ESPNews Reports

nitetrain8601

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Good.  Something to slow the improvement of the Cards down.  The Cubs should be happy...K Wood and AJ Burnett could compete for "Most games spent on the DL" in that division.

Tommy John award for simulated game pitchers. I like it. Beckett will win it in the AL and Burnett and Wood would battle it out for the NL crown.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Tommy John award for simulated game pitchers. I like it. Beckett will win it in the AL and Burnett and Wood would battle it out for the NL crown.

I know Prior would also likely compete for the NL crown, but ugh, there have to be more pitchers who would compete for the AL Crown than that. The numbers just say there have to be. Pavano, Mussina, and Wright with the Yankees? Do the Yankees even pitch simulated games? I haven't a clue, the first time I ever heard the term "Simulated game" was with the 98-season-ers.

Wow, if he's just settling for a 4 year deal. IIRC they offered him 40M over those 4 years. He definitely could have gotten more or a longer deal.

Looks like the Blue Jays may have to move Batista into the rotation now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Wow I didnt even know the Cardinals were interested in him.... Although he has nasty stuff I dont even consider him an upgrade over Morris

I do. Dave Duncan can probably get him pitching a bit better, plus Morris's ERA this season was 4.11 and it was 4.72 in 2004.

Will be interesting to see how Burnett pitches away from Pro Player though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)

Beckett is the best pitcher of those three. He has won his 15 games and if he can stay healthy will be very good for the Red Sawx. I wouldn't put Beckett with those 2 right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I know Prior would also likely compete for the NL crown, but ugh, there have to be more pitchers who would compete for the AL Crown than that.  The numbers just say there have to be.  Pavano, Mussina, and Wright with the Yankees? Do the Yankees even pitch simulated games?  I haven't a clue, the first time I ever heard the term "Simulated game" was with the 98-season-ers.

what about simulated wins. I know Politte was making a run of that in the playoffs with him getting no work in the first 2 rounds.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
Beckett is the best pitcher of those three.  He has won his 15 games and if he can stay healthy will be very good for the Red Sawx.  I wouldn't put Beckett with those 2 right now.

What? Thats laughable. Beckett won 15 games once, last year. Other than that he never got over 9. All three of those pitchers belong in the same boat. All potential, minimal production, plenty of time on the DL.

And you can take your statement about being healthy and apply it to all three also: "if (Kerry Wood, AJ Burnett, Josh Beckett) can stay healthy will be very good for the (Cubs, Cardinals, Red Sawx).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
I do. Dave Duncan can probably get him pitching a bit better, plus Morris's ERA this season was 4.11 and it was 4.72 in 2004.

Will be interesting to see how Burnett pitches away from Pro Player though.

He is an upgrade, imo.

Looks like the 5th year is needed now, will be interesting to see if the Cards do this, or else he's probably headed to Toronto;

Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that A.J. Burnett will sign with the Cardinals if the club adds another year to a four-year, $40 million proposal.

The Cards knew going in that Burnett wanted that fifth year. If they can really get him for $50 million, they might as well do it. Dec. 4 - 2:17 am et

And on top of that, looks like the Reds are going to deal one of their OF's possibly.

The Cardinals and Reds have had discussions involving outfielders Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena.

Cards GM Walt Jocketty might be willing to part with Jason Marquis, but it's unclear how much interest the Reds would have in a pitcher one year away from free agency. If the Reds want to go younger, they could target Brad Thompson and Adam Wainwright. Anthony Reyes is likely unavailable. Dec. 4 - 2:15 am et

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
The Reds should trade for and extend Marquis. They could use a GB pitcher in that park

Well hopefully for their sake they've learnt about the value of Groundball Pitchers from the Flyball Tendencies of one Eric Milton.

ESPN's Peter Gammons says A.J. Burnett will likely go to the Blue Jays for five years and $55 million.

Reportedly, Burnett's agent wants to talk with the Cardinals one more time. However, the deal with Toronto could be agreed to within the next hour. It sounds as though the Cardinals just won't guarantee him the fifth year.

Talk about a thin market for pitching. This guy's below .500 for his career. :headshake

Also, Trevor Hoffman may be going to the Tribe:

The Indians and Trevor Hoffman could be nearing an agreement on a three-year deal worth $21 million-$24 million, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.