25 Man Roster for 2006

RME JICO

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
I think you are accurate in the extreme.  I'm anticipating our opening-day roster to look an awfully lot like this unless there are some unforseen injuries during spring training.

Now, if I were the one wearing the GM hat, I'd send Marte to San Diego for a package surrounding Sean Burroughs, sign Mike Myers to a 2Y/3M deal, and pack it in. 

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm not the general manager. :P

good thing nobody here is a GM. I have a hard time just debating who I should draft for fantasy football. :P I also don't think Kenny will try to change the team anymore with a huge move. He isn't done but they will be much smaller moves. You can't risk messing with the chemistry of this team. Edited by White Sox Josh

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
good thing nobody here is a GM.  I have a hard time just debating who I should draft for fantasy football. :P I also don't think Kenny will try to change the team anymore with a huge move.  He isn't done but they will be much smaller moves.  You can't risk messing with the chemistry of this team.

The acquisitons of one Sean Burroughs and one Mike Myers are far from huge moves.

Barring any complete clubhouse reconciliation, Damaso Marte is as good as gone. Ozzie doesn't have time for this kid's table bulls***.

Rest assured, Josh, neither Burroughs nor Myers are going to be a part of this roster. That's just what I'd like to see take place. Alright, my armchair GM time is now over.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Marte >>>>> Munoz.

There's just about no case to be made against this logic.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE? DAMASO MARTE DOES NOT SUCK AND NEITHER DOES VIZCAINO. BOTH HAD ERA'S IN THE 3's!!!! yes, damaso struggled and vizcaino had a s***ty first half, but RELEASING THEM? they aren't superstars, but id rather have vizcaino at his salary then be paying bobby howry 8 million dollars to put up the same ERA.

and what about jeff bajaneru? is he ever going to get any love?

oh yeah, and marte is a hundred million times better than munoz.

Edited by shawnhillegas

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
WHAT IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE?  DAMASO MARTE DOES NOT SUCK AND NEITHER DOES VIZCAINO.  BOTH HAD ERA'S IN THE 3's!!!!  yes, damaso struggled and vizcaino had a s***ty first half, but RELEASING THEM?  they aren't superstars, but id rather have vizcaino at his salary then be paying bobby howry 8 million dollars to put up the same ERA.

and what about jeff bajaneru?  is he ever going to get any love?

oh yeah, and marte is a hundred million times better than munoz.

Deep Breath . . . . There we go, now go count to ten

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
The acquisitons of one Sean Burroughs and one Mike Myers are far from huge moves. 

Barring any complete clubhouse reconciliation, Damaso Marte is as good as gone.  Ozzie doesn't have time for this kid's table bulls***.

Rest assured, Josh, neither Burroughs nor Myers are going to be a part of this roster.  That's just what I'd like to see take place.  Alright, my armchair GM time is now over.

no i like Burroughs but San Diego might just hold on to him as a backup IF. His average isn't that bad and he might be best in that role. Myers I like even though he is getting up there in age. He was great last year. If the Red Sox don't have him they might not make the playoffs. Myers might be but i don't think Burroughs is going anywhere and if he is i think the Sox will have already signed Mueller by than.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Idonno I wouldnt mind giving Munoz a shot... he would be the last man in the bullpen and he could go multiple innings at a time so it would be ok.... thats a course assuming we trade Marte.

Giving Munoz a shot as the last man out of the pen and replacing Marte with him as the 2nd lefty out of the pen are two totally different things. If we can't find a viable 2nd lefty for the pen, Marte should be retained.

Like someone said already, Marte at his best can be one of the best left handed relievers in baseball. I would rather have someone that has proven they are good at one point than Munoz. Yes he was only with the ballclub for a little but that doesn't mean he should take Marte's spot. Only as a callup incase of an injury like Walker was last year. Speaking of him, Walker

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Giving Munoz a shot as the last man out of the pen and replacing Marte with him as the 2nd lefty out of the pen are two totally different things. If we can't find a viable 2nd lefty for the pen, Marte should be retained.

Last year Marte was horrible vs lefties hell Cotts is worse vs lefties than he is vs righties.....

If it wasnt for the other guys in our bullpen Marte's era would of been in the 5's.... if he gets everything together is awesome but chances are he wont and if thats the case is he really all that better than Munoz?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Last year Marte was horrible vs lefties hell Cotts is worse vs lefties than he is vs righties.....

If it wasnt for the other guys in our bullpen Marte's era would of been in the 5's.... if he gets everything together is awesome but chances are he wont and if thats the case is he really all that better than Munoz?

he put up a 1.80 ERA in september and they hit .176 against him. You are right about Marte's ERA. It should've been a lot worse. Just look at the ALDS game 3.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
he put up a 1.80 ERA in september and they hit .176 against him.  You are right about Marte's ERA.  It should've been a lot worse.  Just look at the ALDS game 3.

Also the Angels havent had a good lefty in their bullpen and they have always been good.... the last lefty of importance was Schoenweis and he isnt even that good.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Also the Angels havent had a good lefty in their bullpen and they have always been good.... the last lefty of importance was Schoenweis and he isnt even that good.

but he was against the lefties. Plus isn't Neal Cotts still in this bullpen? He was the best lefty set-up man in the AL last year. I have said it before and i will say it again: The most overrated thing in sports is the lefty-lefty or righty-righty matchups. Who cares as long as you get guys out. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
but he was against the lefties.  Plus isn't Neal Cotts still in this bullpen?  He was the best lefty set-up man in the AL last year.  I have said it before and i will say it again: The most overrated thing in sports is the lefty-lefty or righty-righty matchups.  Who cares as long as you get guys out.

Do you really think that for 100+ years that baseball managers have wrong about this? Statistically, RHH hit LHP better than they RHP. Statistically, LHH hit RHP better than they do LHP. It's been that way for a century and there are valid reasons for it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Do you really think that for 100+ years that baseball managers have wrong about this?  Statistically, RHH hit LHP better than they RHP.  Statistically, LHH hit RHP better than they do LHP.  It's been that way for a century and there are valid reasons for it.

Thats true but the way I look at it.... A good pitcher will get a batter out if he is a righty or lefty.... and right now Marte isnt a good pitcher.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
Thats true but the way I look at it.... A good pitcher will get a batter out if he is a righty or lefty.... and right now Marte isnt a good pitcher.

That good pitcher is more likely to get that batter out if he happens to hit from the same side as the pitcher throws.

You have to stop looking at this from a pure baseball perspective and instead look at it through Ozzie's eyes. It doesn't really matter if a RHP is better against lefties when it comes to Ozzie, he'll play the matchups and throw a LHP out there. Meaning if it's late in the game, a lefty is comming up and Cotts has already been used Ozzie will be bringing in his 2nd LHP and I'd much rather have that be Marte as opposed to Munoz.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
You have to stop looking at this from a pure baseball perspective and instead look at it through Ozzie's eyes. It doesn't really matter if a RHP is better against lefties when it comes to Ozzie, he'll play the matchups and throw a LHP out there. Meaning if it's late in the game, a lefty is comming up and Cotts has already been used Ozzie will be bringing in his 2nd LHP and I'd much rather have that be Marte as opposed to Munoz.

No he should be bringing in Politte, Hermanson, or Jenks. That logic is so stupid. Look you can do this matchup stuff if you have the right players. Tony LaRussa has the pitchers in the bullpen to do that:

Ray King- Best Lefty Set Up Man in the NL right now.

Randy Flores- Another very good lefty. Not as good as King but still damn good. Lefties hit .173 against him.

Al Reyes: His numbers are SICK!

Tavarez- Solid in the bullpen.

Cal Eldred- He had a very good year.

Brad Thompson- Another great pitcher.

See Tony LaRussa has another lefty who can get lefties out. He has the righties who can get righties out. His Bullpen is built to matchup like that. The Sox don't have that yet.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
No he should be bringing in Politte, Hermanson, or Jenks.  That logic is so stupid.  Look you can do this matchup stuff if you have the right players.  Tony LaRussa has the pitchers in the bullpen to do that:

Ray King- Best Lefty Set Up Man in the NL right now.

Randy Flores- Another very good lefty.  Not as good as King but still damn good.  Lefties hit .173 against him.

Al Reyes: His numbers are SICK!

Tavarez- Solid in the bullpen.

Cal Eldred- He had a very good year.

Brad Thompson- Another great pitcher.

See Tony LaRussa has another lefty who can get lefties out.  He has the righties who can get righties out.  His Bullpen is built to matchup like that.  The Sox don't have that yet.

Did you watch the Sox at all this year? It doesn't matter what you say he "should do" it's all about what he "will do" and what he does is play Left-left/righty-righty matchups.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Did you watch the Sox at all this year? It doesn't matter what you say he "should do" it's all about what he "will do" and what he does is play Left-left/righty-righty matchups.

yes but I am saying it is not right. The Angels don't have that yet they have the best Bullpen in the AL.

So, taking a look at this again after the Mack-Marte trade, the roster is starting to take shape. So it looks like there are only two roster spots open:

SP

1. Buehrle

2. Contreras

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5. McCarthy

RP

6. Hernandez (SP/RP)

7. Cotts

8. Politte

9. Jenks

10. Hermanson

11. Vizcaino

12. LHRP TBD

C

13. Pierzynski

14. Widger

IF

15. Crede - 3B

16. Iguchi - 2B

17. Konerko - 1B

18. Thome - DH

19. Uribe - SS

20. Ozuna

21. Mackowiak

OF

22. Dye

23. Podsednik

24. Anderson

25. Owens*

? - Harris

? - Perez

Edited by WinninUgly

On the Sox official website from an article by Scott Merkin:

"For starters, the White Sox picked up a versatile left-handed hitter, with some pop off the bench, who turns 30 in June. Mackowiak, who earned $1.5 million last year and is arbitration eligible, has the ability to play every position but shortstop and catcher and provides a solid insurance policy behind Joe Crede and his two herniated discs at third base.

His presence gives the White Sox a crucial opportunity to carry a 12th pitcher and protect against not only some of the big inning totals amassed by the starting rotation in 2005 and beyond but also Dustin Hermanson's ongoing offseason rehabilitation on his back, which Williams said Thursday was going well. The addition of Mackowiak, who hit .272 in 2005 and knocked out 17 home runs in 2004, also means the end of the line with the White Sox for outfielder Timo Perez and infielder Willie Harris.

Both are expected to be non-tendered at the arbitration deadline. The move also could mean a new location for Ross Gload, with basically the fourth outfielder's spot the only roster opening remaining, and rookie Jerry Owens apparently a leading candidate to fill that void. "

I like the way Merkin is thinking about the 2006 roster: 12 pitchers (assuming we sign or call up a lefty reliever), Anderson AND Owens making the team, and no Willie or Timo. Let's see what our farm system's got...