Why not Owens???

rowand's rowdies

With the addition of Thome, due to getting rid of a class act, Bears fan, all around great player Aaron Rowand, I think our offense is where it needs to be. Crede and Uribe will continue to improve, as will A.J.'s batting average. Iguchi will be a year more adjusted, and Pods will return healthy with some confidence that he does actually have a little power. Why not do what the Astros did with Tavares and instead of spending or trading more talent for a OF go with the speedy Owens? The angels also did it with Chone Figgins a couple of years ago. Willie Harris and Owens could both be used off the bench to create a speedy duo. Harris with some added playing time could be a .250 hitter i believe. Then, get rid of f***ing Timo, please, and get a defensive minded backup outfielder (free agent, any ideas?) who can come in once and a while and provide some power (maybe already have in gload?). No need in my mind to add salary now, let's wait til the trade deadline.

p.s. although the rowand's rowdies are dead, we will rise again in another form.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your talking about Jerry Owens then I think it's a bad idea...

Honestly I'd rather they just put a guy like Chris Young out there and just let him figure it out as he goes along...

I think most likely to play CF next year:

1) Anderson

2) Young

3) Owens

4) Harris

At least those are the in house options...

I understand why people are skeptical about Anderson next year, but let me make these few points.

1. Brian Anderson is almost certainly the best defensive outfielder we have in our organization right now. Good throwing arm, great speed. Owens may be better in time, but Anderson is better now. And we do not want a major downgrade in defense in center field right now.

2. Aaron Rowand was not in any way a key part of our offense last year. ARow struggled to hit .270 with home runs barely in double figures. Especially late in the season, his clutch hitting even faultered. Yet we still won the world series and put up enough runs to do so.

3. If Brian Anderson experiences some growing pains in the big leagues,it will be almost impossible for him not to generate as many runs as Aaron. He has more power than Aaron, and even though he'll strike out more, it's not like Aaron was tearing apart the league with average or walking like a leadoff hitter. Even a poor season from Brian Anderson will virtually replace Rowand's production.

4. We are not in desperate need of an offensive upgrade in center field. We just massively upgraded our offense by fixing our biggest needs from last year - left handed power and a guy with a high OBP. Anything Anderson does is a bonus beyond that.

5. Brian Anderson already spent a year in AAA. There is only so much he could learn from another year there.

6. Brian Anderson's arbitration clock has already started. Owens's has not.

7. Brian Anderson is dirt cheap, compared with someone like Pierre. If necessary, by plugging him in, we may be able to afford to eat a portion of El Duque's contract if he is traded. Or we'll have more flexibility next year. Etc.

8. Brian Anderson is too good to languish in the minor leagues forever. He has the potential to be a very good outfielder for this team in the future. He's going to suffer some growing pains when he first comes up, but that will happen no matter when he gets his first full season in the big leagues.

Brian Anderson is not the best possible player we could plug into Center field next year, but I think he's the smartest option right now.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
If your talking about Jerry Owens then I think it's a bad idea...

Honestly I'd rather they just put a guy like Chris Young out there and just let him figure it out as he goes along...

I think most likely to play CF next year:

1) Anderson

2) Young

3) Owens

4) Harris

At least those are the in house options...

What makes you think Young is more ready than Owens? Was it Owens batting title, or his dominance in the winter leagues?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
What makes you think Young is more ready than Owens?  Was it Owens batting title, or his dominance in the winter leagues?

Jeckle really doesnt know much about the minors.... for proof just look at DBaho's sig :P .

Anyways he prob has heard a lot of hype about C. Young so he just assumes he would do better. But if your talking about making an impact at the major league lvl next season only than either Anderson or Owens are your best bet. Young still needs another season in the minors... if he is tearing it up in AAA and Anderson is struggling maybe he can get a midseason callup but other than that he needs more time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Or that neither has ever played a game in AAA.

I love hearing about Young, Owens, and Sweeney, I am excited for all 3, but I personally think a team coming off a World Series title shouldnt relay on Chris Young and Jerry Owens in 2006.

True to an extent. No we should not depend on minor leaguers who haven't played a game above the AA level to save us but we should not forgot about them. In order to win on a yearly basis your farm system will have to pitch in.

EDIT: You always hear that saying of "A team coming off a world series shouldn't..." some of it is true but you cant forget what made your team. Smart acquisitions and your farm system.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
Young/Owens/Sweeney/Anderson will all get there shot, in time.

Are we really that in need that Owens needs to be up, skiping AAA? I dont think so, but I guess im worng.....

Of course you're not wrong. Owens should be starting for Charlotte next year. If the Sox get lucky, he's ready to be an everyday player in 2007, perhaps replacing Podsednik.

BTW Tony...I think that is the grossest sig on Soxtalk. YUCK :puke :lol:

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
Are we really that in need that Owens needs to be up, skiping AAA? I dont think so, but I guess im worng.....

Is skipping AAA really that big of a deal? It seems to me like the Sox as an organization haven't really ever had a big problem with promoting guys straight from AA, and in a case like Owens, I think he warrants it. He did a good job of controlling the strike zone -- 52/72 ratio. And, I think he can be a pretty big help for the team, subbing for Anderson and Podsednik, getting two-three starts per week.

Of course, I can also see the argument for wanting Owens to get ABs on a daily basis, at Charlotte, and wanting someone like Borchard to take the 4th OFer spot.

What I can't see, however, is trading for Pierre when we already have one of him in left field, and another of him who's a half a year away, if not ready right now (Owens).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Of course you're not wrong.  Owens should be starting for Charlotte next year.  If the Sox get lucky, he's ready to be an everyday player in 2007, perhaps replacing Podsednik.

BTW Tony...I think that is the grossest sig on Soxtalk.  YUCK  :puke  :lol:

I never said he was wrong. I guess I meant to use what he said as an example about how others might overuse the whole coming off a championship season as an excuse to sign a lot of people instead of using the farm. I probably should have said that first...

At the same time I didn't mean to sound like I thought Owens should be our starting CF either. :huh

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Is skipping AAA really that big of a deal?  It seems to me like the Sox as an organization haven't really ever had a big problem with promoting guys straight from AA, and in a case like Owens, I think he warrants it.  He did a good job of controlling the strike zone -- 52/72 ratio.  And, I think he can be a pretty big help for the team, subbing for Anderson and Podsednik, getting two-three starts per week.

Of course, I can also see the argument for wanting Owens to get ABs on a daily basis, at Charlotte, and wanting someone like Borchard to take the 4th OFer spot. 

What I can't see, however, is trading for Pierre when we already have one of him in left field, and another of him who's a half a year away, if not ready right now (Owens).

In the early to mid nineties that is the only way the sox would bring up prospects. It didn't hurt alot of them when it came to devoloping. Might have taken them one full year or so to adjust but from there on they put up solid numbers. Owess making the minimum or paying timo one million in arbitration? It really sucks balls that timo is gonna be back yet again.

Edited by qwerty

In the early to mid nineties that is the only way the sox would bring up prospects. It didn't hurt alot of them when it came to devoloping. Might have taken them one full year or so to adjust but from there on they put up solid numbers. Owess making the minimum or paying timo one million in arbitration? It really sucks balls that timo is gonna be back yet again.

Why do you think Timo will be back? I honestly think he will be non-tendered.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Why do you think Timo will be back?  I honestly think he will be non-tendered.

I have no reason to believe he won't. Ozzie, and the sox in general seem to like him enough to think he is worthy of a roster space and a million dollars. Sad thing is, minor leaguers... and i am talking piece of s*** minor leaguers, can do what he does for a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
I have no reason to believe he won't. Ozzie, and the sox in general seem to like him enough to think he is worthy of a roster space and a million dollars. Sad thing is, minor leaguers... and i am talking piece of s*** minor leaguers, can do what he does for a fraction of the cost.

u think borchard is equal to timo? i think not.

i think sweeney,anderson, young and owens are probably equal or better at the major league level to timo but anderson is coming up to replace rowand and the only other minor leaguer who would make the roster is borchard because he is out of options and they dont want to have the other 3 start with the major league club unless they pull a pablo in spring training

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)

i think sweeney,anderson, young and owens are probably equal or better at the major league level to timo but anderson is coming up to replace rowand and the only other minor leaguer who would make the roster is borchard because he is out of options and they dont want to have the other 3 start with the major league club unless they pull a pablo in spring training

I think Borchard deserves a roster spot more than Timo. If they both hit .220 at least JoBo adds the threat of some power.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)

Borchard> timo with a few more ''>''.

I would even take the one, the only, leo daigle over timo.

I am not sure if i am serious... pretty sure i am though.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
Borchard> timo with a few more ''>''.

I would even take the one, the only, leo daigle over timo.

I am not sure if i am serious... pretty sure i am though.

And the argument from a Timo backer.....

"But, but what about the clutch bloop singles!!!!" :bang

If trading Owens could get the Sox Juan Pierre, they should do it in a heartbeat. Owens do very well in AA as a 24 yr old. By the time Pierre was 24, he had over 1000 ab's in the bigs and already had hit over .300 over an entire yr and one season with over 200 ab's.

They are only 3 1/2 yrs apart in age. But the experience between the two is tremendous. If Owens was 19 or 20, the sox should keep him for the long term. Yet with either Pods or Pierre able to get re-signed for 2007, when Owens could be ready, Owens is expendable

If trading Owens could get the Sox Juan Pierre, they should do it in a heartbeat. Owens do very well in AA as a 24 yr old. By the time Pierre was 24, he had over 1000 ab's in the bigs and already had hit over .300 over an entire yr and one season with over 200 ab's.

They are only 3 1/2 yrs apart in age. But the experience between the two is tremendous. If Owens was 19 or 20, the sox should keep him for the long term. Yet with either Pods or Pierre able to get re-signed for 2007, when Owens could be ready, Owens is expendable

This I would be against, let me tell you why.

Owens looks like a blossoming leadoff hitter, the age thing doesn't mean much with this guy because he'd been away from baseball a few years. Less baseball miles on his body.

Leadoff hitters are harder and harder to find and develop. Owens is a perfect replacement for Podsednik at some point if Pods gets expensive or injured.

They want Owens to improve his walk rate, although as Keith noted he's got good strike zone judgement already and bat control as well. The thing is he's best suited defensively for LF. Chris Young is a potential high impact player who's best suited for CF. Sweeney is a potential high average great arm who's best suited for RF who'll be ready right about the time Dye's contract expires.

Interesting that on Guillen's conference call yesterday, he "guarantees" they will have a new #2 hitter. Hmmmm ...

Good post balta, I agree with everything you said.

BA is dirt cheap, and his offense can hardly be any worse than Rowand's. He might hit .250 but he's a lock to have at least Rowand's 2005 OPS, what was it, like .736 or something bad like that.

Defensively, I think it is mostly agreed upon that BA has a better arm than Rowand, better speed, and gets good jumps and reads.

I really think at his price tag of $250,000, and that fact that Thome is guaranteed to offset any loss from Rowand's spot, that this move is a no brainer. Plug BA into CF, let him struggle, just keep telling him to play solid D, thats all we need.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
This I would be against, let me tell you why.

Owens looks like a blossoming leadoff hitter, the age thing doesn't mean much with this guy because he'd been away from baseball a few years.  Less baseball miles on his body.

Leadoff hitters are harder and harder to find and develop.  Owens is a perfect replacement for Podsednik at some point if Pods gets expensive or injured.

They want Owens to improve his walk rate, although as Keith noted he's got good strike zone judgement already and bat control as well.  The thing is he's best suited defensively for LF.  Chris Young is a potential high impact player who's best suited for CF.  Sweeney is a potential high average great arm who's best suited for RF who'll be ready right about the time Dye's contract expires. 

Interesting that on Guillen's conference call yesterday, he "guarantees" they will have a new #2 hitter.  Hmmmm ...

Perfect assessment. All odds and performance point to Owens being a player similar to Pierre, but cheaper, possibly better defender, and maybe better hitter. I think Owens, YOung, Anderson stay in our system for now.

Trading Owens for Pierre would be the dumbest move KW could make. I thought Owens was projecting to be an All-Star, (the highest cieling of any position player the sox have right?) and you're suggesting trading him for a number "2" hitter who doesn't work the count, had a .326 OBP (OMG!) in 2005, has had 2 good seasons out of 7 in the majors, makes 5 million a year, and plays crap defense?

No thanks.