David Wells

DBAHO

With the Padres;

The Padres are reportedly willing to trade Mark Loretta to the Red Sox for David Wells and Doug Mirabelli.

If only it was the 2004 or even the 2003 version of Loretta that the Red Sox would be assured of getting. As badly as Tim Wakefield pitched when Mirabelli was hurt last season, the Red Sox would taking quite a chance by parting with their backup catcher. If the Padres were willing to include either Dave Roberts or Akinori Otsuka along with Loretta, it'd be worth doing. Dec. 3 - 3:29 am et

Varitek cant catch Wakefield to save his life. In fact, I think Mirabelli is the only catcher that can halfway catch Tim Wakefield at all. If the Red Sox get Loretta and Dave Roberts out of the deal, they will have a faster team next year.

Boston is counting on Josh Beckett to be a Cy Young, start to finish. And they are counting on Curt Schilling being 100 percent and back to normal. and they are counting on Foulke to return and be dominant, and Arroyo to regain his form, and Wakefield to be able to pitch effectively to Varitek. Seems like alot of dominoes have to fall in place for the Boston Red Sox to be successful.

In terms of the Pads, they are quietly putting together a pretty good off-season. I think Loretta is a solid ballplayer and he'll fit in well with the Pads but Wells is a solid pitcher and he's better than that in San Diego, imo (pitching at Petco). I should mention that Loretta for Wells isn't going to happen. The Pads won't deal him.

He'll help the staff, but more importantly they are right now rumored to be one of the front-runners for Bengie Molina (surprising considering they have the guy they got in the Kotsay trade..Hernandez).

Plus, there is no doubt Mike Cameron upgarded the team defense in CF and they have Giles back. They still need to find a taker for Ryan Klesko and my guess is they will be looking for one more bat.

The only move I didn't like was the one where Vinny Castilla became there 3rd baseman.