Josh's Media Thread

White Sox Josh

Sorry if this was already posted.

Moronissey

]Adoration never came for Thomas despite numbers

Rick Morrissey

In the wake of the news

December 2, 2005

Frank Thomas is the greatest player in White Sox history. He also is (cq) the biggest pain in the patoot, non-Black Sox Division, in franchise history.

That's why many of us are struggling to find a way to gracefully and meaningfully say goodbye to him. Sometimes it feels as if we're saying goodbye to a possible Hall of Famer, and sometimes it feels as if we're saying goodbye to a bad case of prickly heat.

The Big Hurt's departure is not big news, in that he likely wasn't going to be much of a factor for the team in 2006. So when the Sox traded for Jim Thome last week and re-signed Paul Konerko on Wednesday, Thomas was left not as an afterthought, but as a tired building that needed to make way for a new condo development.

He wasn't fully appreciated when he was here (much of it his fault), and now it seems as if we're trying to play catch-up. What is that? Repressed guilt?

There wasn't this much outpouring of feeling for Thomas the last two times he broke his foot, when it was clear his career was winding down.

The Sox nodded his way by introducing him with the team during the World Series. But he was not a major theme of their playoff run.

If this had been the Yankees and the player were, say, an aging, injured Derek Jeter, we would have been inundated with weepy tributes and televised visits to his childhood home, complete, I'm guessing, with shots of a tiny crutch by his bed.

With Thomas, it was a tip of the cap and would you move to the left, Frank, you're blocking Juan Uribe from the cameras?

He was not a beloved figure in this town, and that's a shame. With the end approaching after 15 years here, there's a scramble to let him know he was treasured.

Nothing wrong with that. But let's be clear on what we did treasure: a .307 career batting average, 448 home runs and two American League Most Valuable Player awards. What we didn't treasure: his obsession with his numbers, his preoccupation with self and his almost innate tendency to step in controversy.

It wasn't coincidence in April when Sox manager Ozzie Guillen sent out a warning shot as Thomas was returning to the team from his first ankle injury.

"It's good to have him here because now he sees a winning attitude, because he was part of the bad attitude," Guillen said. "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude."

Upon hearing that, Thomas didn't know whether to act like an innocent bystander or a pulled-over speeder.

He tried to remake his image so many times you figured he would show up one day with scaffolding attached to him. During a spring-training interview in 2002, he told me about a new Frank, a happier Frank. This new Frank wore a wax-museum smile. By the end of the season the new Frank was upset about a lack of at-bats and refused to sit on the Sox's bench.

There was rarely any anger in Thomas, unlike many other pro athletes. There was petulance, borne of a hurt that came from feeling underappreciated both contractually and historically. Hawk Harrelson or whoever gave him his nickname, the Big Hurt, got it right, though unintentionally. He hurt baseballs, pitchers and opposing teams, but he seemed to have a hole in his heart too.

From 1991-97, Thomas was as dominant a baseball player as they come. You needed an inhaler after watching him hit. Those seven years, combined with two other big years afterward, make him worthy of entry into Cooperstown. But voters will tell you he's no lock, even if his numbers seem to have been fueled by talent and not pharmaceuticals.

And now he leaves. The Sox aren't making this decision so much as Thomas' left foot is. Or so much as his age (37) is. Or so much as his total of 108 games the last two seasons is.

He won't disappear without a fight. He will try to hook on somewhere as a designated hitter at a relatively low salary. He will want 500 home runs. He will want the affirmation of a call from the Hall. He's no different from a lot of players that way.

He was different in terms of his ability to hit a baseball and his inability to mask his emotions when things weren't going his way. He was a child playing a child's game, with all the joy and poutiness that went along with it.

For the sake of full appreciation, the best thing that can happen to him and us is time apart from each other.

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune

This jackass is so full of s***. How did he get a job? I'm sorry but this s*** wasn't nearly as bad when Sosa left. They at least had "great" memories about him. This just disrespects Frank. To say that Frank is selfish is bulls***. He played with a ton of pain this year because he wanted to win with the Sox. Everybody has their faults. Frank is to honest sometimes but the media makes goes overboard and the stuff he says. This joke never takes in to consideration that Frank unlike some jackasses never took Steroids. He did it the clean way. My mom could write a better article about baseball and she doesn't even know almost anything about the sport. How can the media hate a player like this so much? Do you know the reason Frank wanted to become a Baseball player? Because his sister died of Leukemia. He said in his biography that he playing baseball would let him raise enough money to be able to cure Leukemia. He donates a ton of money to charities that try to Leukemia. Why isn't that talked about here? Edited by southsider2k5

While I don't completely disagree with some of the things he said in this column, I think Morrissey seriously underestimates the way Sox fans feel about Frank, and I also didn't see the point in rehashing some mistakes Frank made years ago.

Its going to be tough for most Sox fans to see him go. I was 9 years old when he came into the league and he's been my favorite player ever since. While I think he hasn't always handled the media well, and has sometimes been a little oversensative to criticism, in the end, the fans never turned on him...and he always seemed to appreciate the fans.

So, in Morrissey's perspective, I guess I can see why him and other members won't be shedding many tears over Frank's departure. There were times where Frank was treated unfairly by the media, and there were times where Frank brought it on himself. But for the Sox and their fans, he was and will continue to be a favorite and there is nothing but admiration. And he'll know that during his first at-bat at the Cell (unfortunately as an opposing player) in '06.

(and Josh, I think your forgetting that the stuff written about Sosa after his departure weren't exactly rosey.)

it doesn't make you bother you at all that this s*** is going on?

No Josh, it doesn't.

Here's why:

Chicago media columnists are paid to write their opinions and generate a reaction. After you've read columns like this for 35+ years you'll clearly understand that columns like this one are a mix of:

Truth, Perception, Innuendo, Personal Bias, 2nd Hand Stories, Sensationalism, Facts, and Lies.

Draw your own conclusions.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
it doesn't make you bother you at all that this s*** is going on?

Does it bother me? Yeah, i guess. Can I do anything about it? Not really, unless I can manage to get millions of people to boycott the Tribune. Everyone has their opinion. And sometimes you have to think that these sports reporters do know these athletes a little better than most, and have experienced some of the arrogance and egotism that we dont see. Thats not to say that Thomas has been a complete asshole, and it doesnt discount it either. They are just written opinions. I have to stop myself when i read Mariotti because of the s*** he says, but some of it is right no matter how much it pisses me off.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
While I don't completely disagree with some of the things he said in this column, I think Morrissey seriously underestimates the way Sox fans feel about Frank, and I also didn't see the point in rehashing some mistakes Frank made years ago.

Its going to be tough for most Sox fans to see him go.  I was 9 years old when he came into the league and he's been my favorite player ever since.  While I think he hasn't always handled the media well, and has sometimes been a little oversensative to criticism, in the end, the fans never turned on him...and he always seemed to appreciate the fans.

So, in Morrissey's perspective, I guess I can see why him and other members won't be shedding many tears over Frank's departure.  There were times where Frank was treated unfairly by the media, and there were times where Frank brought it on himself.  But for the Sox and their fans, he was and will continue to be a favorite and there is nothing but admiration.  And he'll know that during his first at-bat at the Cell (unfortunately as an opposing player) in '06.

(and Josh, I think your forgetting that the stuff written about Sosa after his departure weren't exactly rosey.)

yes but they did have some articles about "good" memories.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)

Its going to be tough for most Sox fans to see him go.  I was 9 years old when he came into the league and he's been my favorite player ever since.  While I think he hasn't always handled the media well, and has sometimes been a little oversensative to criticism, in the end, the fans never turned on him...and he always seemed to appreciate the fans.

So, in Morrissey's perspective, I guess I can see why him and other members won't be shedding many tears over Frank's departure.  There were times where Frank was treated unfairly by the media, and there were times where Frank brought it on himself.  But for the Sox and their fans, he was and will continue to be a favorite and there is nothing but admiration.  And he'll know that during his first at-bat at the Cell (unfortunately as an opposing player) in '06.

Well put. While you may have a personal bias supporting Frank, you gave an objective opinion.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)

MoronisseyThis jackass is so full of s***.  How did he get a job?  I'm sorry but this s*** wasn't nearly as bad when Sosa left.  They at least had "great" memories about him.  This just disrespects Frank.  To say that Frank is selfish is bulls***.  He played with a ton of pain this year because he wanted to win with the Sox.  Everybody has their faults.  Frank is to honest sometimes but the media makes  goes overboard and the stuff he says.  This joke never takes in to consideration that Frank unlike some jackasses never took Steroids.  He did it the clean way. My mom could write a better article about baseball and she doesn't even know almost anything about the sport.  How can the media hate a player like this so much?  Do you know the reason Frank wanted to become a Baseball player?  Because his sister died of Leukemia.  He said in his biography that he playing baseball would let him raise enough money to be able to cure Leukemia.  He donates a ton of money to charities that try to Leukemia.  Why isn't that talked about here?

I agree this jackass is full of s***. No player on the Sox roster has ever gotten a standing ovation like Frank Thomas. He is one of the greatest hitters in our franchises history. For this asshole to say that we got rid of him like a broken down building to make way fir new condos is not just disrespectful to the Big Hurt, but the entire White Sox Organization and the Die Hard fans. I hold Frank Thomas with the most outmost respect. I respect him for staying with the White Sox organization his whole entire career when he could have left for more money. I pride in the fact that he hasn't taken steroids and remains one of the top hitters in the game today. Frank is a people person and when I met him during spring training at Electric Park, he was very open and willing to take time to talk to the fans. If its anyone who doesn't show respect to Frank Thomas its the media.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I agree this jackass is full of s***.  No player on the Sox roster has ever gotten a standing ovation like Frank Thomas.  He is one of the greatest hitters in our franchises history.  For this asshole to say that we got rid of him like a broken down building to make way fir new condos is not just disrespectful to the Big Hurt, but the entire White Sox Organization and the Die Hard fans.  I hold Frank Thomas with the most outmost respect.  I respect him for staying with the White Sox organization his whole entire career when he could have left for more money. I pride in the fact that he hasn't taken steroids and remains one of the top hitters in the game today.  Frank is a people person and when I met him during spring training at Electric Park, he was very open and willing to take time to talk to the fans.  If its anyone who doesn't show respect to Frank Thomas its the media.

to say Juan Uribe is better than Frank and that we respect him more. I am a Juan Uribe fan but come on. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I agree this jackass is full of s***.  No player on the Sox roster has ever gotten a standing ovation like Frank Thomas.  He is one of the greatest hitters in our franchises history.  For this asshole to say that we got rid of him like a broken down building to make way fir new condos is not just disrespectful to the Big Hurt, but the entire White Sox Organization and the Die Hard fans.  I hold Frank Thomas with the most outmost respect.  I respect him for staying with the White Sox organization his whole entire career when he could have left for more money. I pride in the fact that he hasn't taken steroids and remains one of the top hitters in the game today.  Frank is a people person and when I met him during spring training at Electric Park, he was very open and willing to take time to talk to the fans.  If its anyone who doesn't show respect to Frank Thomas its the media.

your damn right about him being a people person. When he was going through the divorce in 98 I met him a couple of times. Once was outside the stadium after the game and second was at a kids day. He couldn't of been nicer. He made sure he signed for all the kids including kids on Kids Day who got cut out of the line.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
That was never implied.  Once again, you're WAY the f*** out there on Pluto.

read the f***ing column. Oh wait you didn't.
With Thomas, it was a tip of the cap and would you move to the left, Frank, you're blocking Juan Uribe from the cameras?

He was not a beloved figure in this town, and that's a shame. With the end approaching after 15 years here, there's a scramble to let him know he was treasured.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)

MoronisseyThis jackass is so full of s***.  How did he get a job?  I'm sorry but this s*** wasn't nearly as bad when Sosa left.  They at least had "great" memories about him.  This just disrespects Frank.  To say that Frank is selfish is bulls***.  He played with a ton of pain this year because he wanted to win with the Sox.  Everybody has their faults.  Frank is to honest sometimes but the media makes  goes overboard and the stuff he says.  This joke never takes in to consideration that Frank unlike some jackasses never took Steroids. He did it the clean way. My mom could write a better article about baseball and she doesn't even know almost anything about the sport.  How can the media hate a player like this so much?  Do you know the reason Frank wanted to become a Baseball player?  Because his sister died of Leukemia.  He said in his biography that he playing baseball would let him raise enough money to be able to cure Leukemia.  He donates a ton of money to charities that try to Leukemia.  Why isn't that talked about here?

From the article:

From 1991-97, Thomas was as dominant a baseball player as they come. You needed an inhaler after watching him hit. Those seven years, combined with two other big years afterward, make him worthy of entry into Cooperstown. But voters will tell you he's no lock, even if his numbers seem to have been fueled by talent and not pharmaceuticals.

Now, as you asked hammerhead, Did you even read the article?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
Uh huh, and when was it implied that Juan Uribe commands more respect than Frank?  Morrisey just threw that name out there. 

I'm probably just wasting my time anyway.

Affirmative.