Garcia To Pitch for Venezuela

kevin57

How Concerned Are You that Freddy Will Pitch for Native Venezuela This Spring?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How Concerned Are You that Freddy Will Pitch for Native Venezuela This Spring?

• Very Concerned. This will come back and bite us in the backside.
    • Moderately Concerned. I'm irritated but not incensed.
    • Somewhat Concerned. But I won't lose sleep over it.
    • Not at all Concerned. This is a non-issue.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Link to it being offical?

If it is true, the biggest question in my mind would be if Ozzie is managing the club or not. If Oz is the manager of Venezuela, I dont have a problem with it, because from what Ozzie had been quoted on, he seems concerned to have Garcia go, and if Ozzie had control of Garcia, im sure he would not let him get to many innings in, or get fatigued in the least.

Very good point. Still, this does scare the hell out of me. I just don't like our pitchings having unnecessary work. Hopefully I'm just worrying about nothing and everything goes fine.

Sorry, I don't know how to link. But here's the info.

Chicago Tribune, pg. 6 (Sports Section): Garcia is pitching in

Sox right-hander to join Venezuela in World tournament.

"Country comes first, so Freddy Garcia will pitch for Venezuela in the inaugural 18-day World Baseball Classic that begins in early March while the White Sox are going through spring training."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

If it is true, the biggest question in my mind would be if Ozzie is managing the club or not. If Oz is the manager of Venezuela, I dont have a problem with it, because from what Ozzie had been quoted on, he seems concerned to have Garcia go, and if Ozzie had control of Garcia, im sure he would not let him get to many innings in, or get fatigued in the least.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Right herrre.

QUOTE(spataro51 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
i am concerned because he was showing signs of fatigue at the end of last year

To the tune of a 2.14 era in the playoffs. The injury factor just really worries me, especially with a pitcher. Extra time pitching meaningless(meaningless to me) games doesn't sit with me well. Obviously you can't tell Freddy he cant pitch in this though, this is his decision and hopefully everything works out fine.

Edited by Rowand44

Yea, I'm not real happy about this whole world championship at all. Freddy is what, 30 years old? He doesn't need anymore strain on his right arm then is absolutely needed by the White Sox. So now he has to pitch for his home team in some gimmicky world championship--great.

If Freddy gets injured next year the "I told you so's" will be out in full force, and rightfully so. He already pitched over 200 innings last year, he needs rest, not this.

That being said, I don't blame Freddy at all, if I was in his position, I'd do the exact same thing. It's just unfortunate this has to happen after he already pitched deep into the playoffs.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Freddy is a big, strong guy, so the injury concern doesn't worry me, but I hope he doesn't have more arm fatigue than usual.  Basically, the tournament is his spring training starts, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Except he's pitching in real games. Big difference between just throwing in spring training to actually pitching in these games in which are going to be meaningful for the participants.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)

Luis Sojo is managing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
What scares me is that FG might want to go deep into these games because he actually cares about these games.  It's not like he's going to be facing the Royals.

They say they won't let anyone go deep.

Strict pitch counts will be incorporated in the tournament games and no position player will be used for more than five innings, conforming to the usual playing time expended by most Major League players during Spring Training.

I haven't seen the pitch count limit but there are so many pitchers and so few games (even the champion team will only play 8) that it probably would be about the same as a regular ST camp.

I think we are all being too selfish. He is a countryman first and a White Sox player 2nd. I'm sure most would accept the offer to play for their country. I am somewhat concerned but definitely won't lose sleep.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
I think we are all being too selfish. He is a countryman first and a White Sox player 2nd. I'm sure most would accept the offer to play for their country. I am somewhat concerned but definitely won't lose sleep.

The problem is, this little "baseball" classic is a complete crock. First, let's make up random rules about who can represent what countries. Then, let's limit the amount of pitches a guy can throw. And finally, guys can only play a certain amount of innings in the field.

That is NOT baseball. This all about Unclue Bud trying to make some more money.

I saw Ozzie quoted as saying he was concerned about Freddy's pitching, mostly because he tired at the end of the season. I also heard Coop saying the same thing. He said he was "very concerned." If those guys are worried, so am I.

I wonder if they have the same opinion concerning MB's participation.