Zito to Dodgers?

Kyyle23

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3279184

DALLAS - The Dodgers are engaged in discussions with the Oakland Athletics on a potential trade that would involve troubled Dodgers outfielder Milton Bradley and A's left-hander and former Cy Young Award winner Barry Zito.

It is unclear what additional players, if any, are involved in the discussions, but officials for both clubs are expected to meet sometime today, when baseball's annual winter meetings begin here today.

During his two years with the Dodgers, Bradley was suspended twice, ejected from three games, underwent anger management counseling, and probably sealed his departure in August when he implied that teammate Jeff Kent was a racist.

Zito is a proven veteran who will be eligible for free agency after next season, and potentially could fill the starting rotation spot left vacant with the expected departure of right-hander Jeff Weaver through free agency. Zito would also cost the Dodgers slightly less than the $9.35 million they paid Weaver in 2005.

I really dont know what Billy Beane is doing now. It seems like every year he does stranger and stranger things, and last year his core group was broken up, and they didnt make the playoffs. Now he brings in a guy who A) cant stay healthy, and B) is a deranged psychopath. I just dont get it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Now he brings in a guy who A) cant stay healthy, and B) is a deranged psychopath.  I just dont get it.

I think in his mind it's all about finding value. Milton Bradley is a very good player, who had as far as I know 1 season where he wasn't healthy. He puts up good numbers when he is healthy. Beane has to figure that he'll be available cheap compared to his numbers (I.e. he can drag more prospects out of the Dodgers for Zito) because he's taking the Bradley problem off of LA's hands.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
There is NO WAY its just Bradley for Zito, no way.

The Dodgers have some stud prospects. I don't think Joel Guzman would fit there (since they have Chavez locked up) but I would definately be thinking that Beane would be going after some of the Dodgers top prospects (all of which were in AA last year or well the vast majority were).

Bradley and two top prospects would be a good move by the A's, imo, and there isn't a system I'd rather be getting a prospect from (I think in terms of high ceiling prospects they rank amongst the best in the biz right now).

Heres the rotoworld headline

Latest News  Dec. 5, 2005 - 12:28 pm et

The A's and Dodgers are reportedly discussing a deal that would sent Barry Zito to Los Angeles for Milton Bradley.

We can only assume some very good prospects would be involved, as Zito has far more trade value than Bradley, a player the vast majority of teams seem to have no interest in taking a chance on. It figures that top pitching prospect Chad Billingley would be involved. The A's might also want a Joel Guzman or Russell Martin.

Source: Los Angeles Daily News

If they somehow landed Billingsley and Guzman plus Bradley than the A's would be totally heisting the Dodgers.

That said the Dodgers are in win now mode and they have a payroll to the point where they can afford to trade prospects (evne though they are supposedly going to be lowering there payroll into the low to mid 80's.

If they get Zito, I'd look for them to deal Odalis Perez pretty quickly to free up some payroll cause Perez isn't going to stick around.

That seems like a pretty fair trade. Ramos has been around for a while (in the minors, IIRC) and Saaraloos seemed to come into his own. The Dodgers would be getting a solid 4th or 5th starter and a prospect which isn't bad considering they want to unload Bradley badly.

It gives the A's a pretty good bat and if he stays healthy and keeps his mouth shut he's one of the better outfielders in baseball (offensively).

I don't even need to browse Oakland related threads anymore on Soxtalk. I hear any rumor relating to an Oakland player under trade consideration, and I assume Beane will swindle the opposition. He's so gosh darn smart. No playoff series victories will lend you that consideration.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
I don't even need to browse Oakland related threads anymore on Soxtalk. I hear any rumor relating to an Oakland player under trade consideration, and I assume Beane will swindle the opposition. He's so gosh darn smart. No playoff series victories will lend you that consideration.

Are you implying how Beane seems to be worshiped by most on here?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Are you implying how Beane seems to be worshiped by most on here?

I didn't intend to suggest anyone on Soxtalk (atleast on this thread-- :P) are Beane apologists. Just my sarcastic manner of addressing Beane's Disciples. Nothing posted within this thread influenced my post.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
I didn't intend to suggest anyone on Soxtalk (atleast on this thread-- :P) are Beane apologists. Just my sarcastic manner of addressing Beane's Disciples. Nothing posted within this thread influenced my post.

Alright just making sure I inferred correctly and I know what your talking about. Hell, I'm one of the few that feels he's over-rated. Now I almost think he makes moves to try and find ways to become even more beloved and more amazing (for what he can do with a small market club).

I know he traded away his pitchers and got some good prospects but I don't see how it made sense to deal away Hudson because of salary and than go get an overpaid guy like Kendall (albeit it wasn't exactly a financial wash).

Time will tell though and thus far our GM has one more World Series Ring :cheers