Purchasing a Laptop Computer

redandwhite

I am looking into buying a nice laptop as I will be needing it for college next year, and have the funds at the moment.

I've been searching and doing some minor research on my own, but i figured i might be able to get some help here.

$1000-1500$ price range, preferably less, but if its a really good one I wouldn't mind. I want wireless internet I feel aswell.

What do you guys suggest?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
I am looking into buying a nice laptop as I will be needing it for college next year, and have the funds at the moment.

I've been searching and doing some minor research on my own, but i figured i might be able to get some help here.

$1000-1500$ price range, preferably less, but if its a really good one I wouldn't mind. I want wireless internet I feel aswell.

If you're looking for good customer service don't buy HP/Compaq.

Wireless internet pretty much comes standard these days. Just stay away from Gateway. Those things are pieces of crap. Dell, HP & the Sony Vaio are good choices all around.

Basically it comes down to finding the best deal on the best equipment. The brand isn't that big of a deal, you will find different people that hate every brand made. I've searched the net extensively looking for deals, and even with all the price comparison websites, I still found that Best Buy and Circuit City were my two best bets when shipping, and customizing were figured in online. I would go into Best Buy and take a look at their different packages on laptops, then head to Circuit City, and write down their deals etc. Then you can check online and see if you can get anything better, but I would doubt it.

i had a toshiba. computer itself was fine. had to get rid of it because 1 problem. i somehow broke off the lil' piece on the motherboard where the cord connects. tried getting it resoldered a couple of times but a couple months later it broke both times i resoldered it. only fix was to replace the motherboard but it was a couple years old by that point (although still pretty up-to-date) so wasn't worth it. was told that there are some brands/models (sorry don't remember which) of laptops where when you bump the cord hard enough it auto comes unplugged or something like that so something like my problem doesn't happen. just a lil' something you might want to try to look into if you're going to be on the go with it quite a bit w/ it plugged in...

If you're looking to spend so much money, go with a good brand.

Dell sucks.

HP-Compaq sucks.

Gateway sucks.

Toshiba is ok.

Sony is ok.

You might want to check out Alienware, they are a bit pricey but neat looking, not the same regurgitated Dell cases. Alienwares are good computers too, my friend has one and I was very impressed with it.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
You might want to check out Alienware, they are a bit pricey but neat looking, not the same regurgitated Dell cases. Alienwares are good computers too, my friend has one and I was very impressed with it.

those are a waste of money unless you are some big 'gamer' dork.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
yea, im thinking of going dell, although there were some nice deals on HP's in todays best buy catalog.

thanks guys, keep it coming.

I have 2 dells and a Mac. I love the Dells, they are reliable and my wireless is a godsend. I have Latitude D600m's.

Get a Thinkpad if you feel like spending a little extra. Otherwise you'd be best off getting the aforementioned Dells in the Inspiron series. Get a Latitude maybe if you want something a little less bulky.

Dual core notebooks are supposedly on the way. I'm not sure of the price range or release date, but the performance tests have been very impressive. I say hold off for a bit because the performance gains should be huge (basically two processors in your laptop for close to the price of one).

http://www.notebookreview.com is a good site for finding reviews and the latest coupons for any notebooks.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)

Dell and get a gig of ram if you can (the more ram the better). Aside from that the mobile pentium is really nice, but if your not gonna really care about how heavy or thin it is, often times you can find better, more powerful machines for a little less money than those that are super thin. Just depends on your preference.

Definately get a DVD player/burner in there and opt for a nice monitor. Depending on the useage you may be interested in spluring for an extra battery (some of them don't last long so if for osme reason you plan on using them often without having access to a plug its nice to have 2).

They should pretty much all come with wireless, but if they don't make sure you get it (definately super super nice).

Oh and with Dell take advantage of the warranty. Laptops fail more than desktops since everything is more compressed and fragile. Because of that its nice to know if something goes wrong they'll replace it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
yea, im thinking of going dell, although there were some nice deals on HP's in todays best buy catalog.

thanks guys, keep it coming.

Also, check out www.gotapex.com

They'll usually post all the Dell computer deals and coupons. Oftne times you can find a really good deal. When I bought mine two years ago I ended up saving big bucks on an inspiron.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
Get a Thinkpad if you feel like spending a little extra. Otherwise you'd be best off getting the aforementioned Dells in the Inspiron series. Get a Latitude maybe if you want something a little less bulky.

Dual core notebooks are supposedly on the way. I'm not sure of the price range or release date, but the performance tests have been very impressive. I say hold off for a bit because the performance gains should be huge (basically two processors in your laptop for close to the price of one).

http://www.notebookreview.com is a good site for finding reviews and the latest coupons for any notebooks.

Plus they are supposedly very close to releasing laptops with batteries that last 8-10 hr's (due to the dual processors that they will be shifting to).