Angels & Sox looking at Crawford

That funky motion

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
You know how most people at this site think Anderson won't really be a step down from Rowand?  Well Crawford isn't really that much more in value than Rowand.  So what gives?  He just fits nicely in the 2-hole?

Crawford is so much more of an offensive threat than Rowand, and he's improving each season.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know how most people at this site think Anderson won't really be a step down from Rowand?  Well Crawford isn't really that much more in value than Rowand.  So what gives?  He just fits nicely in the 2-hole?

Crawford is only 24 years old, he's a lefty bat, and he has a ton of speed to steal bases. He can't play center field like Rowand but his bat is getting better every year. He put up a .800 OPS last season. He has a ton more upside than Rowand.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Crawford is so much more of an offensive threat than Rowand, and he's improving each season.

Agreed, and Rowand most likely peaked in 2004, while Crawford has the potential to be a 30 homer guy and 60 sb's, he's got potential through the roof and you can see it developing every year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell Crawford will get traded.  The guy I've long thought would be traded is Rocco, and the Red Sox could potentially be a great fit if they lose Damon.

Why would the drays sign Rocco to a long term deal and then trade him?

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Whoever they get, this is exactly the thought process.  They move Chris Young in, and put whoever in LF, that could be somebody they move over, or Jerry Owens.

I don't think you will see Young, Owens, or Sweeney traded.

My thought is its really unrealistic to expect to develop all 3 of them. If you could develop one of them (C. Young preferably) and find Crawford you now have two guys that will be young and hopefully talented for a long time. Than you see what happens with Dye.

If Sweeney turns into that guy, than bam. I couldn't see Owens, Young and Crawford working simply because defensively it makes no sense, you'd have no RFers.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)

Imo, Crawford >>> Rowand offensively and is a perfect fit for the 2 hole. Crawford has more pop, more speed, can steal more bases, basically does everything >>> Rowand with the exception of defense. Plus he's a few years younger and signed long term.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
My thought is its really unrealistic to expect to develop all 3 of them.  If you could develop one of them (C. Young preferably) and find Crawford you now have two guys that will be young and hopefully talented for a long time.  Than you see what happens with Dye. 

If Sweeney turns into that guy, than bam. I couldn't see Owens, Young and Crawford working simply because defensively it makes no sense, you'd have no RFers.

If you have Young and Crawford and somehow Owens fits in there. That's a amazing rangy outfield, with 40+ sb potential all the way through. That is exciting.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)

In Rowand's worst season, and Crawford's best season, Rowand hit more 2B's per AB and they had identical HR per AB figures. Both of their K:BB rates are pitiful. Crawford will steal you a lot more bases, but he's a minimal offensive upgrade.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)

The thing I love is every season Crawford has gotten better and he's already good. He has the ability to be a pretty dynamic player.

i also echo the sentiments that it isnt very likely that crawford gets traded....

in terms of our finanical ceiling... hanh has been recently quoted saying,

"after we go to arbitration with AJ, Garland, and Crede we're pretty much set. that dosent mean if the right person is there we wont get him. we did that last year in Iguchi."

and i have to reiderate people:

CONSIDER THE SOURCE! ive never heard of these people and really find it hard to believe them when they type "and/or" fields.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
If you have Young and Crawford and somehow Owens fits in there.  That's a amazing rangy outfield, with 40+ sb potential all the way through.  That is exciting.

Speed doesn't equate to a good defensive outfield and an Owens/Young/Crawford outfield would be poor, imo. Young has the ability to be above avg, Crawford is an above Avg left fielder but no one could play right and Owens is not a good defensive player (and thats as a left fielder).

Haven't read all of the thread but I would imagine someone pointed out that the Rays will have little to no interest in Anderson as they are well stocked in that department. That means that we could keep either Anderson/Young and use one of them in center in 07 and use Crawford to replace Podsednik. I've been pretty much against trading BMac but I'd have to contemplate this one because Crawford is a beast. If there was a way to do it by trading ANY other combo of minor leaguers-sign me up

The only reason I don't think this is that realistic a rumor is that KW has stated he's basically done in terms of bigs moves for the offseason. It could just be a plan so he can fly under the radar, but still. (this might have been posted inbetween the first and 8th page.. I'm too lazy to read all of the posts speculating on who the Sox would have to give up etc.)