University cancels creationism class

Texsox

Eh. I've made my point. Assumptions were made and conclusions were jumped to without any idea what the hell actually happened. You all go ahead and continue to direct your slings and arrows of outrageous fortune at whichever available target appears next.

^^^^ precisely what goes on around here.

for a liberal bunch, this place is quick to judge certain groups and protect others.

breathe in that hypocrisy.

by the way, they probably are some crazed christian right wingers. I'm just amused at how quickly people jump to conclusions. My thoughts before I read the article, was that some college guys did it; yet, the professor told the cops it was two guys between 30-40. The dude gets out of his car after he stops to let the tailgaters pass??

if nothing else, this professor gets the stupid ass award for the week.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Of course they aren't Christians. Christians don't do that.

But it doesn't mean they don't self-identify as a Christian.

I doubt it's an evolutionist plot tho. In Lawrence they all sip Lattes at the Bourgeois Pig while discussing the merits of Wittgenstein. Not a violent bunch.

I used to dig a Lawrence band, the Backsliders. Ever hear anything from them?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
^^^^ precisely what goes on around here.

for a liberal bunch, this place is quick to judge certain groups and protect others.

breathe in that hypocrisy.

by the way, they probably are some crazed christian right wingers. I'm just amused at how quickly people jump to conclusions. My thoughts before I read the article, was that some college guys did it; yet, the professor told the cops it was two guys between 30-40. The dude gets out of his car after he stops to let the tailgaters pass??

if nothing else, this professor gets the stupid ass award for the week.

to me it seems like some people are standing up for two people that beat the s*** out of a professor...while the professor is being condemned for words...

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
to me it seems like some people are standing up for two people that beat the s*** out of a professor...while the professor is being condemned for words...

and you'd be wrong. I never once said I thought what these two nutjobs did was ok. I did however point out how quickly people judge entire demographics and label these guys Christians, when their behavior is anything but Christian.

no one is looking at the facts. This professor, who verbally mocked christians via email, an act that would call into question his decision making skills, got out of his car after he pulled his car over to the side of the road when he was being tailgated by some men in a truck. I find it interesting that no one says, "hmm, I wonder if the professor said anything to the attackers to piss them off?"

I just find the whole thing very curious. Everyone was quick to assume the professor's story to be 100% accurate, aside from his ass getting kicked, which we can assume is the safest bet. The professor has a history of antagonizing people, and how do you think almost 100% of every person on soxtalk.com would react to someone tailgaiting them? they'd be pissed. And your reaction if you pulled over and the truck followed? more pissed The guy made the mistake of getting out of his car.

The same people who blame rape victims for putting themselves in stupid situations, don't seem to be speaking up about this professor for being a moron.

My final points:

I hope the two a-holes who attacked him go to jail.

I don't trust the professor's report 100%

I think it's assinine to label anyone who acts like the attackers did, christians. Just because you say you're something or label yourself something, doesn't make it a reality.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
and you'd be wrong. I never once said I thought what these two nutjobs did was ok. I did however point out how quickly people judge entire demographics and label these guys Christians, when their behavior is anything but Christian.

no one is looking at the facts. This professor, who verbally mocked christians via email, an act that would call into question his decision making skills, got out of his car after he pulled his car over to the side of the road when he was being tailgated by some men in a truck. I find it interesting that no one says, "hmm, I wonder if the professor said anything to the attackers to piss them off?"

I just find the whole thing very curious. Everyone was quick to assume the professor's story to be 100% accurate, aside from his ass getting kicked, which we can assume is the safest bet. The professor has a history of antagonizing people, and how do you think almost 100% of every person on soxtalk.com would react to someone tailgaiting them? they'd be pissed. And your reaction if you pulled over and the truck followed? more pissed  The guy made the mistake of getting out of his car.

The same people who blame rape victims for putting themselves in stupid situations, don't seem to be speaking up about this professor for being a moron.

My final points:

I hope the two a-holes who attacked him go to jail.

I don't trust the professor's report 100%

I think it's assinine to label anyone who acts like the attackers did, christians. Just because you say you're something or label yourself something, doesn't make it a reality.

PA, I think their reaction is just a showing of what knee-jerk fundamentalism can do. Unthinking belief in anything (i.e. Muslim extremists, white supremacists, militia nuts, etc.) will lead to problems. Unpopular speech is the speech that should be most protected by the First Amendment (something on which I think we'll both agree) And I agree with your last statement -- I mean Hell, look at OBL, Falwell, Robertson, Dobson and Co. who all say they are spokespeople of their respective religions when they're nothing more than charlatans and cranks trying to bilk people out of money.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
PA, I think their reaction is just a showing of what knee-jerk fundamentalism can do.  Unthinking belief in anything (i.e. Muslim extremists, white supremacists, militia nuts, etc.) will lead to problems.  Unpopular speech is the speech that should be most protected by the First Amendment (something on which I think we'll both agree)  And I agree with your last statement -- I mean Hell, look at OBL, Falwell, Robertson, Dobson and Co. who all say they are spokespeople of their respective religions when they're nothing more than charlatans and cranks trying to bilk people out of money.

Interesting choice of words as I thought their reactions were knee-jerk and unthinking.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)

Originally called "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and other Religious Mythologies," the course was canceled last week at Mirecki's request.

That is the first I had heard it was his choice. Not sure that was actually the case.

Seeing as his expertise is in Mediterranean religions and cultures, I might surmise that it might not sit well with the Vhristianity-centered faculty members that he was the Religious Studies department chair.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
I never vould get through muvh of the Vhristian bible.

It all seem so Vliche' and vontrived, vompared to its Christian vounterpart.

:P

Vouche'

:fight :fight

Typing in a dim room. . . and I swear the keys are moving around on me! :D