Paul LoDuca

DBAHO

Wow, yesterday it seemes he was about to become a D-Back;

The Mets are close to acquiring Paul Lo Duca from the Marlins in exchange for a minor leaguer, according to the New York Post.

It can't be Lastings Milledge. This is very bad news for Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez, as we can be certain the Marlins aren't going to spend big to replace Lo Duca. Perhaps one of the two will end up accepting arbitration. It's nearly certain to be offered to Molina, less certain with Hernandez. The Orioles and Diamondbacks could still be willing to invest some significant money in a catcher, but it's hard to imagine either going to $8 million per year, which is what Molina hoped to get. Dec. 4 - 3:42 am et

I wonder who the minor leaguer is, if it's not Milledge?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
Why would the Orioles need a catcher?  Something else happen to Lopez that I don't know about?

Btw, I will still say that whatever team ends up with Hernandez will be getting  a bargain.

They want Lopez to DH and occasionally catch like Piazza IIRC.

Will be very interesting to see what happens to the market for Molina and Hernandez though. Arizona I think will probably end up with one, if they can trade Troy Glaus and Javier Vazquez to free up payroll.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Who could the minor leaguer be? I guess with Lo Duca's mone it'd be a B prospect. Haven't heard much lately on Johnny Estrada but if he is non-tendered he'd be a good guy for a team that needs a catcher

I don't think the Braves are gonna do that, when he could be a very useful piece in a trade. Unfortunately for them, there's quite a few other options out there, although Estrada would probably be the cheapest.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
I don't think the Braves are gonna do that, when he could be a very useful piece in a trade. Unfortunately for them, there's quite a few other options out there, although Estrada would probably be the cheapest.

I haven't heard anything lately but I know in October they were seriously considering not offering him arbitration due to cost and the feeling that their in-house options could get it done.

It's a done deal:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_...8p-316146c.html

In exchange for the 33-year-old Brooklyn-born LoDuca, Minaya sacrificed one of the Mets' top pitching prospects, 21-year-old righthander Gaby Hernandez, a Miami high school product, and another minor leaguer pitcher to be named. But LoDuca, who hit .283 with six homers and 85 RBI last season, is regarded as one of the top offensive catchers in the game as well as a team leader and positive clubhouse presence.

I haven't agreed with some of what the Marlins have gotten back in return, but they're doing rebuilding the right way. Trade everyone, and get back as many young guys as possible.

And, I'd guess that they aren't done, and that they're getting something decent from the Yankees or the Cubs for Pierre. Gosh, I'd love to see the Cubs give in and throw Pie to Florida...

BTW -- nice trade for Florida. A pretty good pitching prospect for an overrated and old catcher.

Edited by CWSGuy406

How is LoDuca overrated?  I never hear about him.

Lo Duca doesn't have much power, plays poor defense behind the plate, has a weak arm, and will be 34 years old to start next season. He will also earn $6.25 million in 2006 and 2007. He's just not very good and definately not worth his contract. But he's a great clubhouse guy though. The Mets would have been better off signing Bengie Molina or Ramon Hernandez. They both are better hitters, play better defense, and would have only cost money instead of prospects and money. This was a stupid trade for the Mets because it was completely unnecessary considering the much better options available through free agency.

Edited by SSH2005

Wow, the Marlins are cheap:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13329457.htm

EARLIER SETBACK

Last week, the Marlins and Diamondbacks agreed on a trade that would have sent Lo Duca, due $12.5 million over the next two seasons, back to Arizona for a package of prospects, only to have the deal fall apart when the Diamondbacks also asked for $1 million in cash considerations. That opened the door for the Mets, who were also courting free-agent catchers Ramon Hernandez and Bengie Molina.

Edited by SSH2005

I don’t know about Lo Duca being overrated, but he is a pretty good offensive catcher. Lo Duca is a career .285/.339/.417 hitter, which is decent, but defensively he is nothing special. The Mets would have been better of with 29 year-old Ramon Hernandez who has a strong arm and would have asked for $6 million a year.

I don’t know about Lo Duca being overrated, but he is a pretty good offensive catcher. Lo Duca is a career .285/.339/.417 hitter, which is decent, but defensively he is nothing special. The Mets would have been better of with 29 year-old Ramon Hernandez who has a strong arm and would have asked for $6 million a year.

Look at Lo Duca's previous seasons. He has been in major decline with age. His power has disappeared. That's not good when he has a weak arm and he's not a very good defensive catcher to begin with.