University cancels creationism class

Texsox

TOPEKA, Kansas (AP) -- A University of Kansas course devoted to debunking creationism and intelligent design has been canceled after the professor who planned to teach it caused a furor by sending an e-mail mocking Christian fundamentalists.

Twenty-five students had enrolled in the course, originally called "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and Other Religious Mythologies," which had been scheduled for the spring.

Linked to CNN

And the news story that somehow flew under the radar today.

Mirecki hospitalized after beating

Originally published 05:37 p.m., December 5, 2005

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies are investigating the reported beating of a Kansas University professor who gained recent notoriety for his Internet tirades against Christian fundamentalists.

Kansas University religious studies professor Paul Mirecki reported he was beaten by two men about 6:40 a.m. today on a roadside in rural Douglas County. In a series of interviews late this afternoon, Mirecki said the men who beat him were making references to the controversy that has propelled him into the headlines in recent weeks.

“I didn’t know them, but I’m sure they knew me,” he said.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/dec/05/m...ating/?breaking

Onward, Christian Soldiers! Way to love your neighbor. f***ing mouthbreathers. :angry:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
And the news story that somehow flew under the radar today.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/dec/05/m...ating/?breaking

Onward, Christian Soldiers!  Way to love your neighbor.  f***ing mouthbreathers.  :angry:

No word on whether they were going to try and burn him at the stake for heresy.... :headshake

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
It's a good thing we judge entire populations based on two individuals.....

f***ing mouthbreathers... :headshake

My comments were directed only at the mouthbreathers involved in the assault, fine Christians that they are and all. :headshake :headshake

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
My comments were directed only at the mouthbreathers involved in the assault, fine Christians that they are and all. :headshake :headshake

I don't recall reading that the individuals claimed to be christians, it was the "respectable" professor who labeled them that.

Mirecki said he was driving to breakfast when he noticed the men tailgating him in a pickup truck.

“I just pulled over hoping they would pass, and then they pulled up real close behind,” he said. “They got out, and I made the mistake of getting out.”

maybe you cut them off in traffic. or they were drunk.

“I didn’t know them, but I’m sure they knew me,” he said.

please, you self absorbed ass. no one cares who you are. your class got canceled.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
maybe you cut them off in traffic. or they were drunk.

please, you self absorbed ass. no one cares who you are. your class got canceled.

Mirecki said the men who beat him were making references to the controversy that has propelled him into the headlines in recent weeks.

so far it's a one sided report. I'm in no way defending whoever these friggin' yahoos were. I'm just saying that everyone's so quick to say, "see, it's those damn christians."

it's like looking at Cerbaho's and lowercaserepublican's experiences and saying, see, all women suck at driving.

I found what jim and the other guy had to say slightly offensive, that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
so far it's a one sided report. I'm in no way defending whoever these friggin' yahoos were. I'm just saying that everyone's so quick to say, "see, it's those damn christians."

it's like looking at Cerbaho's and lowercaserepublican's experiences and saying, see, all women suck at driving.

I found what jim and the other guy had to say slightly offensive, that's all I'm saying.

You want odds on whether or not these guys turn out to be self-professed Christians as the story develops? Honestly??

Tell you what, Bro, the next time a story breaks about two agnostics pounding the crap out of an evangelical Christian make sure to post it here and rub my face in it. I consider myself forewarned.

Of course, the next time that story breaks will be the first time. :rolly

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
You want odds on whether or not these guys turn out to be self-professed Christians as the story develops?  Honestly??

Tell you what, Bro, the next time a story breaks about two agnostics pounding the crap out of an evangelical Christian make sure to post it here and rub my face in it.  I consider myself forewarned.

Of course, the next time that story breaks will be the first time.  :rolly

Jim beat me to the punch. But he's right. Anyone who thinks that the two felons who attacked that professor did it for some reason unrelated to his class is intentionally misleading themselves.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Jim beat me to the punch.  But he's right.  Anyone who thinks that the two felons who attacked that professor did it for some reason unrelated to his class is intentionally misleading themselves.

It could have just as easily been two evolutionists who wanted to give creationists some bad publicity. Let's not just make assumptions here.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
It could have just as easily been two evolutionists who wanted to give creationists some bad publicity.  Let's not just make assumptions here.

In a series of interviews late this afternoon, Mirecki said the men who beat him were making references to the controversy that has propelled him into the headlines in recent weeks.

Assumptions?

You're asking us to assume that the professor was lying.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
In a series of interviews late this afternoon, Mirecki said the men who beat him were making references to the controversy that has propelled him into the headlines in recent weeks.

Assumptions?

You're asking us to assume that the professor was lying.

No. He may be telling the truth. He could just be a patsy in an evil evolutionist plot.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
Give me back my tinfoil hat, YAS!  :bang

I hear ya. Which is what I was thinking when the assumption was made that these guys were Christians. Of course, that was also done without any basis in fact.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
I hear ya.  Which is what I was thinking when the assumption was made that these guys were Christians.  Of course, that was also done without any basis in fact.

You're putting forth the proposition that there is an equal likelyhood that the perps are evolutionists as opposed to them being Christian extremists?

You didn't work as a tobacco industry lawyer in a past life did you? :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
You're putting forth the proposition that there is an equal likelyhood that the perps are evolutionists as opposed to them being Christian extremists?

You didn't work as a tobacco industry lawyer in a past life did you?  :)

Based on the information at hand, one assumption can be made just as easily as the other. They are both possible scenarios, that were dreamed up without any factual basis whatsoever.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
I hear ya.  Which is what I was thinking when the assumption was made that these guys were Christians.  Of course, that was also done without any basis in fact.

Of course they aren't Christians. Christians don't do that.

But it doesn't mean they don't self-identify as a Christian.

I doubt it's an evolutionist plot tho. In Lawrence they all sip Lattes at the Bourgeois Pig while discussing the merits of Wittgenstein. Not a violent bunch.