Twins trying to acquire Luis Castillo

SSH2005

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Here's the question, would the speed of the dome help him (ie he would hit grounders so hard they get through) or would it hurt him because it would prevent him from beating out infield hits.

I think a guy like Luis Castillo is a good guy to have playing in a dome. It'll probably even out though IMO. Good move for the Twins if they make it.

Shannon Stewart and Luis Castillo would be a pretty nice 1-2 punch. Their real need in the lineup is more power, however. Mauer is a pretty solid hitter but seems like a stretch to hit more than 20, and the same goes for Hunter (okay, he's more like between 20, and 30, but still not exactly a slugger) and most of their other players. They need Morneau to develop into the 40-homer beast many projected him to be, or at least have Kubel come in and be an impact player. Their lineup would still be far from stellar.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

It looks like this rumor has legs:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5128574

The Marlins, continuing their efforts to trade high-salaried players, are in serious discussions with the Twins about second baseman Luis Castillo, FOXSports.com has learned.

Castillo is due to earn $5 million next season, then become a free agent. His .370 career on-base percentage would make him a good fit for the Twins, who were 10th in the American League in that department last season. The Twins also place a strong emphasis on defense, and Castillo is a two-time Gold Glove winner.

The Marlins need bullpen help — they're expected to lose free-agent closer Todd Jones and recently traded setup man Guillermo Mota to the Red Sox. The Twins are deep in pitching prospects. They also could offer the Marlins a low-cost veteran reliever — either left-hander J.C. Romero at $2.2 million or right-hander Juan Rincon at $900,000.

The biggest question with Castillo is his health — his stolen-base totals have declined from 48 to 21 to 21 to 10 over the past four seasons, prompting one scout to observe, "His burst is gone."

Castillo, a three-time All-Star, probably will not be the last Marlin traded. Catcher Paul LoDuca is drawing interest from the Padres, Diamondbacks and Rockies, while center fielder Juan Pierre is on the wish list of the Cubs and several other clubs.

Edited by SSH2005

while it's undeniable that castilla would be a good turf player because hes such a good slap hitter, i dont see the twinks doing any better than 3rd place in the al central. the tribe will be much better than them this upcoming year. and needless to say, the royals and tigers will duke it out for the toilet bowl award.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
while it's undeniable that castilla would be a good turf player because hes such a good slap hitter, i dont see the twinks doing any better than 3rd place in the al central. the tribe will be much better than them this upcoming year. and needless to say, the royals and tigers will duke it out for the toilet bowl award.

I don't know about that. The Indians are probably going to lose Milwood. Wickman is 50-50 on returning. They already lost Howry. They're going to be weaker than they were last year. If the Twins make a move or two, they're right there again.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't know about that. The Indians are probably going to lose Milwood. Wickman is 50-50 on returning. They already lost Howry. They're going to be weaker than they were last year. If the Twins make a move or two, they're right there again.

But...their offense struggled mightily for the first part of last year - Martinez and Boone took forever to heat up, and that won't necessarily repeat. Hafner could improve agian next year too. They also have more young guys to plug in - I think they have a replacement for Broussard ready who could be very good.

Also, there's still room for improvement in some of their pitchers - Sabathia always seems to me to be bette rthan the numbers he puts up, so they could still improve there too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
But...their offense struggled mightily for the first part of last year - Martinez and Boone took forever to heat up, and that won't necessarily repeat.  Hafner could improve agian next year too.  They also have more young guys to plug in - I think they have a replacement for Broussard ready who could be very good.

Also, there's still room for improvement in some of their pitchers - Sabathia always seems to me to be bette rthan the numbers he puts up, so they could still improve there too.

Well you can't count the Twins out. They need some veteran players and someone like Castilla or Mueller would fit in great for them. Their rotation isn't too bad and their bullpen is good. If they find a good 3B, 2B, or even a SS they would be ok. Hunter will most likely return. I am definitley not counting them out.

That would suck if they got Luis Castillo.... I love watching him and it would suck seeing him in a team like the twins... which i happen to hate more than Cleveland.

But someone said it doesnt matter they will finish 3rd... man dont count them out they got a great bullpen and starting staff....and with Mauer, Hunter, Mourneau, and Castillo they might get some passable offense. Also like someone else said if they sign Everett he hits very good there. And b4 his injury Kubel had an awesome season in the minors so I wouldnt count him out of being productive either.

i dont think playing in a dome would help castillo, if he layed down a bunt the ball would roll faster and farther, i really dont see how hed help, he would give better fielding but they already have good fielding and speed, i dont get the move

Edited by ChWRoCk2

i dont think playing in a dome would help castillo, if he layed down a bunt the ball would roll faster and farther, i really dont see how hed help

in pro player, he used to hit those high as hell choppers and beat them out all the time. it would be that much easier for him to get away with it in the twinkiedome

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
i dont think playing in a dome would help castillo, if he layed down a bunt the ball would roll faster and farther, i really dont see how hed help, he would give better fielding but they already have good fielding and speed, i dont get the move

As a LH hitter, if he were to drag bunt, the ball is more likely to get past the pitcher on turf than it is on grass

Personally...I think Castillo would rake in the Metrodome. You saw how much Cristian Guzman's stats were affected by going from Minnesota to Washington...I think you will see the same type of pattern with Castillo, due to the two of them being very similar hitters.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
As a LH hitter, if he were to drag bunt, the ball is more likely to get past the pitcher on turf than it is on grass

Personally...I think Castillo would rake in the Metrodome.  You saw how much Cristian Guzman's stats were affected by going from Minnesota to Washington...I think you will see the same type of pattern with Castillo, due to the two of them being very similar hitters.

Similar types of hitters, don't call Castillo a similar hitter to Guzman, that isn't fair.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
But...their offense struggled mightily for the first part of last year - Martinez and Boone took forever to heat up, and that won't necessarily repeat.  Hafner could improve agian next year too.  They also have more young guys to plug in - I think they have a replacement for Broussard ready who could be very good.

Their offense also struggled early in 2004. So it's happened for two years, who is to say that'll change next year.