There's no relief for 'El Duque'

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

There's no relief for 'El Duque'

Sox plan to keep veteran in rotation

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Orlando Hernandez's timeliest contribution last season occurred in relief, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has ruled out that role as he sorts out a pleasant problem for next spring with the emergence of 22-year-old Brandon McCarthy.

"[Hernandez] should be a starter," Guillen said Thursday. "It's up to him to see how he feels."

Hernandez, who is listed at 36, twice was placed on the disabled list in 2005 because of right shoulder inflammation. He did, however, bail Chicago out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam in Game 3 of the American League Division Series with three scoreless innings to help dethrone Boston.

McCarthy presents an attractive option as a starter because he was 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA in 422/3 innings after getting promoted for the second time from Triple-A Charlotte.

More important, McCarthy held his own against the likes of Boston's Curt Schilling and Minnesota's Johan Santana during an impressive stretch late in the season.

Neither Hernandez nor McCarthy, however, has extensive experience in the bullpen, and the Sox have three off-days during the first 10 days of the season.

That virtually rules out the possibility of a six-man rotation to start the season.

"I don't know exactly what we're going to do," Guillen said.

Another potential pitching concern could arise next week, as rosters for the World Baseball Classic are announced. Freddy Garcia, who threw 249 innings during the regular season and playoffs, could be named to the Venezuela roster.

That would mean Garcia would have to start training earlier than usual and miss at least half of spring training, although the Classic will have rules to protect pitchers.

Guillen admitted Garcia was caught in crossfire.

"I'm really concerned," Guillen said. "Freddy got tired toward the end of the season."

Nevertheless, Guillen said several Venezuelan players seemed committed to play for their native country and said those who decline to play would be subject to criticism from their fellow countrymen.

"It really puts them in a tight spot," Guillen said.

Thanks to a relatively healthy staff, the Sox used only six starting pitchers last season but would have to dip deeper if Hernandez suffers a setback or Garcia is fatigued.

Those were the only major concerns, however, and Guillen expressed his delight at the immediate retooling of the Sox's offense with the addition of Jim Thome and the re-signing of Paul Konerko.

"We have the opportunity to be good for a long time," Guillen said.

With Aaron Rowand's departure, rookie Brian Anderson will be given the first shot at center field.

Guillen, however, spoke with caution about the expectations for Anderson. The Sox's No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft hit two homers off Seattle's 19-year-old flame-throwing phenom Felix Hernandez on Aug. 26.

"I just worry about his defense," Guillen said.

Guillen was more forthcoming about Jerry Owens, who was placed on the 40-man roster and is hitting .378 in 37 games for La Guaira of the Venezuelan League.

"This kid has opened some eyes," the manager said.

In assessing his plan to move Juan Uribe and Tadahito Iguchi in the order, Guillen hopes batting second will make Uribe a more disciplined hitter while allowing Iguchi to drive in more runs from either the sixth or seventh spot.

Moving Iguchi from the second spot "will give us a very good shot to see who he really is," Guillen said.

So--is McCarthy slated for the bullpen?

Or is Garland being shopped?

Hopefully Guillen will change his tune after a talk with Williams.

Why play this tired game of appointing favorites? Duque doesn't deserve placement in the rotation over McCarthy. Our goal is to win, not appease a veteran.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I am pretty shocked but I really can't believe this just because he saved us vs Boston. Duque over Bmac?? That better be a f***ing joke. I hope this is just ozzie showing some respect to Duque. Counting him out before giving him a chance would probably insult Duque. As long as oz knows what really is going to happen or should happen I think he'll put Bmac in there.

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks Uribe batting 2nd kind of sucks? I mean yes he showed good discipline late in the season but still...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
There is still a long time until spring training and b4 the season starts so whatevr is being said now I could careless about.  Nothing is set in stone and really its KW's final decision if Duque starts or not.

Ozzie makes "da focking lineup."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
Translation:  No teams are interested in El Duque right now.  Hopefully, he will show he's healthy and perform well in Spring Training so some team needing a starter will take on his $4.5 million contract.

Although I am not thrilled at the idea about duque being in the pen I love having him. He can step up anytime to spot start incase any of our starters won't be able to make their starts. He has a good influence on Count. Also his playoff experience, this guy might not be that great during the season but we all f***ing know he has cold blood during the playoffs. I really want to keep him.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)
Although I am not thrilled at the idea about duque being in the pen I love having him. He can step up anytime to spot start incase any of our starters won't be able to make their starts. He has a good influence on Count. Also his playoff experience, this guy might not be that great during the season but we all f***ing know he has cold blood during the playoffs. I really want to keep him.

I love Duque for his playoff contributions. However, it would be a huge transaction if we're able to clear his salary. He's making way too much money for the role he'll likely be in.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Uribe to the 2nd spot?  I acutally like it, but we're going to have to deal with his prolonged slumps.

We simply cant have someone who is an automatic out for long stretches batting second. Look for Uribe back batting 8th or 9th like he always does.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Uribe hit no worse hitting behind in the count as opposed to when he was hitting ahead in the count.  So he hit in the .250s when hitting behind in the count as opposed to Gooch's .180.  The problem is he rocks lefties but gets dominated by righties.

You can't really count Gooch's numbers because he would take pitches just for Pods to take a look at the pitchers move and also let him steal. Then after pods does his thing then Gooch would sacrifice to move Pods over. Thats what made Gooch so good in that 2 spot.

If Uribe isn't working out or our offense isn't getting it done in the 1st inning like last season Gooch needs to be move back.

I think its really high time for BMAC to get a full season in as a starter. Duque is too fragile to start the whole season and having him as long relief would be awesome. If he's not happy with that role then thanks for bailing us out that one game but its time to take your services elsewhere.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I love Duque for his playoff contributions.  However, it would be a huge transaction if we're able to clear his salary.  He's making way too much money for the role he'll likely be in.

Yes he does make money but his conrtribution last year vs boston alone was worth his salary.

EDIT: If he contributes in the playoffs in 06 he will be well worth the money.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)
Yes he does make money but his conrtribution last year vs boston alone was worth his salary.

Yeah, he earned his salary LAST YEAR. However, that 5 million or so would sure be nice to have for this year on players at a position where we actually need help.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
You can't really count Gooch's numbers because he would take pitches just for Pods to take a look at the pitchers move and also let him steal. Then after pods does his thing then Gooch would sacrifice to move Pods over. Thats what made Gooch so good in that 2 spot.

If Uribe isn't working out or our offense isn't getting it done in the 1st inning like last season Gooch needs to be move back.

If we bring in Pierre then he bats second and Gooch bats 7th. Barring that then Gooch needs to bat second again. I dont think he's too worried about his role with the team now that he has that shiny ring on his finger.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
I think its really high time for BMAC to get a full season in as a starter.  Duque is too fragile to start the whole season and having him as long relief would be awesome.  If he's not happy with that role then thanks for bailing us out that one game but its time to take your services elsewhere.

^^^^^^^^

The BMac who pitched against Boston and Texas could win the Cy Young award next year, if he keeps that up for a whole season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
^^^^^^^^

The BMac who pitched against Boston and Texas could win the Cy Young award next year, if he keeps that up for a whole season.

Thats why he needs to get a full season of starts in. You can't develop skills like that on a consistent basis without experience. Duque is an awesome ace in the hole in long relief if the kid, or anyone else for that matter, gets in hot water early in a game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Yeah, he earned his salary LAST YEAR.  However, that 5 million or so would sure be nice to have for this year on players at a position where we actually need help.

I agree he does have a high salary for a spot starter/long reliever but I would much rather have him than anyone in our farm system to do it.