Truely amazing

Soxplosion

Aron Ralstons story

Im sure most people here have heard about this already, but I just wanted to say this is truely amazing. This guy is tough! I mean, how could you keep going thru the pain when you knew it was you causing the pain and that you could end it any time you wanted to. And the guy used a DULL pocket knife. Geez, it would be hard enough to due it in a couple of swift slices with a razor sharp knife, but this guy took a couple of days with dull one. That would be torture. Then he broke his bone so he could finish the amputation. Can you imagine breaking your own bones? On purpose? Then he stretched the last bit of skin so his arm would finally tear off. Whoa, the other day I scraped the skin off my arm and had to pick dead mangled skin out of the bloody mess, this guy had to tear skin off so his arm would be gone forever. And on top off that, he hiked back to civilization about 6 miles away (just an estimate) with a freakin stump! This guy is amazing. Im sure weve got some toughies on this board (and Ill bet youre pretty tough) but if you think you can even match this guy youre lyin thru ya teeth...

He's an idiot for going out alone and not telling anyone where he went and how long he expected to be gone.  Hiking 101.

Youre just pissed doub cuz hes tough as steel, and he makes you look like pussy. Some people here really piss me off...

Youre just pissed doub cuz hes tough as steel, and he makes you look like  pussy. Some people here really piss me off...

I'd rather be a pussy with two arms than a moron "of steel" with one.

And no, roman, despite what you I'm sure you like to believe, I'm not "pissed" or "jealous" of One-Arm McGee.

Does 'unlucky' figure into the equation?  Anywhere?

I would consider him unlucky had he taken proper safety precautions; even the most basic of which to go with someone else and let someone back at home know where you're going and how long you expect to be gone. Had he done this and still had to break his arm because his partner got eaten by a bear and his friend who he told where he was going got hit by a car, then I would say, well that's just unlucky. Precautions can really sway luck to or against you.

Does 'unlucky' figure into the equation?  Anywhere?

I would consider him unlucky had he taken proper safety precautions; even the most basic of which to go with someone else and let someone back at home know where you're going and how long you expect to be gone. Had he done this and still had to break his arm because his partner got eaten by a bear and his friend who he told where he was going got hit by a car, then I would say, well that's just unlucky. Precautions can really sway luck to or against you.

My father and his 3 friends went rock climbing when they were my age. As usual, they took all the luck-swaying precautions...but because of the faulty design of the key piece of equipment, there was an accident, with them falling from 140+ feet height....His buddies died while my father walked away with a minor chronic limp. I suppose he was very "smart" about it, what with landing just the right way in the right place and all of that...

I presume 100's of hikers go alone each year and 99.9% of them come back with both arms intact. He didn't. Plain and simple.

You bet unluckey figuers in, an experiamced climber who made a mistake by not telling others his whereabouts and was out of resuue vision and had 3 days to think about cutting off his arm. To callisly write that off as tough,stupid and idiotic is a shame,glad he isn't as bitter as some.