DeLay Conspiracy charges tossed

NUKE_CLEVELAND

Here's why this charge was thrown out: doesn't mean he didn't do it, just means the Republicans were 1/2 right when they said that the particular law wasn't on the books until 2003.

In asking that the case be thrown out, DeLay lawyer Dick DeGuerin argued that one of the charges -- conspiracy to violate the Texas election code -- did not even take effect until September 2003, a year after the alleged offenses occurred.

Prosecutors, however, said the crime of conspiracy was already on the books, and could be applied to the election code even though such uses were not explicitly in state law at the time.

The judge was not persuaded by that argument and dismissed the conspiracy charge.

But the judge upheld charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. Those charges involve an alleged attempt by DeLay to conceal the source of the campaign contributions by funneling the money through his own political action committee and then an arm of the Republican National Committee.

In trying to have those charges thrown out, the defense argued that the Texas money laundering law does not apply to funds in the form of a check -- just coins or paper money. But the judge said that checks "are clearly funds and can be the subject of money laundering."

The defense attorneys also argued that the definition of money laundering in Texas involves the transfer of criminal proceeds. Because the money in this case was not illegal to begin with, they argued, money laundering never occurred.

But the judge rejected that argument.

Conspiracy to violate the election code carries up to two years in prison. Money laundering is punishable by five years to life. Conspiracy to commit money laundering carries two years.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
After the years of the Clinton witch hunt, the Congressional conservatives have no f***ing room to talk about vendettas.

Yes, Clinton lied about a BJ under oath.  However, many of the other stories (i.e. Troopergate etc.) were total and complete BS.

And then again many were not, the Repubs just didn't have the ability to get him for them.

Gallup. 12/1-4. MoE 4%. (No trend lines).  22nd district, Texas.

If Tom DeLay runs for re-election in 2006, in general, are you more likely to vote for the Republican candidate Tom DeLay or for the Democratic Party's candidate for Congress?

DeLay 36

The Democrat 49

Voters' Opinion of Tom DeLay

Favorable 37

Unfavorable 52

Based on what you have heard or read, do you think the charges against DeLay are definitely true, probably true, probably not true, or definitely not true?

Definitely True 15

Probably True 40

Probably False 26

Definitely False 8

It's funny watching the spin on this. The Republicans say its vindication for a witch hunt. The Democrats say its the Money Laundering charge that really matters to begin with.

And Delay's motion to dismiss the money laundering charge said since the money was paid for with a check, its not technically money laundering. The judge basically said that they were full of crap. If that's their defense, maybe the Hammer does have something to worry about.

I got a kick out of the 'not money laundering if it's a check' defense as well.

But I'm still not sure why the DOJ higher-ups are not taking some serious heat for ignoring the unanimous recommendation of its lawyers against the Texas redistricting based on their assessment it would be illegal.

Dear James,

Each move they make we'll meet head on. We'll act quickly, decisively, and we won't yield an inch.

That's the powerful message supporters of Keeping America's Promise sent yesterday by responding to Dick Cheney's appearance at a Texas fundraiser for Tom DeLay by pouring tens of thousands of dollars into the campaign of DeLay's opponent, Nick Lampson.

Let's keep going. Let's raise tens of thousands more today for the Fight Back Fund, so that we'll always be at the ready when Democratic candidates need us the most.

SUPPORT THE FIGHT BACK FUND NOW

The Republican Party and its candidates are getting more desperate by the moment. They can feel the power slipping out of their hands. Their record of failure, incompetence and corruption has worn out their welcome with the American people.

And we know what kind of tactics the DeLay-Cheney Republicans use when they have their backs to the wall. That's why our Fight Back Fund has to be ready at a moment's notice.

We've got to tell Democratic candidates that they will never stand alone when Rove-like Republican operatives or Swift Boat-style attack groups come charging into their campaigns.

SUPPORT THE FIGHT BACK FUND NOW

Yesterday, we added to a very bad day for Tom DeLay. He learned that a judge refused to dismiss serious money laundering charges against him. And we refused to let Cheney's fundraising bailout of DeLay go unanswered.

Let's keep the pressure on. Donate now to the Fight Back Fund so that we can be ready at a moment's notice to take them on.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

I'm enjoying this so much I sent money to both sides to keep up the fight.

SpinnipSSpinnipSSpinnipSSpinnipS

The Republican Party and its candidates are getting more desperate by the moment. They can feel the power slipping out of their hands. Their record of failure, incompetence and corruption has worn out their welcome with the American people.

Perhaps, if the Democratic Party would stop with the sound bytes and stupid emails of how bad the Republicans suck, and actually come up with practical solutions, they wouldn't have to b**** about the Republicans being in power. What a concept, eh? I hate our government.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Perhaps, if the Democratic Party would stop with the sound bytes and stupid emails of how bad the Republicans suck, and actually come up with practical solutions, they wouldn't have to b**** about the Republicans being in power.  What a concept, eh?  I hate our government.

Thats the exact reason why the Democrats will not be in power again any time soon.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Perhaps, if the Democratic Party would stop with the sound bytes and stupid emails of how bad the Republicans suck, and actually come up with practical solutions, they wouldn't have to b**** about the Republicans being in power.  What a concept, eh?  I hate our government.

Did you get the canned phone call from the Chaney people? They (DeLay) needs money to fight the desperate Dems. LOL.

The fact that we have two opposing forces that do battle is a whole lot better than a one party system. I can't think of too many Monarchy and single power source countries that do very well for very long. Usually the world community (US) has to come in a kick some ass and fix that situation.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Did you get the canned phone call from the Chaney people? They (DeLay) needs money to fight the desperate Dems. LOL.

The fact that we have two opposing forces that do battle is a whole lot better than a one party system. I can't think of too many Monarchy and single power source countries that do very well for very long. Usually the world community (US) has to come in a kick some ass and fix that situation.

I did see the Cheney bit. It's unreal.

And I'm really getting to the point where I'd rather see a parliamentary system. As it exists now, no one has a chance... except for Hillary.

Even the Republicans have pretty much bowed down to her.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)

I dont give political parties any money anymore. All that accomplishes is getting them to call you constantly nagging you for more.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I dont give political parties any money anymore.  All that accomplishes is getting them to call you constantly nagging you for more.

I was friends with the GOP County head here and gave to a couple of the candidates that I knew and respected. That list was given up the line to the State and National levels so I still get some calls, emails, and letters. I enjoy staying in the loop on the latest spin and talking points. It's almost as good as listening to Rush, only less commercials.

The problem the GOP has in this area is they have almost 0 chance of winning. So you have sacrificial lambs running. Hard to get a serious candidate, with good qualifications, to tilt windmills.

Nuke, you can launder that Hillary check through me, so your buddies don't know you're backing a Dem

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)

Nuke, you can launder that Hillary check through me, so your buddies don't know you're backing a Dem

LOL!

Since I like to view Hillary as the Anti-Christ at that point you can have me committed cause you will know I'm clinically insane.