GM Meeting

TheKillerB's

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotts.

[/quote Not this year but when Garland struggles he gets a little frustrated now that we struggled with him and he's now turned the corner but to reiterate not facing the best opposing pitchers in the #5 spot I think it realistic to say we could trade him while his value is high and I think that Cotts can fill in and excel. THe question is can we get a quality lefty reliever to replace him in the pen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Most definitely.  I think it's worth the shot.  Seriously, what's there to lose?  If it doesn't work out, he can still be a strong lefty reliever out of the pen.  Considering that he holds the opposition to a low batting average, it's just a matter of him being able to limit his pitch count and have control on a consistent basis.

Wasn't Cotts dominating in the pen before the decided to try and start him? Then after he failed in the rotation, he sucked in the pen. I seem to remember that being the case. Cotts is too valuable in the pen to screw with. If Jon is traded, El Duque and BMac round out the rotation anyways.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Wasn't Cotts dominating in the pen before the decided to try and start him?  Then after he failed in the rotation, he sucked in the pen.  I seem to remember that being the case.  Cotts is too valuable in the pen to screw with.  If Jon is traded, El Duque and BMac round out the rotation anyways.

I'd rather have Cotts start than Duque. Cotts has a much better chance to not be mediocre, which is basically what Duque will be as a starting pitcher.

I think if Duque was entrusted with the 5th spot, we'd have to set up some kind of platoon situation. Duque was strong for the first couple months of the season. Maybe we could get another aging starter and use him in long relief for a month, then they could trade positions with Duque going to long relief to get a rest? Moyer and Kenny Rogers are two aging starters who could give good half seasons although they'd both want the starting job and I'm not sure how well Rogers would go over in the clubhouse. Ted Lilly will probably get non-tendered now that the Jays have Burnett. I seem to recall some interest on this board about him. Tony Armas Jr. had been mentioned recently. Could we steal Scott Elarton? I dunno, something would have to be done for insurance at the fifth spot because you KNOW Duque won't make it through the entire season.

He's had a whole..what 3 starts?  Neal needs another pitch to add to his repertoire and he'd have a shot to be one heck of a starter imo.  That being said, he's way to valuable to take him out of the bullpen, he's to damn good there to move him around.

Sorry didn't finish my point boss came in.. But yes he would have to learn another pitch something he has failed to do since his time here.

The Phils reportedly have asked the Dodgers about the availability of Brad Penny or Derek Lowe for Abreu. The Phils would want to tack on David Bell in that situation. They asked the Cubs for Prior, but I think they knew what that response was going to be. Garland might be around the right price. I don't think the Sox would stretch their payroll that far though. Is Garland+Anderson > or

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Speaking of rumors, you guys should read Bob Nightengale from USA Today.  All of the trade rumors in his articles seem to come true.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2005-12...ings-buzz_x.htm

Nothing new. We have heard all of that before.

Just let Garland pitch for us this year, and he can walk at the end of the season. If he knows he's pitching for a bigger contract, he'll try harder and most likely be better. After he walks, we can worry about filling his vacancy with one of a bunch of other FA's that will be available next offseason or through a trade or call-up.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
jon had a good yr last yr, but remember he got 18 wins cause he was the 5th starter facing other teams 5th starters, if he had to face santana,bonderman, etc on a more regular basis, he wouldnt have had such a good season...jon is no better than a number 3 starter on most clubs, he only becomes a #1 or #2 on the royals,drays,pirates, etc....just my opinion

Thanks, Harold Reynolds.

Here's some facts.

In the regular season, according to my unofficial log of box scores, Garland last year faced these starting pitchers:

Westbrook, Johnson (Det), Elarton, Baker (Minn), Colon, Bonderman, Benoit, Towers, Harris (Seattle), Wakefield, Mussina, Silva, Radke, Piniero, Ledezma, Zito, Ledezma again, Lilly, Chen, Astacio, Santana of L.A., Park, Davis of Cleve., Williams of S.D., Ortiz, Greinke, Prior, Saarloos, Saarloos again, Elarton, Robertson of Det, Wakefield, Hernandez.

Doesn't exactly seem like the cream of the crop.