Byrd Signs with the Tribe

JDsDirtySox

If Byrd is replacing Elarton (and they re-sign Millwood or get someone near his quality), then I'm unhappy with this move. If Byrd is replacing Millwood, then I'm happy.

Hoffman is still pretty good, but his ERA wasn't too great last year in the terrible NL West in a gigantic stadium. He'd almost definitely be a downgrade from Wickman's performance from last year.

I'd rather the sox face Byrd than Millwood. Millwood was very tough vs. the sox last yr.

Hoffman isn't the same pitcher he once was. And the sox didn't fare well vs. Wickman in the past.

So IMO, Millwood + Wickman >>> Byrd + Hoffman

Exactly how I feel. We have some trouble with Byrd but much more against Millwood.

LOL. THat is a lot of money for a guy liek that. I woulda thrown in the extra money and just resigned Millwood. Millwood OWNED us last year too, so it really doesn't matter from our perspective.

2 years, $14.25 million is about market value for a pitcher like Byrd (see Loaiza's contract). I agree with you though. I'd rather pay Millwood the extra money.

Edited by SSH2005

Hes a soft tossing flyball pitcher. Facing him in the playoffs is one thing, facing him a whole bunch of times in league play means we will get to him. I would rather face a Byrd over facing Millwood. Millwoods pedigree is a hell of a lot better than Paul Byrd.

Thome vs Byrd should be a nice matchup in our favor. I am thinking the ball should land nicely in the bullpen sports bar.

This signing doesn't worry me at all, since they are probably not going to add Millwood or Burnett. That means their rotation is going to take a hit, because Byrd is a passable #3 at best. His ERA has been in the high 3's the last 3 seasons, which is decent but not stellar. They still need another starter and another bullpen arm. I've been saying several bullpen arms, but then I looked at the numbers again and some of their guys are decent (like Cabrera, Miller, Rhodes, and Betancourt). they need a real closer pretty badly though.

I'd imagine this move is replacing Millwood, and they'll either bring up an arm from the minors to replace Elarton, or they'll resign Elarton.

Elarton seems underrated to me. For all the s*** the guy takes, he did put up an ERA of under 4 and WHIPs of 1.10 or lower in 3 of the last 4 months of the season(unless his October start against the Sox changes his Sept/Oct numbers, and it very well could have - it was a pretty bad start)

I look for him to have a pretty solid year next year...10-14 wins, ERA in the 4.00-4.50 range with 200 innings...or in other words a pretty solid #4 pitcher.