There's no relief for 'El Duque'

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
You can't really count Gooch's numbers because he would take pitches just for Pods to take a look at the pitchers move and also let him steal. Then after pods does his thing then Gooch would sacrifice to move Pods over. Thats what made Gooch so good in that 2 spot.

If Uribe isn't working out or our offense isn't getting it done in the 1st inning like last season Gooch needs to be move back.

I'm not saying Uribe would be a great choice, unless he reverts to the 04 version, but he'd be worth a trial I suppose... definitely in ST. Sac bunts don't count against average though, correct? Grounding out to the right side of the infield, yes, obviously. His taking pitches is exactly my point though, if he didn't have to take so many strikes, he wouldn't have to hit from behind in the count as much and could improve on his offensive numbers. Of course Uribe doesn't sound like the perfect answer, but maybe it would work out?

Mac does not belong in the pen (he could only be used as a long-middle man with our quality at the end) and it would be a crime to start him in AAA. Uribe as a 2-hitter is a joke. His value lies in batting 9th, and he is valuable there. Not 2nd though. That is a spot that requires consistency

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
I think with the 3-4-5 we have next year, we're betting off not bunting as much as we did last year.  Thome's not exactly the type of guy you can rely on to hit a sac fly.  Rather, you play for the 3 run homer with our 3-4 guys.

Id much rather have Pods and GOOCH getting on base consistently and setting the table for 3-4-5 rather than Pods getting on base and Uribe swinging at the ball as its being thrown back to the pitcher and making outs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Ozzie has no clue what's going on right now.

"McCarthy should be a starter," said Guillen, referring to the ideal situation for the young right-hander. "But I don't know exactly what we are going to do."

If Brandon McCarthy starts the season in the bullpen....I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

Uribe is the most dangerous two hole hitter we have. When ozzie sees that he is ready to asplode ( from the leg kick through the playoffs) he needs to move uribe into the two hole and move iguchi into a run producing spot in the line-up like he wants to... and everyone else. For all the people that like giving up outs ( yayaya for prodcutive outs) i truly think uribe could be as ''good'' as iguchi was last year if not better. He makes better contact... whether people want to admit it or not, and he is a better bunter ( not saying iguchi is bad... uribe is probally the best bunter on the team). One big problem is uribe is far and away the white sox worst base runner. They do not come much dumber than him in that regard.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
Seems like Ozzie's concern about BA's defense will drive KW to make a move for a CFer. But who? Its not like Pierre's defense is dominant... I really don't know what to expect going into 2006

Well Anderson is apposed to be good defensively and its funny how he praises Owens who is worse defensively..... Idonno if Ozzie even knows what he is talking about right now lol :bang

Whatevr though i trust KW and whatevr he decides to do.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
i expect that el duque is going to be on the market durring the winter meetings and this is our camps way of trying to up his value and convince teams hes healthy enough to start

I second that. The sox will go into ST with both guys -in case one of the sox SP's get hurt]. If everyone is healthy, and El Duque's arm stays on long enough for some dope team to trade for him--as some will, 'cause they have an injury---, good bye Duque. Neither he nor BMac are going to the bullpen.

I don't think they'll move any of their starting pitching depth. There's always the minors (in McCarthy's cas) or the DL (in El Duque's case).

The other 4 starters racked up a ton of innings in 2005, the White Sox will need all the starting pitching depth they can get. I also expect them to add a couple of journeymen starters for Charlotte for depth purposes.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
I second that. The sox will go into ST with both guys -in case one of the sox SP's get hurt]. If everyone is healthy, and El Duque's arm stays on long enough for some dope team to trade for him--as some will, 'cause they have an injury---, good bye Duque. Neither he nor BMac are going to the bullpen.

I agree, this is some great PR work. It is funny how this stuff pops up before the winter meetings, when this would seem to be more of an issue closer to ST.

If you think about it, the El Duque of 2005 is still a better starting pitcher than what a lot of teams have in their #3, 4, or 5 spots in the rotation; so this seems to be a clever way to advertise that he is available.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
If you think about it, the El Duque of 2005 is still a better starting pitcher than what a lot of teams have in their #3, 4, or 5 spots in the rotation;

Yessir.

Duque will be moved if at all possible, and I think it may happen well before ST. If we can move him along with Marte and maybe a prospect (probably in seperate deals), we could probably get something good, with the picthing market being so thin. I'm hoping we can move those two for a strong, non-head-case LH reliever and Mr. Mueller (not necessarily in the same deal), who I think works nicely for a 5th bench guy and insurance on Crede.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)

I don't think it's out of the question...in 2004 Uribe got more than 1/2 of his at bats in the 2 hole and he hit .285. Yeah, last season he was terrible with the bat most of the year...because he was flying open on balls and striking out or popping up a lot. Those things are correctable...if Greg Walker does his job (I was singing Walker's praises in 2004 for his work with Uribe. He needs to do some more of that. Or Balta will be very very angry).

Here's an interesting factoid...Juan Uribe only went to a 3-0 count 4 times in 2004.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
With the workload the top four pitched last year, my thoughts are that they think some guys will hit the DL.  Also Garland could be traded if he is not locked up long term.  I think the 6 starters will all be needed next year.  Especially with the stupid world thing.

Garland isn't going anywhere.

Here is an update on this topic from cnnsi.com:

Guillen also indicated that Cuba's Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will return as the fifth starter for the White Sox.

"El Duque has a year left on his contract with Chicago and hopefully in that year we can make the most of him because he's a winner and knows what he needs to do on the mound," said Guillen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/base...l.ap/index.html

I hope this is still some type of PR move to add interest in El Duque, because it will be a crime if B-Mac is not in next year's rotation.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I agree, this is some great PR work.  It is funny how this stuff pops up before the winter meetings, when this would seem to be more of an issue closer to ST.

If you think about it, the El Duque of 2005 is still a better starting pitcher than what a lot of teams have in their #3, 4, or 5 spots in the rotation; so this seems to be a clever way to advertise that he is available.

Many teams may have thought the sox would keep El Duque in the bullpen for 2006 based on his playoff success there this yr. Yet by coming out and saying he's a starter now, that lets teams know the sox have 6 SP's [with duque the most likely guy to be moved]. This allows other teams to approach the sox with offers, not the other way around. That way, the sox know what they can get for Duque