GM Meeting

TheKillerB's

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
Not going to happen. Garland will make a very reasonable amount this yr, through arb. What happens to Jon in 2007 depends on his performance this yr. If he does well [another year like 2005] I expect he'll be signed to a long term deal, along the lines of what other young, dependable SP's are making [Think Carl Pavano money--4 yr, $40 mill] It might make him the highest paid SP on the team. But the market is the market

So the sox might have to overpay, like they did with PK. But paying for a workhorse who can throw 200 innings every yr is worth it. If Jon goes back to his 2004 numbers, all bets are off.

I don't know that you sign Garland to a 4 year $40million dollar deal. Depending how McCarthy fairs this year, there may be room for another rookie starter to make a debut. If Garland tests the FA market, which I suspect he will, I'm pretty sure he'll walk. We'll get picks for him.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
What makes you think Barry Zito is going to accept a 3 yr 20 million dollar a year deal?  Garland isn't going anywhere anyways, moot point.

Zito would be a great pickup, but I don't see KW trading away Garland. Although some funny things have happened before and will again.

As much as I want to try and deal Garland.. No thanks to Zito, IMO he is going to the NL.. besides..remember the last time we traded for a pitcher with the A's..That worked out well huh?

Garland should be dealt at the winter meetings, as stated in a thread I started give garland our best offer, if he says no then bye bye.. His stock is very high right now sell now.

BTW, I love Garland..

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
As much as I want to try and deal Garland.. No thanks to Zito, IMO he is going to the NL.. besides..remember the last time we traded for a pitcher with the A's..That worked out well huh?

Garland should be dealt at the winter meetings, as stated in a thread I started give garland our best offer, if he says no then bye bye.. His stock is very high right now sell now.

BTW, I love Garland..

I assume you are referring to Koch, but we ended up with Cotts as well, which turned out pretty well. We just had to wait a little.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)

BTW, I love Garland..

i am for trading anyone, however i think jon is more valuable playing for us and then let him walk if we can't sign him. we gets some compensation.

the playoff and getting there is and should be a piroity and jon did help us get there. i am concerns as i have always been concern with jose and orlando performance.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't know that you sign Garland to a 4 year $40million dollar deal. Depending how McCarthy fairs this year, there may be room for another rookie starter to make a debut. If Garland tests the FA market, which I suspect he will, I'm pretty sure he'll walk. We'll get picks for him.

Whether the sox resign Jon or Contreras, who knows. But Jon will likely get a 4 yr, $40 mill offer from some team if he repeats his 2005 yr. Yet the sox can't have both Jose and Jon go after 2006

I didn't think this needed it's own topic...

KW was just on Silvy and Carmen. One of the questions they asked him was about Jon and the possbilities of him signing a long term contract. KW definitely did not sound optimistic about anything getting done this offseason and insinuated that if anything gets done, it would be after next offseason. He also stipulated that if prices for SP continued to go up, like this season, Jon would likely test the market and possibly be out of the Sox' range. He also said, "it might not get that far." Silvy asked him what that meant, and he covered his tracks... but it still might mean something. KW said that if they cannot resign Jon, there are internal options that would likely replace him, possibly from the bullpen. Interesting to think about.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
I didn't think this needed it's own topic...

KW was just on Silvy and Carmen.  One of the questions they asked him was about Jon and the possbilities of him signing a long term contract.  KW definitely did not sound optimistic about anything getting done this offseason and insinuated that if anything gets done, it would be after next offseason.  He also stipulated that if prices for SP continued to go up, like this season, Jon would likely test the market and possibly be out of the Sox' range.  He also said, "it might not get that far."  Silvy asked him what that meant, and he covered his tracks... but it still might mean something.  KW said that if they cannot resign Jon, there are internal options that would likely replace him, possibly from the bullpen. Interesting to think about.

Cotts.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Jon would likely test the market and possibly be out of the Sox' range.  He also said, "it might not get that far."  Silvy asked him what that meant, and he covered his tracks... but it still might mean something. 

Reading between the lines, he is telling JG to sign a reasonable extension with the Sox or he will be traded THIS offseason while KW can still get something in return for him. Trading Jon and Marte should bring back somebody of value that has more years left on the contract.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Cotts.

Most definitely. I think it's worth the shot. Seriously, what's there to lose? If it doesn't work out, he can still be a strong lefty reliever out of the pen. Considering that he holds the opposition to a low batting average, it's just a matter of him being able to limit his pitch count and have control on a consistent basis.

MB, FG, JC, BMac, and Duke. Cotts would be an option for 6th starter. I think it would be better to keep Cotts as a setup man and acquire a pitcher that could fill the long relief roll and be proven enough to step into the rotation in case of injury of fatigue.

If JG was traded, I still feel the Sox are in good shape to defend the title. I'd rather give big bucks to MB than JG.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
If JG was traded, I still feel the Sox are in good shape to defend the title.  I'd rather give big bucks to MB than JG.

I don't think it's out of the question that we could afford to keep both of them, if we continue to be smart in the way we make moves, we keep competing (so that our attendence continues to grow), and inflation keeps happening of other revenue sources (Merch, TV, etc.) Also, we are probably going to continue to get younger at several positions (notably the Outfield), which will give us potential trade pieces in Podsednik and possibly Dye that could be used to find other young/cheap fill-ins.

Most definitely.  I think it's worth the shot.  Seriously, what's there to lose?  If it doesn't work out, he can still be a strong lefty reliever out of the pen.  Considering that he holds the opposition to a low batting average, it's just a matter of him being able to limit his pitch count and have control on a consistent basis.

How many times does he get a shot at the rotation before you learn.. Hes a Bullpen guy.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
How many times does he get a shot at the rotation before you learn.. Hes a Bullpen guy.

He's had a whole..what 3 starts? Neal needs another pitch to add to his repertoire and he'd have a shot to be one heck of a starter imo. That being said, he's way to valuable to take him out of the bullpen, he's to damn good there to move him around.

jon had a good yr last yr, but remember he got 18 wins cause he was the 5th starter facing other teams 5th starters, if he had to face santana,bonderman, etc on a more regular basis, he wouldnt have had such a good season...jon is no better than a number 3 starter on most clubs, he only becomes a #1 or #2 on the royals,drays,pirates, etc....just my opinion

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
jon had a good yr last yr, but remember he got 18 wins cause he was the 5th starter facing other teams 5th starters, if he had to face santana,bonderman, etc on a more regular basis, he wouldnt have had such a good season...jon is no better than a number 3 starter on most clubs, he only becomes a #1 or #2 on the royals,drays,pirates, etc....just my opinion

That's really not the case at all. Basically once you get out of the first week of the season, that stuff stops happening. I'd be willing to bet he faced as man 1's as he did 5's last year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
It is so important for the Sox to get out to a hot start this season, on so many levels. 1st, just the team itself needs to have a good start, thats an obvious. 2nd, however, is the attendance issue.( NOT ANOTHER ATTENDANCE THREAD!!!!) If the Sox get off to a 8-8, 10-10 start, there are writers in this town, including the national media that are just begging to make last season seem like a fluke. I really believe if the Sox can start off hot like last season(not ass hot, I dont think thats possible again) then attendance should be great alll season. A good start is a must. Need to keep the buzz up.

That is why it is vital that the big attendance increase for 2006 be in season tickets, and not in single game tickets, that way the tickets are already sold, and even if the Sox get off to a slow start they still have a huge amount of tickets sold already. It is possible right now that the Sox could go into 2006 with more tickets sold than they did in the whole of 2005.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
How about Garland for Abreu?    ;)

Very interesting. But in a way you are straying from what won the World Series. Pitching for a big bat. The Sox tried the bopping lineup approach and it won nothing. Where do you play both Abreu and Dye? Can Abreu play CF?

Maybe I am wrong.