Furcal is now a dodger

drowninginflame

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Well that kind of puts the deal in perspective.  I like Furcal, I think he's a damn solid player and if he can keep his errors down like he did this year he's a gold glover.  13 mill per year though is nuts.

Trib mentioned today that players contracts are still insurable for up to 3 years, so the whole Dodgers contract will likely be insured

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
He's out with an injury, probably until mid June.  Jeff Kent is signed for 2006 only so they could let him go or move him to 1B and let Izurtis play 2B.

Bingo.

Dodger shortstop Cesar Izturis, who won the Gold Glove award in 2004, is recovering from Tommy John surgery and is not expected to play until July. With Furcal in the fold, Izturis is expected to move to second base and Jeff Kent would play first base.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...&track=morenews

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
You have a magic crystal ball?  Anything can happen.

True but If I had to rank players as far as likelihood of serious injury, he'd not be in the top 90 percent of my list. Maybe a jammed shoulder as a base stealer but I bet he's healthy for awhile

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Furcal won't get hurt anyways so I don't think the insurance is going to be necessary later

with the insurance I was thinking more of what if he gets another D.U.I. I'm not sure how much the players union would let a player sign a contract with a specific clause, and if he gets another D.U.I. it's going to be jail time

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
with the insurance I was thinking more of what if he gets another D.U.I. I'm not sure how much the players union would let a player sign a contract with a specific clause, and if he gets another D.U.I. it's going to be jail time

yeah I guess there could be a Billy Joel situation. Maybe McCourt can hire him a personal chauffer

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Silvy has that wager with Carmen that if the Sox get Pierre, he will allow Bruce Levine to come into the studio and kick him in the groin.  Irrespective of how childish it would be, it would be hilarious.

Not quite a Sue Bird spanking bet but still pretty good

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 3, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
Silvy has that wager with Carmen that if the Sox get Pierre, he will allow Bruce Levine to come into the studio and kick him in the groin.  Irrespective of how childish it would be, it would be hilarious.

To bad I actually like Silvy. Now if it was Mariotti, I would demand Kenny make a trade for Juan. :P :lol:

I understand the frustration of Cubs fans.

Remember, two season ago Sox fans were under similiar conditions--opposing team in Chicago had experienced playoff success, and followed up their success by acquiring several high profile players. Whereas our management did little in the free agent market to address pressing needs.

Now, in 2005, just multiply Cub anguish four fold. Winning a World Series is bound to aggrivate their fan base further. It's difficult sitting by watching your quasi-modo looking general manager overpaying for setup men, while seemingly ignoring a vital position such as shortstop. He may still pull of his annual raping of Pittsburgh, but unless he does something which upgrades three positions (CF/RF/SS), things won't be cheerful in Wrigleyville.

Oh, and don't forget The Dude is still employed. He's already been labeled scapegoat for failing to establish fundementals the last several seasons.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
It's nice to have Juan Uribe for that gigantic contract we gave him last offseason.

Remember Anthrax arguing last off-season about how terrible that deal was, and how'd we could get Furcal for about $7-8M? OOPS. :bang