Nathan Vasher for DPOY

Look at the numbers:

last year Ed Reed won the award with numbers of 78 tackles, 2 sacks, 9 int, 1 TD, 3 FF

Vasher this year (with 4 games left): 35 tackles, 0 sacks, 7 int, 2 TD, 2 FF

He doesn't have the sacks or tackles, but has one more TD, possibly will tie with Int and may get one more FF.

What do you think? There is no dominant player this year like Ray Lewis was a couple years ago or Strahan.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Historically, those tackle and sack numbers need to rise if he is to be considered the favorite for the award.

I went back in my notebook, though, and took a look at what I had for Vasher, here's what I had written:

-Needs to remain at the CB position if he is to play regularly on Sundays

-Has a nose for the football, always seems to be in the right place at the right time

-Very impressive hands for a DB, tying Texas' school record with 17 INCs

-Runs about 4.4-4.8 fourty

-Decent open-field tackler

-Can make a big play

-Under-sized

-Has to improve back-peddle

-Can he handle the Moss'es of the NFL?

-Will he ever catch on as a starter?

:lol: :lol:

Oops.

I think he has what it takes to be considered amongst the league's elite DBs within the next year or two.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Two words:  Brian Urlacher.

He's been great, but hardly dominant. He's got 80 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 FF and 0 int. His presence is great, too, but you can't call him dominant this year like Strahan and Lewis were a couple of years ago.

this was dominant (Lewis):

in 2003, 163 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF, 6 ints, 1 TD

or this (Strahan):

in 2001, 73 tackles, 23 sacks, 6 FF.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
All Nate Vasher does is get picks and score touchdowns.

Why isn't he returning punts?  He did that at UT all the time.

You don't want your starting corner returning punts, especially when your backup CB is Azumah who is the perfect Nickle back for this defense.

Bernard Berrian would be a better choice.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Yuck.  He might be able to catch the ball but he has more straight line speed than anything.  Lacks the shiftiness a PR needs.

I don't think we have a good PR on the roster right now (not counting Vash). I know for a fact that Bernard will not fumble, that's all I'm asking from my PR at this point in time.

All I remember, when Nathan Vasher was here in Austin returning punts, was that he was a threat EVERY TIME to break one, maybe two, punts per college game. He would give the Bears an X-factor on special teams that would be an upgrade compared to what they have now.

I understand you don't want to put your starter out there, but still.....I really, REALLY wish he was back there.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
All I remember, when Nathan Vasher was here in Austin returning punts, was that he was a threat EVERY TIME to break one, maybe two, punts per college game.  He would give the Bears an X-factor on special teams that would be an upgrade compared to what they have now.

I understand you don't want to put your starter out there, but still.....I really, REALLY wish he was back there.

He returns a punt, gets hit low, blows a knee and we have Azumah starting with ?Rashied Davis/Todd Johnson? at the nickle, assuming Green is starting at FS with Harris out with his knee injury.

We can't afford to have our stud CB returning punts, no matter how good he is, we're just not deep enough at DB right now.

I just checked the Bears Depth Chart on the official website and Bernard Berrian is in fact the 3rd string PR behind Rashied Davis.

I'm really hoping we see him return punts Vs the Steelers next Sunday, he's got great speed and great hands. He'll give you 5+ yards and fall down, no fumbles necessary.

I just checked the Bears Depth Chart on the official website and Bernard Berrian is in fact the 3rd string PR behind Rashied Davis.

I'm really hoping we see him return punts Vs the Steelers next Sunday, he's got great speed and great hands. He'll give you 5+ yards and fall down, no fumbles necessary.

I think we will see Eddie Berlin returning punts next week.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
I think we will see Eddie Berlin returning punts next week.

It depends on how he feels, if he feels he can go out there and not reinjur himself, then there's a damn good chance we'll be seeing a speedy little white guy returning punts next week.

It depends on how he feels, if he feels he can go out there and not reinjur himself, then there's a damn good chance we'll be seeing a speedy little white guy returning punts next week.

As long as he has good hands, which I think he does. I'm sick of these guys not even catching or holding onto the ball. With our offense, we can't risk those kinds of mistakes.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)

See: Tim Dwight

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
See: Tim Dwight

Except Time Dwight has a lot more experience and success at returning punts than Eddie Berlin.

Berlin has only returned 7 punts in his 5 year NFL career and all were in '04, he gained 26 yards off those returns (3.7avg).

Dwight has returned 152 punts over his 8 year NFL career, he's gained 1500 yards off those returns (9.9avg) + 3 tds.

Totally different players.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Except Time Dwight has a lot more experience and success at returning punts than Eddie Berlin.

Berlin has only returned 7 punts in his 5 year NFL career and all were in '04, he gained 26 yards off those returns (3.7avg).

Dwight has returned 152 punts over his 8 year NFL career, he's gained 1500 yards off those returns (9.9avg) + 3 tds.

Totally different players.

They're both fast white guys....same!