just because of his versatility alone. He has decent speed and a pretty good arm from CF.

What do you think it would take to get him?

Pods

Silky-Wilk

Thome

PK

Dye

Gooch

Crede

AJ

Uribe

Thats a helluva lineup if you ask me.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
I thought the problem with Munoz is that he has control issues. He really has been in the distance lately though, I doubt he he pitches for us again. Same with Diaz (although he is not a lefty.)

he pitched well out of the bullpen in 04. Just forget about that start against Montreal. He wasn't put into a good situation.

add anderson to the deal and you might, might, be in the ballpark.

Stop.

The White Sox probably wouldn't even do Marte straight up for Wilkerson, let alone add Brian Anderson.

Wilkerson is a strikeout machine, that's not what they need as a #2 hitter.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
it seems to me that no one on this board has any faith in anderson...yet i get the impression that in a couple years these same people will welcome young owens and sweeney.  just out of curiousity, why?  young is a better power prospect and owens is fast, but why couldnt anderson hit 280 20 70?

It's not the fact that people don't have faith in Anderson it's just the fact ozzie would like to add a number 2 hitter to move Tad down. No offense to Wilkerson at all but I don't think he's what Kenny and Ozzie are looking for in a 2 hitter.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
it seems to me that no one on this board has any faith in anderson...yet i get the impression that in a couple years these same people will welcome young owens and sweeney.  just out of curiousity, why?  young is a better power prospect and owens is fast, but why couldnt anderson hit 280 20 70?

yes but Wilkerson is a Stud.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
It's not the fact that people don't have faith in Anderson it's just the fact ozzie would like to add a number 2 hitter to move Tad down.  No offense to Wilkerson at all but I don't think he's what Kenny and Ozzie are looking for in a 2 hitter.

he takes a ton of pitches. Everytime I have seen him against the Braves and other teams he is taking a ton of pitches. He is an ideal lead off man. His at-bats usually last around 11 pitches and he can get on base.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
he takes a ton of pitches.  Everytime I have seen him against the Braves and other teams he is taking a ton of pitches.  He is an ideal lead off man.  His at-bats usually last around 11 pitches and he can get on base.

Wilkerson imo should and will be a 25-30 homer guy, he strikes out a ton and ideally should not be at the top of the order. He does walk a lot and that's really the only reason that people think of him as a top of the order hitter, he's not the kind of guy the sox are thinking as of a two hitter, they want a speedy leadoff type who can bunt and move guys over when necessary.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Wilkerson imo should and will be a 25-30 homer guy, he strikes out a ton and ideally should not be at the top of the order.  He does walk a lot and that's really the only reason that people think of him as a top of the order hitter, he's not the kind of guy the sox are thinking as of a two hitter, they want a speedy leadoff type who can bunt and move guys over when necessary.

he can do it. I have seen him do it and he is very good at it.

Has anyone thought of this..

Anderson gets his feet wet this year in CF.. 07 Dye leaves now we know if Anderson is the real deal or is Joe B Version 2.0. If he is as good as advertised he takes over in RF and Owens comes up in 07 to take over CF, getting the same treatment as anderson this year.

I see the Sox doing this with a back-up plan for the simple reason we are a team strpped for cash, we need our farm system to produce cheap talent. This way in 07 when we have to either re-sign Jose C or go after another SP in the market, to keep us atop of the ALC again.

I say you stick with Anderson going into the season, and if its not working out by July, then you go out and get a CF or LF( Move Pods to CF if you have to)

Kenny is always willing to make a deal at the deadline, and I think Anderson deserves a shot.

I agree we have to see what we have in him, if by June he still doesn't get it KW will make a move.. not by July. But, if anderson is getting it.. we are in great shape for years to come.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
Stop.

The White Sox probably wouldn't even do Marte straight up for Wilkerson, let alone add Brian Anderson.

Wilkerson is a strikeout machine, that's not what they need as a #2 hitter.

What should he stop? Stop with crazy offers like marte for wilkerson?

The white sox would not do marte for wilkerson because if they tried the nationals would literally laugh at them. They are not in the same ballpark. I don't see see anderson out producing wilkerson in the next three years, offensively and defensively combined. In general strikeouts are overated quite a bit but old school people cannot get over them usually. Hell we are gonna have three guys next year combine for nearly 400 strikeouts. If you put wilkerson in anderson's place that is probally adding 30 more strikeouts for a much better offensive player with higher potential. I know you will disagree but i am not a big fan of anderson's choppy and hacky approach at the plate... wilkerson has a better approach than anderson. Once he gets out of rfk... and the nl as whole like 3E8 mentioned.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
Has anyone thought of this..

Anderson gets his feet wet this year in CF.. 07 Dye leaves now we know if Anderson is the real deal or is Joe B Version 2.0. If he is as good as advertised he takes over in RF and Owens comes up in 07 to take over CF, getting the same treatment as anderson this year.

I see the Sox doing this with a back-up plan for the simple reason we are a team strpped for cash, we need our farm system to produce cheap talent.  This way in 07 when we have to either re-sign Jose C or go after another SP in the market, to keep us atop of the ALC again.

We will not be picking up dye's cheap option in 2007 why...?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
If Anderson pans out, and OWens proves he is ready    we are going to need that option money to sign a SP.

His 4.85 million dollar deal for 2007 is and will be even more of a bargain by then. Unless he hits in the .240 range in 2006 that option will be picked up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Wilkerson imo should and will be a 25-30 homer guy, he strikes out a ton and ideally should not be at the top of the order.  He does walk a lot and that's really the only reason that people think of him as a top of the order hitter, he's not the kind of guy the sox are thinking as of a two hitter, they want a speedy leadoff type who can bunt and move guys over when necessary.

Just so you know... Wilkerson has gotten most of his ABs(about 1000 of them) the last two years, that's right, from the lead off spot.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Right where he is now. I never see anderson or owens out producing dye... not during this current contract anyway.

Just as with Carlos Lee, the question is not whether or not Anderson or Owens could outproduce Dye.

The question is whether Owens and $4.4 million or so could outproduce Dye. I can think of several places where that cash could be useful...not the least of which is giving another long term deal to #56.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Just so you know... Wilkerson has gotten most of his ABs(about 1000 of them) the last two years, that's right, from the lead off spot.

I know that, but I believe he's more of a middle of the order hitter and I don't think he's the top of the order hitter the sox are looking for but that's obviously jmo. The Nats really havent had anyone else to hit in that spot unless the great Christian Guzman counts. :P

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
To Quote hawk.. Where is he going to play?

Just where he is. If Owens is going to replace anyone it would be Pods, not Dye. Owens isn't capable of being even an average Cfer, imo. He's a good athlete and very quick and he has an oustanding work ethic, but Anderson is going to be playing CF until Chris Young replaces him. The only reason I think Young will take over CF is because Anderson has the arm of a RFer and Young is really good defensively in CF (so is Anderson) but doesn't have as good of an arm.

I'm not going to pencil in or not pick up an incredibly affordable option on Dye unless Dye is totally hurt or not producing at all. Otherwise it would be foolish to not bring him back, imo.

Plus, Chris Young is who will be getting groomed in 07 as far as I'm concerned. First we got to play this year though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Just as with Carlos Lee, the question is not whether or not Anderson or Owens could outproduce Dye.

The question is whether Owens and $4.4 million or so could outproduce Dye.  I can think of several places where that cash could be useful...not the least of which is giving another long term deal to #56.

but why fix what isn't broken? That is exactly the lesson the cubs will learn when they don't resign Jeromy Burnitz. He put up decent numbers for decent money. He was a great guy in the clubhouse, why mess with that. Why pay more for somebody who you don't know will be as good in the clubhouse and outproduce him by all that much. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
but why fix what is broken?  That is exactly the lesson the cubs will learn when they don't resign Jeromy Burnitz.  He put up decent numbers for decent money.  He was a great guy in the clubhouse, why mess with that.  Why pay more for somebody who you don't know will be as good in the clubhouse and outproduce him by all that much.

Nice try.