Canadian Election Thread

KipWellsFan

Huge Campaign Announcement

OTTAWA (CP) — A campaigning Prime Minister Paul Martin planned to venture into a violence-plagued area of Toronto on Thursday to announce a sweeping ban on handguns, The Canadian Press has learned.

Martin was scheduled to visit Toronto’s troubled Jane-Finch area to make a “safer communities announcement.” Liberal sources confirmed Wednesday the announcement includes a ban on handguns.

Handguns are already severely restricted in Canada and a handgun registry has been in force for more than 60 years.

But a rash of recent gun deaths in Toronto has prompted Martin to promise to crack down even more.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...8793972154'

more at link

not sure about the specifics yet :o

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
Huge Campaign Announcement

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...8793972154'

more at link

not sure about the specifics yet  :o

Yeah banning handguns is really going to reduce violence. I mean the criminals who make streets unsafe wouldn't THINK of violating the law now would they?

A campaigning Prime Minister Paul Martin planned to venture into a violence-plagued area of Toronto on Thursday to announce a sweeping ban on handguns, The Canadian Press has learned.

In the same week I am giving a speech on just that. Nice...

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Yeah banning handguns is really going to reduce violence.  I mean the criminals who make streets unsafe wouldn't THINK of violating the law now would they?

I think it's really a big political move frankly. The conservatives while stagnant in the polls have dominated the headlines with their policy announcements, but this will probably dwarf all the tax cuts which weren't all that bold.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Paul Martin and the Liberals are on their very last legs in Canada. A combination of a pitiful campaign mirred in complacency, confusion, and dissention with the launching of an RCMP investigation mid campaign may have doomed the Liberals from continuining their 13 year rule.

most recent polls

Con 36.2

Lib 30.4

NDP 17.9

Con 35

Lib 33

NDP 15

Con 32

Lib 32

NDP 17

Con 33

Lib 32

NDP 18

Lib 32

Con 30

NDP 18

This may seem like its really close but its been a total collapse for the Liberals and the Conservatives have ALL the momentum, and the road ahead seems even scarier for the Liberals. Stay tuned for a Canadian leader much more friendly to Bush and his neo-con support team. Reminder to self, there's still a lot of time left. Election date January 23 or 24, can't remember. F-sakes.

harper_stephen-02.jpg

Yah our probable next Prime Minister is goofy looking, scary eyes.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I have no idea what to do about this election. It's time for the Liberals to go but I don't think I can bring myself to vote for a any party that would have Harper as their leader and the NDP is just a non factor.

I feel ya. I'm usually a staunch liberal guy, but I'm really disillusioned about my Liberal support. I'd have a tought time thoughtfully explaining my support for the Liberal party but then again it would be impossible for me to find reason in voting NDP or Conservative. I find solace in reasoning that I'd rather struggle to find a means of expressing my support for the Liberals than to express my support by spouting party talking points. Generally, I think the Liberals have done a decent job running the country but I think the Libs need fresh leadership, which will likely come relatively soon after the election. Frank Mckenna for PM!

Not that my advice matters, but for you, I'd take a long look into the candidates for your riding, whichever one it may be.

Edited by KipWellsFan

It's all over but the crying and surprisingly enough Quebec is the major reason. Conservative support has tripled in the province according to a recent poll. Man, Canadian elections are wild.

Con 37

Lib 29

Con 40

Lib 27

Con 39

Lib 27

Con 38.6

Lib 27.2

The Conservatives very well could win a Majority election now. SO what does that mean you ask?

-Canada will be dropping out of Kyoto

-Canada will rejoin talks with the US on Missile Defence

-Canada will be revisiting the issue of same-sex marriage

-Canada will see a sharp decline in Separatist vote federally

-We won't be seeing that anti-American claim anymore, and Canadians won't exactly be in any place to be taking shots at George W. Bush

-Support from Canada in Iran, Syria, Iraq?

Also the current Prime Minister Paul Martin will probably resign as leader of the Liberal Party and the current favorite to replace him is none other than Frank McKenna, the current Canadian Ambassador to the US. When you're named the leader of the Liberal party there's a good chance you become the next Prime Minister.

Frank McKenna future leader?

mckenna.jpg

There's your lesson in Canada for the day.

The Conservative lead has narrowed somewhat, and the Liberals seem galvanized

Con 37

Lib 30.7

Con 35

Lib 29

Con 37

Lib 28

Those are all smaller leads in corresponding polls from my last update

Edited by KipWellsFan