25 Man Roster for 2006

RME JICO

Looks like there are only two spots open, a lefthanded relief pitcher and the 4th OF spot.

There will be a bunch of guys non tendered re: the OF spot and I believe they will bring someone in to compete with Owens, probably on a minor league deal.

As for the LHP spot, my hunch is exactly what the Sox website says, they've lined up a guy or two from some other organization, someone who's been in the minors.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand why we would let owens rot on the bench when he doesnt even have a year at AAA under his belt. let the guy play!!! people are worried because he was a football player and is still a raw talent, well at bats seems to be the solution to that problem, not watching brian anderson and eating sunflower seeds.

Edited by shawnhillegas

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
i dont understand why would let owens rot on the bench when he doesnt even have a year at AAA under his belt.  let the guy play!!!  people are worried because he was a football player and is still a raw talent, well at bats seems to be the solution to that problem, not watching brian anderson and eating sunflower seeds.

I'm 100 percent with you here. I think and hope Kenny will find a solid 4th outfielder and let Owens get some ab's in aaa, assuming BA wins the CF job.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
The ideal outcome would be to obtain Jeff DaVanon and trade Willie and Borchard for a decent lefty reliever with some upside.

That would make this offseason perfect. Maybe instead of Davanon, Tucker or another FA.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
yes but I am saying it is not right.  The Angels don't have that yet they have the best Bullpen in the AL.

Why did people think the Angels had the best pen in 2005? They have K-Rod, Shields and Donnelly, yes. But look at who else they had.

Jake Woods - 4.52 ERA

Esteban Yan - 4.59 ERA

Joel Peralta - 3.89 ERA

Kevin Gregg - 5.04 ERA.

Donnelly also had a 3.72 ERA in 2005. Frankly, it shows how valuable Scott Shields is to them.

I have 2 problems with KW considering Owens for a 4th OF spot:

1. He has never played an out in AAA. I think there is still time in his development to take him there.

2. If Owens is the 4th OF, from everything I have heard he would not be able to play RF. Who does that leave as our back up RF? Mackowiak? I think that the 4th OF should be able to play all 3 OF spots.

However, the addition of a guy as versatile as Mackowiak gives you flexibility on the bench.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
I have 2 problems with KW considering Owens for a 4th OF spot:

1.  He has never played an out in AAA.  I think there is still time in his development to take him there.

2.  If Owens is the 4th OF, from everything I have heard he would not be able to play RF.  Who does that leave as our back up RF?  Mackowiak?  I think that the 4th OF should be able to play all 3 OF spots. 

However, the addition of a guy as versatile as Mackowiak gives you flexibility on the bench.

Anderson could move to RF and Owens or Pods step in at CF.

Updated 25 Man Roster

SP

1. Buehrle

2. Contreras

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5. Vazquez

RP

6. McCarthy (SP/RP)

7. Cotts

8. Politte

9. Jenks