Furcal is now a dodger

drowninginflame

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furcal a Dodger: 3 Years, $40 Million

By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer

Free agent Rafael Furcal has agreed in principle to a three-year contract with the Dodgers that would make him one of the highest paid shortstops ever, a source close to the negotiations said Saturday. The deal would guarantee Furcal, 28, nearly $40 million.

He is expected to take a physical Sunday and a news conference could be held in Dallas on Monday, the first day of baseball's winter meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Furcal, who has played his entire six-year career with the Atlanta Braves, is a fleet switch-hitter with excellent range and a strong arm. He has a .284 lifetime batting average and last season had 46 stolen bases, 31 doubles, 11 triples and 12 home runs. He has averaged 107 runs scored the last four seasons.

Furcal chose the Dodgers over the Braves and the Chicago Cubs, who offered slightly less than $50 million over five years. The Braves wouldn't go higher than $36 million over four years.

The $13-million average annual value of the deal is significantly more than the $40-million, four-year deal the Boston Red Sox gave shortstop Edgar Renteria a year ago. Shortstop Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees makes nearly $20 million a year and Miguel Tejada of the Baltimore Orioles makes $11 million a year.

Alex Rodriguez signed a 10-year deal for $252 million in 2001 to play shortstop for the Texas Rangers, but he has since moved to third base with the Yankees.

Dodger shortstop Cesar Izturis, who won the Gold Glove award in 2004, is recovering from Tommy John surgery and is not expected to play until July. With Furcal in the fold, Izturis is expected to move to second base and Jeff Kent would play first base.

Izturis will be in the second year of a three-year contract and Kent has one year left on his contract.

Landing Furcal is a significant coup for new Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti, who only three days ago was spurned by free agent outfielder Brian Giles. Giles resigned with the San Diego Padres for nearly $5 million less than the Dodgers were offering over three years, citing family considerations.

The Dodgers plan to remain aggressive in the free agent market. They are expected to sign either Bill Mueller or Joe Randa to play third base and have made offers to several free agent starting pitchers. Obtaining a power-hitting outfielder is also a priority.

Wow, I don't care how Cubs or their fans spin this one, this was a punch to the gut to that team. Both Hendry and Baker mentioned Furcal by name multiple times this offseason, it seemed like they were penciling him into that lineup.

The Marlins or Damon have the Cubs' feet over the fire right now.

Was this a lot of money, you bet, but the Cubs need a leadoff hitter and sometimes you have to overpay to get what you need.

This should be killing the myth that players want to play for the Cubs and especially Baker, also, I'm done hearing my Cub fan friends talking about all the guys they are going to sign, this is the list I've had to hear of in the last few years;

1. Furcal

2. Tejada

3. Beltran

4. Damon (still a possability)

5. I-Rod

6. Maggs

anyone add to that?

This is sweet considering PK took a little less to stay with the Sox and Thome waived a strict no-trade clause to come here.

I know I may get some crap for this from some people, but I didn't rub the Sox championship in any Cubs fans face, but I will tease my friends about this...

Also, I don't want to hear about Hendry anymore, has he made some good moves, sure... but all I see is 1st, to 3rd to 4th...

Edited by SoxFan562004

The Dodgers overpayed but Furcal is pretty good. I wouldn't bat him leadoff. When he struggles it's because he gets "Home Run Happy" and his swing gets really long. I think that Izturis is a better fielder than Furcal. JMO. The ideal spot when Izturis gets back is to bat Furcal either 2nd or down in the lineup. Izturis should still be in the #1 slot.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
The Dodgers overpayed but Furcal is pretty good.  I wouldn't bat him leadoff.  When he struggles it's because he gets "Home Run Happy" and his swing gets really long.  I think that Izturis is a better fielder than Furcal.  JMO.  The ideal spot when Izturis gets back is to bat Furcal either 2nd or down in the lineup.  Izturis should still be in the #1 slot.

The same Izturis with the career .295 obp?? I actually like Izturis cause I love watching him play ss but he's not a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Is anyone listening to the Score right now? Its obvious that the two hosts are both Cubs fans, and they are disgusted about not getting Furcal, along with the callers. They are then going on about how the Cubs are adding more seats, and jacking up prices. Everyone is calling for Baker and Hendry's head.

Could the tide be changing in Chicago?

IMHO, cub fans have a right to be pissed off. They're organization has been in a downhill spiral since bartman.

Last offseason, the whole Stone issue getting priority over anything meaningful had to really accelerate thsi whoel process.

This is a ridiculously large contract and a ssoon as it was rumored you knew that Furcal just had to jump on it. I don't want to list the things I'd do for $13M/y.

You guys are right, the Cubs are going to pull the trigger and overpay for Pierre to save some face from this because every outlet, every prediction, every rumor said Furcal was as good as there. Damon can't be ruled out.

This is also going to do horrifying things to the prices of shortstops. Oh my good lord.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
They are all getting really fed up with the Orginzation,and the Sox only helped. They have a manager they cant trust, a GM they seem to have no faith in, a team with numerous holes, and there cross town rival just won the series. On top of it, there going to have to pay MORE money to get into "The Shrine" next season.....

:gosox3:

what did KW want to do this offseason? Resign PK and add more power, preferably from the left... Done and done

Hendry mentions Furcal by name, in fact I just heard a clip on the Score where he was saying stuff like "we really hope he comes here, and we've done all we can" and he fails. It is really rare to hear a GM talk as much about a FA as much as Hendry did about Furcal, and he doesn't even sign him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Could Kenny single handedly push Cubs fans off the ledge if he traded for Pierre next week??

:P  :P

lol, he could, but if the Marlins were asking for the two young pitchers and Cano before Furcal signed with the Dodgers, I couldn't imagine what they're asking for now from teams...

If anyone is in Chicago listen to the Score, they're playing all these clips from the Hendry interview yesterday, classic stuff.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Like I said earlier, now that the Cubs lost BADLY with Furcal, the Marlins can have the Cubbies by the balls, demand a kings ransom, and I think the Cubs will STILL acquire Pierre.

True, True. If the sox need to give up a lot for Pierre, screw it, he is good, but he isnt worth giving up a lot of good minor league talent

lol, ok, if you want to hear Cubs fans in pain and then get ripped on, listen to the Score in the 11 o'clock hour.

A Cub fan just called and said that some fans are defending it by saying it was too much money and Jason just ripped him up and down saying stuff like "why are you saving the Cubs money?" "The Trib has deep pockets" and even "that is a losing attitude" hahaha, this turned this boring night into some quality moments, I don't mind this snow right now

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
lol, ok, if you want to hear Cubs fans in pain and then get ripped on, listen to the Score in the 11 o'clock hour.

A Cub fan just called and said that some fans are defending it by saying it was too much money and Jason just ripped him up and down saying stuff like "why are you saving the Cubs money?"  "The Trib has deep pockets" and even "that is a losing attitude"  hahaha, this turned this boring night into some quality moments, I don't mind this snow right now

Holy s***, i didnt know it started to snow yet. wow i need to get out more :lolhitting

Some background on this from the L.A. Times writer who is reporting this...

Dodgers really wanted Giles, he took about 5 million less to stay with the Padres.

They then went crazy after Furcal and offerred him the creative 3 year contract stressing how he can still be a FA in his prime...

Saying he was going to go to the Cubs before the Dodgers came in.

Cubs offer was backloaded, this year wouldn't have been anywhere near 10 million.

The upfront money really sold Furcal, he liked the idea he got more than Tejada per year

Said technically Furcal is probably overpaid, but Dodgers plan on using some of their prospects the next few years so they'll save. then he pointed out how Furcal was it as far as an impact FA as this type of player (leadoff, stolen base guy). Mentioned Royce Clayton is still out there (ouch, that hurts)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
The upfront money really sold Furcal, he liked the idea he got more than Tejada per year

Well that kind of puts the deal in perspective. I like Furcal, I think he's a damn solid player and if he can keep his errors down like he did this year he's a gold glover. 13 mill per year though is nuts.