Fort Worth officer killed..

Steff

Yesterday, Fort Worth police officer Henry "Hank" Nava, 39, died from a gunshot wound to the head he received as he and other officers were trying to serve a warrant for a probation violation on Tuesday. He leaves behind a wife and two children, ages 9 and 4.

Please remember Officer Nava's family in your thoughts and prayers, and also the thousands of other police officers across our country who strive to keep our cities and streets safe. As Fort Worth police chief Mendoza said, "too often we take them for granted."

:pray

What is a testimony to our society is being a police officer isn't on the list of top 10 most dangerous professions. For the most past we do have a respect for law enforcement. It's tragic in that it is so uncommon.

9-year-old daughter of Fort Worth police officer Hank Nava wrote to Steven Heard, the man accused of killing her father. The family gave the letter to NBC 5. It is reproduced here as written.

Dear, Mr. Heard,

I want you to know that you would not know how sad we are in this hospital even if it shot you in the head. And I hope you have a long cruel death but actually I know you will have a long cruel death. And you might have not had to get death if you just surrender. And your took my daddy away from me, my brother and mom and are loving friends, family, and loyal police officers. But I know he’s going to be with GOD. And he really hurt my cousins heart because they loved my dad like there own dad. And I know you are going down and my dad is going to Heaven. And I wanted you to know that I know GOD has won victory and he has my daddy right now with him.

Sincerly

Kayleigh Nava

If this doesn't touch you, you have no heart.

The guy that shot the police officer said from his jail cell that he thought he was being robbed. Personally, I think it's a bald face lie - he knew he had warrants, and these guys serve them every single day and know how to make their presence known.

I didn't think that letter was appropriate. I don't know, I'm not saying writing the letter is bad, but sending it to the news is. I know forgiveness is probably the farthest thing from their hearts, but that's what is needed to move on from something like this. There's anger in that letter, albeit raw 9-year old anger. But what can you do? she jus lost her daddy tragically. I just would have kept it private. Let the girl vent privately.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
I thought the same thing - but also - the letter came from a 9 year old who's hurting pretty bad.  How the media got it, I don't know...

The family gave the letter to NBC 5. It is reproduced here as written.

what purpose did it serve? writing it to vent emotions and cope with the loss is totally understandable, but sending to the media?

I mean, not to take this to a theological level, but there are a lot of prisoners who "find God" in prison. Say he finds salvation in Jesus (the girl seems to be professing that believe on one level or another) by that same account, they'll "be in heaven" together one day. explain that one to her one day...

the letter should have been kept private

The purpose it served is that someone got taken out of society that shouldn't have. And by all accounts, it was totally needless to happen. The family has been out in the open expressing their beliefs in the situation. The wife has been out in public asking for simple support. The daughter really doesn't have an understanding of what's just happened.

Unfortunately, this will go away, just like every other story like this.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
the letter should have been kept private

Hindsight, perhaps.

Sadly the bigger problem I have is that this little girl NEVER should have had these thoughts in her head that afforded her to write such a letter.

Soxy.. I'm with you.. I hate people. :angry:

He was 39, his daughter's name is Kayleigh.

I'm 35, my daughter's name is Kayleigh.

The man was a fan of Marillion I'm betting. Nobody my age uses that spelling and isn't a fan. I don't know why I just felt an odd connection with him. I saw that spelling and it welled up the tears.

Sad...very...very sad. Hopefully the little girl can cope.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
He was 39, his daughter's name is Kayleigh.

I'm 35, my daughter's name is Kayleigh.

The man was a fan of Marillion I'm betting. Nobody my age uses that spelling and isn't a fan. I don't know why I just felt an odd connection with him. I saw that spelling and it welled up the tears.

Sad...very...very sad. Hopefully the little girl can cope.

Wow.. eerie coincidence. :unsure:

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
didn't really 'touch' me

guess i'm heartless

It did me, because this is a little nine year old girl who is really, really angry and hurt. And you can just see it in the words.

Plus, it's on the news all over here being a local story. So I guess that's why.

Heartless bastard. :lol:

All the prayers for the family and the city of Fort Worth, It was just a 1 1/2 ago that Birmingham lost 3 officers in a senseless shooting where the suspects blamed the shooting on the GTA Vice City game. At least there will be justice as both Kerry Spencer and Nathaniel Woods have both been sentenced to death row.

Thinking of the families

:pray

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Hindsight, perhaps.

Sadly the bigger problem I have is that this little girl NEVER should have had these thoughts in her head that afforded her to write such a letter.

Soxy.. I'm with you.. I hate people.  :angry:

Anger is a natural response to a tragic loss like she has suffered.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 05:53 AM)
Anger is a natural response to a tragic loss like she has suffered.

but teaching the little girl the proper way to cope with that anger is the important thing. Nothing positive came from the girl's letter being published.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)
but teaching the little girl the proper way to cope with that anger is the important thing. Nothing positive came from the girl's letter being published.

It was expressed that the girl never should have had the thoughts in her head. That was the only point to which my post was relevent.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)

PA... is... being... sensitive?

I didn't know it was possible.

Even more scarily, we agree.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
PA... is... being... sensitive?

I didn't know it was possible.

Even more scarily, we agree.

:ph34r:

HA! I'm aghast!

I can be very sensitive to lots of things.

My feelings, my hunger, my car breaking down, my job sucking, etc.

If I can agree with Stef and Rex Kickass in one thread......the end is nigh.

What I was thinking as I wrote this was how we do share this angst everyday, but in a different way.

If she were a poet, a song writer, a painter, or worked in another media, we see this pain laid out for us in song and story, poems and paintings. So maybe this should be published. Maybe it ads to the range of human emotions that touch us each day.

It pains me to think of a 9-year old who has such evil shooting into her live. I hurts to thing of her with such hate. I pray it is temporary and doesn't eat away the innocence of youth.

Reporters and editors have a tough job in this. Let's take the situation that the editor agrees with y'all that the letter should not be published, and doesn't. They look like they were "protecting" the murdering SOB. Publish and they look like they are exploiting a 9-year olds pain and suffering.