Baseball Tonight

IlliniKrush

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Then why are rumors running wild about a CF if KW was so confident.  Where theres smoke theres fire.

EVen, better, now base your judgement of Brian Anderson on some "hot stove" rumors, and maybe even some internet chatter.

Would you like a shovel to dig your self even deeper?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
My reason is that in the games I say from him this year, he didn't look that good and his swing was terrible.  Plus everyone on this board feels Owens is higher on the depth charts then Anderson to begin with.  I'd rather go with experience over a rookie, for this season.

As far as ceiling goes...

1) Young

2) Sweeney

3) Anderson

4) Owens

As far as fulfilling projections and expectations goes...

1) Anderson

2) Owens

3) Young

4) Sweeney

Perhaps JMO, perhaps the opinion of many on Soxtalk. Given, those are all arguable, but atleast for me, I see Anderson above Owens on both lists. So no, I don't like Owens more than Anderson.

I personally view Anderson, at his best, as a .290-.300, 15-25 HR, 60-90 RBI, .775-.850 OPS, 15-25 SB type player with gold glove defense, where as I view Owens as a .290-.310 5-10 HR, 30-50 RBI, .675-.750 OPS, 45-55 SB type player with good, but not stellar defense.

I also figure Anderson is more MLB ready than any of the Sox other OFers, due to Sweeney, Young, and Owens both playing in AA last year while Anderson was mostly in AAA and had a few ABs in the majors. Anderson also adjusts rather quickly, so I think you'll see a relatively quick transition to MLB pitching for him.

Just want to point something out. I dont' know what you guys were watching, but I was watching ESPN News and the hotlist just now and they had a long segment on the Sox and Kruk and Reynolds both seemed like they liked the move. They said it improved the offense and that they needed to make sure they could find a left handed bat to ensure the investment they just made in Konerko.

Than they went to Gammons and that tool Steve Phillips. Gammons raved about Anderson, Owens (said how much Ozzie likes him) and than Chris Young and said how strong the system was that they have 3 top notch CF prospects (plus they traded Reed away in the Garcia deal). Phillips went on to say thats a credit to the Sox and thats how you got to do things, ocassionally developing in house guys and trading from a strength (which they did).

It was a pretty good segment from what I could tell.

To add on to the above post, I watched the BBTN thing today, and at least Kruk kind of flip flopped about the deal. At first he said Thome was a good addition, then later when they specifically focused on the trade he said the Sox will miss Rowand a lot because of his defense and the way the team is built.

They did stress, Reynolds actually did this, how important it was to get Thome to protect the huge investement in PK, so there was good and bad comments about the trade from the "experts" except that a few times I have heard Gammons praise the move, with him stressing the depth of the Sox OF.

Also some other notes that were mentioned on BBTN that I didn't see covered in this post...

Mark Grudzielankek (OK, i know that's not how it's spelled, but I'm on a slow connection and not going to find how to spell it!!) is going to sign with the Mets on Thursday so they don't lose a pick (Cards won't offer him arbitration)

Burnett's agents are there and were meeting with the Cards today, basically said that the Blue Jays deal has been on the table for a while for 5 years, and the fact that he hasn't taken it shows he's kind of waiting for something else.

Phillie's may still be looking to trade Abreu, might be hard with his strict no-trade clause. Houston may be heavy after him, Blue Jays will be, but questionable whether he'll waive his no trade for the Jays.

Gammons is saying Manny may move, but also can stay and he'll still produce for the Red Sox

Best was Gammons said that Furcal signing with the Dodgers "crippled" the Cubs offseason plans, add to that that Steve Stone was on the Score today and basically said the same thing. Stone expects Hendry to make moves he normally wouldn't make due to losing out on Furcal, meaning he might trade prospects he normally wouldn't trade.

Stone's main point was that at some point you have to overpay and it's either going to be money or prospects, and if the Cubs want to improve they'll now have to overpay in prospects to improve.

I think Griffey Jr is on the Sox radar screen to play CF. Or was that last year? Hard to keep up with these things. KW likes aging stars who can still produce. You wait and watch BBTN this week and I'll bet KG Jr's name comes up again going to the White Sox.

Maybe Tony Graffanino comes back too as super sub even though I see he wants to play everyday. He might come close as a Sox sub though.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
I think Griffey Jr is on the Sox radar screen to play CF. Or was that last year? Hard to keep up with these things. KW likes aging stars who can still produce. You wait and watch BBTN this week and I'll bet KG Jr's name comes up again going to the White Sox.

Maybe Tony Graffanino comes back too as super sub even though I see he wants to play everyday. He might come close as a Sox sub though.

As much as I would love to imagine the KGJr of old playing CF with the Sox, it just doesn't and won't happen, I think. Just imagining a 100% healthy Griffey in a Sox uni playing CF and batting 5th makes me want to cry but it won't happen. He just cant stay healthy enought to play a majority of the season in CF.

Just want to give a thumbs up to these BBTN specials. Both have been really good and it's basically been similar to this board, but on TV! Meaning it's Kruk, Phillips, Reynolds, Gammons, Stark, Ravich and the other dude (completely slipping my mind) sitting around and B.S.ing about baseball.

Of course they say things that I disagree with, but it's real casual and the guys are given a lot more time to explain their stances.

I suggest taping tomorrows or DVRing it, it's been quality

Edited by SoxFan562004