What did Bruce Levine speculate on ?

spiderman

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Mueller won't be with the white sox. It would make more sense if the sox got someone who could play a solid 3b as well as another position. Mueller only plays 3b. Paying Mueller $4 mill a yr as Crede insurance makes little sense, esp as he can't play somewhere else in the field

If it's only a 2 year deal I think it makes perfect sense. We still have some money to use so why not add a damn good insurance policy if your worried about Joe's back?? Then if and when Boras makes Joe bolt then you have Mueller for another year to hopefully allow Fields to be ready in 08.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
I'm going to throw Sean Burroughs' hat into the mix.  Thoughts on him, beck and Jim?

Although he has mostly played 3B in his shot career, the transition to 1B is quite logical, and documented as rather easy for most big-leaguers.  He is making a little over $1.5M this season and in my humblest of opinoins, can be hand for Damaso Marte straight-up.  Take a look at the Padres' left-handed situation...it's dreadful.

Yes, that kid they drafted last year is on the fast-track to the bigs, but Damaso Marte is proven MLB talent.

You trade for Burroughs, you sign Myers--who is dynamite against lefties.

Honestly, I want thoughts on this.

If the sox are going to get a guy via trade, a versatile guy like Alex Cintron or Billy Hall would make a lot more sense than a one trick pony like Burroughs. More than likely, Crede will be around. But if he went down for a lot longer, getting a strictly 3b guy like Burrouhgs would be OK

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
If it's only a 2 year deal I think it makes perfect sense.  We still have some money to use so why not add a damn good insurance policy if your worried about Joe's back??  Then if and when Boras makes Joe bolt then you have Mueller for another year to hopefully allow Fields to be ready in 08.

The sox aren't going to pay these guys w/ monoply money. $8 mill for a UTL guy who can only play 3b is a lot of money

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
If the sox are going to get a guy via trade, a versatile guy like Alex Cintron or Billy Hall would make a lot more sense than a one trick pony like Burroughs. More than likely, Crede will be around. But if he went down for a lot longer, getting a strictly 3b guy like Burrouhgs would be OK

That's where I'm going with this. I'm looking for an inexpensive answer to spell Crede if/when his back problems flare-up on him.

Mueller is certainly an answer. But, he is an expensive answer. You also have to ask would he even be willing to sign on as a reserve/platoon type?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
The sox aren't going to pay these guys w/ monoply money. $8 mill for a UTL guy who can only play 3b is a lot of money

If they're really worried about Joe's back which they seem to be and with having some extra funds they'll give him a nice offer. A two year deal won't cripple them especially when next year he could become the starter.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
Mueller is certainly an answer.  But, he is an expensive answer.  You also have to ask would he even be willing to sign on as a reserve/platoon type?

Mueller could start somewhere and get decent money--more than the sox should and probably would pay him. But a relatively cheap guy like Burroughs wouldn't be bad

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Mueller could start somewhere and get decent money--more than the sox should and probably would pay him. But a relatively cheap guy like Burroughs wouldn't be bad

Ah, ha...the force is strong in you, young beck72. :P

But, seriously, I just don't see Mueller happening when you may be able to net that reserve-type via the trade of Marte or the like.

If Mueller is signed, the payroll is hovering around $90M and that's not taking into consideration the offers I'm sure the organization would like to extend to Pierzynski, Garland, etc.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
Ah, ha...the force is strong in you, young beck72. :P

But, seriously, I just don't see Mueller happening when you may be able to net that reserve-type via the trade of Marte or the like. 

If Mueller is signed, the payroll is hovering around $90M and that's not taking into consideration the offers I'm sure the organization would like to extend to Pierzynski, Garland, etc.

This coming from the guy who said landing Paul and Thome would be impossible. :P

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:04 AM)
Bill Mueller may be a little expensive but $3 million a year is what I think he will get.  Timo Perez made $1 million last year.  I'd rather have one Bill Mueller than three Timo Perez's.  :D

Add in the fact Mueller has to accept a lesser role instead of a starting job as a personal and professional choice [what FA wants to be a bench guy, esp one who has proven to have skills left], I think the chances are slim and none Mueller comes to the sox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
That's where I'm going with this.  I'm looking for an inexpensive answer to spell Crede if/when his back problems flare-up on him.

Mueller is certainly an answer.  But, he is an expensive answer.  You also have to ask would he even be willing to sign on as a reserve/platoon type?

I think the sox go into 2006 with a UTL guy who can play 3b and a few other spots. If Crede's back is a big problem during the year, the sox would and could trade for a Burroughs type 3bman mid year.

I think the sox go into 2006 with a UTL guy who can play 3b and a few other spots. If Crede's back is a big problem during the year, the sox would and could trade for a Burroughs type 3bman mid year.

This is a priority for the White Sox, they do not want to be put under the gun to make a panic move if Crede's back acts up. This is something IMO they'll get resolved this winter, and Guillen wants a LH bat to fill the role. Mueller is target one and barring that, Cintron. They have long had their eye on him.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
If the Mueller thing doesn't work out, whats the deal with Graffinino? I know he's not LH but he is still the super sub KW and Ozzie want.

Great call man... even right after he made that error I heard that he was a a FA this year and he is the perfect hard-nosed new yorker and would be a great infielder off the bench

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
If the Mueller thing doesn't work out, whats the deal with Graffinino? I know he's not LH but he is still the super sub KW and Ozzie want.

He wants to be a starter next season, and I think there are a few teams interested in giving him the starting spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back and start at 2nd base for the Royals.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Mueller won't be with the white sox. It would make more sense if the sox got someone who could play a solid 3b as well as another position. Mueller only plays 3b. Paying Mueller $4 mill a yr as Crede insurance makes little sense, esp as he can't play somewhere else in the field

The Sox are looking at Mueller for 3B, 2B and 1B

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
He wants to be a starter next season, and I think there are a few teams interested in giving him the starting spot.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back and start at 2nd base for the Royals.

where are you getting this info? Did you speak to him directly? I would like the link where he says he wants to be a starter.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
where are you getting this info?  Did you speak to him directly?  I would like the link where he says he wants to be a starter.

There was a blurb about him on rotoworld a few days ago where it said he was looking to sign with a team where he would start. I think there's a significantly greater chance of Mueller or Burroughs being on this team than Graffy.

Shocking news of the morning...an ESPN analyst who isn't stroking the Indians! From an ESPN.com chat with Rob Neyer:

Rob Neyer: (11:22 AM ET ) The Indians will be good, but I'm not sure how their pitching's good enough, because 1) they probably can't replace Millwood, and 2) the bullpen certainly won't be as good in 2006. The Indians will score a lot of runs, but if Jim Thome's healthy the Tribe finish third.

G (Chicago): How do you feel about the White Sox now that they added Thome and re-signed Konerko? Favorites in the Central? Any shot to repeat?

Rob Neyer: (11:28 AM ET ) Right now, I would pick the White Sox. But we need to see what (if anything) the Twins do this winter, and as I mentioned earlier, much depends on Jim Thome's creaky skeleton.

Just thought I'd share.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
Shocking news of the morning...an ESPN analyst who isn't stroking the Indians!  From an ESPN.com chat with Rob Neyer:

Just thought I'd share.

A few days ago, Neyer also said that if the Sox resigned Konerko, he'd probably have to jump them to the top of that division in his rankings next year, if Thome can start the season healthy.

I think that the trade for a potential 40-50 home run guy to hit next to PK just might have caught the attention of a few of the guys in Bristol.

And I still think that Brandon's going to catch their attention even more next year.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Mueller could give the sox, with his avg, OBP, and switch hitting. But I don't see him getting that many AB's--unless Crede is close to having surgery or something. I don't see him taking AB's from Thome or PK, from either 1b [which he hasn't ever played] or DH.

One thing is for sure, if the Sox do get Mueller it would mean Crede is bound to miss a lot of time in 2006.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I like what Mueller could give the sox, with his avg, OBP, and switch hitting. But I don't see him getting that many AB's--unless Crede is close to having surgery or something. I don't see him taking AB's from Thome or PK, from either 1b [which he hasn't ever played] or DH.

One thing is for sure, if the Sox do get Mueller it would mean Crede is bound to miss a lot of time in 2006.

He will likely get 2-3 starts per week and can pinch-hit. IMO, if he gets that, he's going to have 350-400 at-bats.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
He will likely get 2-3 starts per week and can pinch-hit.  IMO, if he gets that, he's going to have 350-400 at-bats.

Trying to sell a successful major leaguer on that would be a nice coup. Unless they said 'Hey Crede's back is screwed up bad. He may miss the season', I don't see the sox being able to sell Mueller on that deal