Why not Owens???

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
we need a number 2 hitter with a little bit of Pop for crying out loud. 

The sox already have that with Iguchi. They evidently haven't got your memo or email or else they wouldn't be looking for the speed, avg and OBP being talked about in the papers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
IS HE GOING TO HIT LEADOFF FOR THE SOX.

No, but Pierre would also be a great backup leadoff man in case Pods got hurt/ needed a rest to stay fresh [which he will need, esp as he's another yr older]. Right now, Ozuna is the backup leadoff man [that is a putrid option]. Yet he couldn't even take over everyday in the OF if Pods went down.

Now's the time to get stocked up for the season, and have backup plans ready. If Pods gets hurt in April, the sox would have to wait until the trade deadline to strike a deal.

Huh?

I think something got lost in that translation. I think Iguchi is fine in the number two spot. I don't advocate any linup changes from last year, Juan can hit 9, I like that.

I'm not sending any memo to the sox to go look for a number 2 hitter; I'm sending a memo to the board that the Sox shouldn't trade for Juan Pierre.

We don't need a number 2 hitter, which is why we don't need to trade for Pierre, along with a million other reasons, most of which deal with how bad a hitter Juan is, and that BA can't be any worse while coming much cheaper.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
Huh?

I think something got lost in that translation.  I think Iguchi is fine in the number two spot.  I don't advocate any linup changes from last year, Juan can hit 9, I like that.

I'm not sending any memo to the sox to go look for a number 2 hitter; I'm sending a memo to the board that the Sox shouldn't trade for Juan Pierre.

We don't need a number 2 hitter, which is why we don't need to trade for Pierre, along with a million other reasons, most of which deal with how bad a hitter Juan is, and that BA can't be any worse while coming much cheaper.

The Sox want a new number 2 hitter, nobody said anything about you wanting one. That's why Pierre has been brought up so much cause the Sox want to move Iguchi down to make use of his power.

Yea, it would be nice to have a backup leadoff man, but it would be nice to have alot of things, and the Sox budget is near max, if we sign another utility man, I think were maxed out, given that Marte and Duque stay.

The money Pierre makes will probably max out the payroll and preclude any chance of getting a decent utility type in case Kong or Crede go down, (who knows with Reinsdorf, but it can't be wrong to assume he thinks anything much above 85 million is stretching it, which we'd have to go way over if we trade for Juan and another utiilty type.) So given the budget, I don't think it's a wise tradeoff to bring in Juan, when a fine and very cheap option exists in the sox farm system.

"The Sox want a new number 2 hitter, nobody said anything about you wanting one. That's why Pierre has been brought up so much cause the Sox want to move Iguchi down to make use of his power."

Great, they want a new number 2 hitter, I'd like a BMW, but that isn't going to happen because it WOULD COST TOO MUCH.

I'd have to sell my computer and the cheapo car I have now and god knows what else, and boy I can't even post on soxtalk anymore! Although some of you would like that, I'm not going to make it happen ;-)

Similiary, just say no to Juan Pierre. He is a terrible freaking number 2 hitter, god, go get a number two hitter, but where the heck is he going to play? Juan Pierre plays CF obviously, the only position on the field open for the Sox. So if Juan comes in he is the new sparkly number 2 hitter? Great, a guy with worse stats than Gooch and Rowand comes in and hits number two.

uhg, I'm going to to the bar to get even more beligerent, hopefully I have at least provoked some raw emotion in the cold winter.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
"The Sox want a new number 2 hitter, nobody said anything about you wanting one. That's why Pierre has been brought up so much cause the Sox want to move Iguchi down to make use of his power."

Great, they want a new number 2 hitter, I'd like a BMW, but that isn't going to happen because it WOULD COST TOO MUCH. 

I'd have to sell my computer and the cheapo car I have now and god knows what else, and boy I can't even post on soxtalk anymore!  Although some of you would like that, I'm not going to make it happen ;-)

Similiary, just say no to Juan Pierre.  He is a terrible freaking number 2 hitter, god, go get a number two hitter, but where the heck is he going to play?  Juan Pierre plays CF obviously, the only position on the field open for the Sox.  So if Juan comes in he is the new sparkly number 2 hitter?  Great, a guy with worse stats than Gooch and Rowand comes in and hits number two.

uhg, I'm going to to the bar to get even more beligerent, hopefully I have at least provoked some raw emotion in the cold winter.

got to wait for the non tender contract day. i believe it is next week. i think there might some names on that list that will surprise some. some that will be intriguing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
I'd actually argue that it is harder on Jenks than it is on Anderson.  Anderson has 8 other guys in the line up to hide in, and two other OFers to help him out.  When Jenks is on the mound, odds are the game rests on every pitch he throws, pretty much everytime he is out there.  I am just making the point that teams do what they need to do to fill their holes, and balance their spending.  For a team like the Sox, that means they need a few cheap guys to balance out their big money contracts.  There is nothing wrong with Brian Anderson or whoever getting a chance on a defending World Champion team, as they Sox have the entire rest of the line up as veterans, and an incredible pitching staff as well.  it isn't like we are pulling a Florida Marlins and pulling the plug after winning a WS.

By far the best analysis in terms of a rookie coming in to man CF I've heard yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
I understand why people are skeptical about Anderson next year, but let me make these few points.

1.  Brian Anderson is almost certainly the best defensive outfielder we have in our organization right now.  Good throwing arm, great speed.  Owens may be better in time, but Anderson is better now.  And we do not want a major downgrade in defense in center field right now.

2.  Aaron Rowand was not in any way a key part of our offense last year.  ARow struggled to hit .270 with home runs barely in double figures.  Especially late in the season, his clutch hitting even faultered.  Yet we still won the world series and put up enough runs to do so.

3.  If Brian Anderson experiences some growing pains in the big leagues,it will be almost impossible for him not to generate as many runs as Aaron.  He has more power than Aaron, and even though he'll strike out more, it's not like Aaron was tearing apart the league with average or walking like a leadoff hitter.  Even a poor season from Brian Anderson will virtually replace Rowand's production.

4.  We are not in desperate need of an offensive upgrade in center field.  We just massively upgraded our offense by fixing our biggest needs from last year - left handed power and a guy with a high OBP.  Anything Anderson does is a bonus beyond that.

5.  Brian Anderson already spent a year in AAA.  There is only so much he could learn from another year there.

6.  Brian Anderson's arbitration clock has already started.  Owens's has not.

7.  Brian Anderson is dirt cheap, compared with someone like Pierre.  If necessary, by plugging him in, we may be able to afford to eat a portion of El Duque's contract if he is traded.  Or we'll have more flexibility next year.  Etc.

8.  Brian Anderson is too good to languish in the minor leagues forever.  He has the potential to be a very good outfielder for this team in the future.  He's going to suffer some growing pains when he first comes up, but that will happen no matter when he gets his first full season in the big leagues.

Brian Anderson is not the best possible player we could plug into Center field next year, but I think he's the smartest option right now.

That is one hell of a post, man.

Yep, it's gonna be a tight race for Soxtalk ROY this year between Middle Buffalo, Big Ed Walsh, ptatc, and Balta. I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone too.