Furcal is now a dodger

drowninginflame

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
I first see the Cubs targetting a SS who can hit leadoff. Julio Lugo from the d-rays fits that. Then they might target Pierre. If the Cubs get Lugo, they'll still be looking for some LH Ofers who can hit w/ power.

Yep Lugo makes a lot of sense for them, but they're gonna have to put up with his 25 errors a season as well at SS if that's the way they go.

No doubt the Devil Rays will want some good young arms such as Rich Hill for him though.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:54 AM)
I understand the frustration of Cubs fans.

Remember, two season ago Sox fans were under similiar conditions--opposing team in Chicago had experienced playoff success, and followed up their success by acquiring several high profile players. Whereas our management did little in the free agent market to address pressing needs.

Now, in 2005, just multiply Cub anguish four fold. Winning a World Series is bound to aggrivate their fan base further. It's difficult sitting by watching your quasi-modo looking general manager overpaying for setup men, while seemingly ignoring a vital position such as shortstop. He may still pull of his annual raping of Pittsburgh, but unless he does something which upgrades three positions (CF/RF/SS), things won't be cheerful in Wrigleyville.

Oh, and don't forget The Dude is still employed. He's already been labeled scapegoat for failing to establish fundementals the last several seasons.

At least KW filled the main need that offseason = OZZIE GUILLEN! ;)

Why is Baker still there manager? lol they have no clue how to run a team up there on the North side. They had one good year and now they are afraid of change.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)
I first see the Cubs targetting a SS who can hit leadoff. Julio Lugo from the d-rays fits that. Then they might target Pierre. If the Cubs get Lugo, they'll still be looking for some LH Ofers who can hit w/ power.

Lugo is supposedly earmarked for Atlanta. The beautiful thing about this is players are actually turning away the chance to play for Dusty in the Urinal. If you read the Tribune, you would think it is every player's dream to put on the Cubs uniform and play in that disaster area.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Lugo is supposedly earmarked for Atlanta. The beautiful thing about this is players are actually turning away the chance to play for Dusty in the Urinal. If you read the Tribune, you would think it is every player's dream to put on the Cubs uniform and play in that disaster area.

If Furcal was "so" perfect for the Cubs, they should have upped any and all offers.

I don't see many SS's out there that could help them. Maybe Alex Gonzelez from the Marlins. But they'll still need OFer's, and a leadoff guy like Pierre

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
no, i think flash gordon, kyle farnsworth, and bj ryan all tie for that honor

BJ Ryan for sure, I don't think the other two were completely out of the questions. Although Gordon's contract wasn't ideal, they were forced to offer him a third year. The first two years, money wise isn't all that bad, especially considering what the other closers received. Farnsworth is a risk, but he has talent, and again, the Yankees were forced to make the move. Besides, Yankee money can't really be compared to the rest of the league. Anyone signng there automatically will want the best offer they can receive, and often they get it.

Imagine being a Cubs fan right now. Just imagine it. I, for one, don't care what the rest of Soxtalk says, I take an extreme amount of pleasure watching these "die-hards" blast their team, front-office, fan-base, etc. This is just priceless.

As we're hoisting our World Championship flag, they'll be watching Carlos Zambrano, or, better yet, Mark Prior pitching yet another meaningless opening-day ballgame.

I'm going to have to start looking up while walking down the streets. I really think those fans holding out some hope are just going to go ahead and jump.

It's over, Cubs fans. You're headed back to the cellar for twenty years.

Bad. No. No. How dare you pretend to field a major-league team!?

Imagine being a Cubs fan right now.  Just imagine it.  I, for one, don't care what the rest of Soxtalk says, I take an extreme amount of pleasure watching these "die-hards" blast their team, front-office, fan-base, etc.  This is just priceless.

As we're hoisting our World Championship flag, they'll be watching Carlos Zambrano, or, better yet, Mark Prior pitching yet another meaningless opening-day ballgame.

I'm going to have to start looking up while walking down the streets.  I really think those fans holding out some hope are just going to go ahead and jump.

It's over, Cubs fans.  You're headed back to the cellar for twenty years.

Bad. No. No. How dare you pretend to field a major-league team!?

i feel ya. i also take great pleasure in the suffering of cubs fans. hendry really f***ed it up this offseason by making no moves that are worth a damn. i am looking forward to another sox world series championship paired with a total self-destruction effort by the cubs.

:gosox3:

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
i feel ya. i also take great pleasure in the suffering of cubs fans. hendry really f***ed it up this offseason by making no moves that are worth a damn. i am looking forward to another sox world series championship paired with a total self-destruction effort by the cubs.

They did need bullpen,help and they got that. They also need a leadoff man and a outfielder. Pierre or Damon would fill both of these needs. :ph34r:

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Pierre or Damon would fill both of these needs.  :ph34r:

I bet Lugo goest to the Braves. I bet Damon goes to the Cubs. If I were the Cubs, I'd rather have Damon then Pierre. Cost you a little more money but won't cost you prospects.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)

It is December. The offseson is not even half over.

True story... Friday nite the wife and I back up the baby and go to dinner at Old Country buffet. As we walk in there is a mother with about a 13yr old kid in line in front of us. The kid is reciting his plan on how the Cubs are going to get better in the off season. He saids there is a like a 99% chance that Furcal will sign with them, a half a percent chance with the Dodgers and the same for the braves. "99 percent chance, huh?" I retorted, and he looked at me with all of the confidence in teh world "Yup, he will sign with us" he said back to me.

LMFAO, I wonder how soggy his cheerios are this morning?

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
They did need bullpen,help and they got that. They also need a leadoff man and a outfielder. Pierre or Damon would fill both of these needs.  :ph34r:

There's still options out there yes, but this Furcal thing is such a slap to the face for the Cubs because Hendry and Baker were making public statements about Furcal. (I heard and saw them multiple places, but WSCR has interviews with them, I believe they're both up on their websites).

Also, the Cubs plan was to have Furcal AND Pierre, that was reported on both local stations. So, no matter what they do it's their plan B. The Cubs just thought they would throw some money on the table and Furcal would come running here, it didn't happen. Cubs cannot spin him not signing with them as anything but a negative.

It also screws everything up with them getting Pierre. No matter what the Cubs proposed to the Marlins before yesterday automatically went up. The Marlins and any other potential move, including Damon, just got a huge upper hand in negotiations.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
They did need bullpen,help and they got that. They also need a leadoff man and a outfielder. Pierre or Damon would fill both of these needs.  :ph34r:

overpaying for two middle of the road relievers isnt really a good move by the cubs. I would say the only good move that they could of done for their team wouldve been furcal. Every other player they are looking at now will still leave some serious holes.

I'm not even sure the Marlins will still gouge them.  They're basically giving away players as long as someone will take their entire contracts.  I'm sure they'll get more for Pierre than they would've before Furcal signed, but I don't  trust them to gouge the Cubs.

The Marlins just got Gaby Hernandez and another minor league pitcher for Paul Lo Duca. Lo Duca really isn't that good. He's pretty overrated. It will be interesting to see what they get for Pierre, an established leadoff hitter that the Cubs desire.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
The Marlins just got Gaby Hernandez and another minor league pitcher for Paul Lo Duca.  Lo Duca really isn't that good.  He's pretty overrated.  It will be interesting to see what they get for Pierre, an established leadoff hitter that the Cubs desire.

How good is Hernandez?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
Do you know what I love?  The fact that the Cubs just got John Mabry while we are going after former Batting Champ Bill Mueller to be our Utility Infielder.

Did they get Mabry? A buddy of mine told me that, but it's not on their website.